Suggestion Changing IRC rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make a good point. If a person can stop using that kind of language at say a job interview or at work, or any professional environment, why can't they dial it back here too?
Because this isn't a formal environment.
This is meant to be fun, and censoring adults is not really fun.
I don't mind censoring in public chats in which minors are able to view/read.
But I really hope these rules apply in private messages ingame or guild chats

It's better to just accept the fact that they want to treat us like 6 year olds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly. I find it so annoying.
Is swearing in guild/private chats also going to get us banned as well?
Nope. Coming to that conclusion is...thinking like a 6 year old.

The point is, rules are made to be followed but to that point...there has to be a concise understanding people do take away from to understand that when you both say and intend something ('innocent') written you're not going to receive repercussion because you were unaware.

Nope. Coming to that conclusion is...thinking like a 6 year old.

The point is, rules are made to be followed but to that point...there has to be a concise understanding people do take away from to understand that when you both say and intend something ('innocent') written you're not going to receive repercussion because you were unaware.

First and foremost, thank you for calling my way of thinking childish because I asked a question.
Moving on, rules are made to protect and ensure a joyful experience to all the players, not simply "to be followed".
Finally, your last sentence unfortunately made no sense, at least not to me. If you could just rephrase that in a simpler form, I would appreciate that.

The fact of the matter is, the developers want to keep the original E10 rating on this game. Towards that end, swearing will most likely not be allowed. All it will do is make it seem as if someone is a so-called "keyboard warrior" if they do so profusely, as well as make them seem immature. I just don't see the point in it being necessary. You can always go into a discord, skype, or teamspeak chat and swear all you want there. I'd prefer to not get into a debate over this, so I've said my piece. Take it how you will.

Not entirely sure why this is a debate in the first place. Rules are rules. They are not up for free user-alteration. If, as adults (as you claim to be now in an aging community), you cannot abide by a simple set of rules, then there are larger issues at stake.

Let's keep POTCO the way it was. This includes its chat restrictions. As TLOPO's lead moderator, I have the pleasure of seeing all the nasty things everyone says. We are not ready for "open chat." Sorry. Not happening. This goes for IRC as well.

It's easier just to follow the rules. Save both parties the hassle.

Not entirely sure why this is a debate in the first place. Rules are rules. They are not up for free user-alteration. If, as adults (as you claim to be now in an aging community), you cannot abide by a simple set of rules, then there are larger issues at stake.

Let's keep POTCO the way it was. This includes its chat restrictions. As TLOPO's lead moderator, I have the pleasure of seeing all the nasty things everyone says. We are not ready for "open chat." Sorry. Not happening. This goes for IRC as well.

I get the point you're trying to make, but even in-game, POTCO had open chat. You are also stating to keep POTCO the way it was, and it allowed for users to get access to open chat with some certain requirements, unsure what they were but it was there. It's just a struggle to communicate with others, and again I don't mean this in any way as hate or disrespect, I am simply stating how I see it. Thanks :D

I get the point you're trying to make, but even in-game, POTCO had open chat. You are also stating to keep POTCO the way it was, and it allowed for users to get access to open chat with some certain requirements, unsure what they were but it was there. It's just a struggle to communicate with others, and again I don't mean this in any way as hate or disrespect, I am simply stating how I see it. Thanks :D
The main difference between now and then is that the community now has essentially direct access over what goes into the whitelist. Did you have a say in the whitelist when Disney was in charge? Nope. Things are much easier now.

Bottom line is... If there's something you can't say (and it is otherwise appropriate), then suggest it! If anything, TLOPO is now less restrictive than POTCO due to the community's involvement with the whitelist.

Anyway - this thread is about IRC - but I feel the same principles apply with regards to rules.

First and foremost, thank you for calling my way of thinking childish because I asked a question.
Moving on, rules are made to protect and ensure a joyful experience to all the players, not simply "to be followed".
Finally, your last sentence unfortunately made no sense, at least not to me. If you could just rephrase that in a simpler form, I would appreciate that.
The childish point was not directed at you. (I included more than just one quote to that post. However, you agreed to exactly what that other quote was 'concluding' so...).

If you're interested to understand what I meant by that last post, review again this one: https://piratesforums.co/threads/changing-irc-rules.16356/#post-230997. I will reiterate again:

• rules are to be followed (if ye don't agree with them, find something else to do)
  • examples to some rules are needed to assure nothing is left too vague
  • I'm a proponent of every opinion here being taken seriously where all parties are satisfied

Last edited by a moderator:
The main difference between now and then is that the community now has essentially direct access over what goes into the whitelist. Did you have a say in the whitelist when Disney was in charge? Nope. Things are much easier now.

Bottom line is... If there's something you can't say (and it is otherwise appropriate), then suggest it! If anything, TLOPO is now less restrictive than POTCO due to the community's involvement with the whitelist.

Anyway - this thread is about IRC - but I feel the same principles apply with regards to rules.
Yeah i felt it had the same purpose as the IRC rules, and if I ever do have the patience to post each individual thing I want to type, you'll see me on the whitelist thread :D

As far as IRC goes, I agree on not having an open chat in the public channels.
As far as in game goes, may I suggest adding a poll that asks the community if they would like to have access to open chat?
We could do it so that only older players have the access to open chat, and all their messages will be censored to the (closed chat? not sure what is it called) if they contained words from the blacklist

The childish point was not directed at you. (I included more than just one quote to that post. However, you agreed to exactly what that other quote was 'concluding' so...).

If you're interested to understand what I meant by that last post, review again this one: https://piratesforums.co/threads/changing-irc-rules.16356/#post-230997. I will reiterate again:

• rules are to be followed (if ye don't agree to them, find something else to do)
  • examples to some rules are needed to assure nothing is left too vague
  • I'm a proponent of every opinion here being taken seriously where all parties are satisfied

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

The current chat system is here to stay. This is not up for debate.

As stated before, if there is something you'd like added to the whitelist, please post your suggestions in the whitelist thread.

With that being said, I'm going to close out this thread. I apologize to those who offered workarounds, but the team has no prospects for enabling POTCO's version of open chat. The current whitelist system is more than adequate to meet the communication needs of our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back