Suggestion Changing Server and Island Simultaneously

Should we have a feature that allows us to Change islands and Servers Simultaneously?

• Total voters

Jim Hexskull

Wiki Staff
So recently, I loaded into the game, and spawned on the docks of Padres del Fuego. I thought to myself, "Self, I'd like to go loot." I checked my server and realized I was on Abassa (which was packed, mind you,) and wanted to switch to Poderoso. I also, however wanted to go to Isla Tormenta to loot, so I'd need to launch my ship from cuba, for the shortest journey. That's when it hit me, a rock that a bird dropped from the sky, that is. Then I had a thought, and I said to myself "Self, why don't we have a feature that allows us to Teleport to another island AND change servers, at the same time?" Seeing as teleporting too much can cause crashes right now, I'd see it as a good idea to help players stay online longer during the beta, and it would prove convenient after the live release.

So what do you think? I like it, personally. I also got hit in the head with a rock, so who knows what that means? (I certainly don't. I may need to pay a visit to Doc Grog.)

It's definitely a neat trick, but I'm talking about a legitimate feature put in by the devs. Maybe make it to where like if you want to just change servers double click the new server, if you want to change islands as well, click the server once, then the island. Just a mere thought of course it could be improved. However I think, if implemented, it could be great.

It's definitely a neat trick, but I'm talking about a legitimate feature put in by the devs. Maybe make it to where like if you want to just change servers double click the new server, if you want to change islands as well, click the server once, then the island. Just a mere thought of course it could be improved. However I think, if implemented, it could be great.
That'd be really useful, I mean it was there in alpha I believe, I didn't play. But you could basically teleport to every island. I also think a teleportation totem quest for all islands would be nice.

That'd be really useful, I mean it was there in alpha I believe, I didn't play. But you could basically teleport to every island. I also think a teleportation totem quest for all islands would be nice.
Indeed. Once the game is stable enough to handle new content I'd love to see it.

I've been waiting for this to come along oh man oh man
(tl;dr: click the spoiler at the bottom. i promise this is the longest post i will ever make on here)

I think, provided one had the teleport totem for a given island, the option should be readily available. I would however keep stowaway separate from this, and default the system to the player's port of call (no 'random' option like for servers)

I would like to add that this idea has occurred to me as well and probably many others, so out of curiosity I slapped together a quick idea of how it might look because in all honesty this is probably one of the few suggestions that will come to fruition, sadly.
Unfortunately, I don't see a viable option for implementation as far as aesthetics are concerned, that is, without changing the way the map page looks quite a bit.

When Disney designed Pirates Online's drop-down menus, they had a plan laid out and designed according to that plan. And while there's nothing wrong with that, the big yellow part doesn't leave much room for additional menus on the map page.

xehTHR8.png

watch someone not get the joke

On the select a pirate screen, however, there happens to be a boatload of space for the menu to pop up, as well as a Disney-created drop-down menu of a slightly different form factor. While that isn't exactly the point of where I'm getting at, I'll throw it out there now that I'd like to see the option to choose which island to log in to from this screen as well if that is in any way possible. I didn't attempt to design that, but I did successfully manage to fit two of these, side by side menus into the map screen. It should be noted they were made ever so slightly smaller. I think it's actually rather cute. Scroll down to the bottom of this post to see the completed mockup.

I have a few final thoughts to share regarding this suggestion:
If the island selection were its own panel, this could make irrelevant the lower part of the map you drag around to your destination, leaving it only useful for ship navigation. Considering that's the point of a physical map, I am hesitant to support this idea, but efficiency-wise I feel that it is the right thing to do. To each their own playing style, maybe?

Finally, the way these panels work is you expand the menu, decide which server to go to, click it, and you immediately get teleported there. If you wanted to select a server AND an island different from the one you're on, you couldn't because upon clicking you are immediately teleported. See my next points for potential solutions to this problem.

- One solution is to force the user to confirm the selection before teleporting, giving them time to decide both options and click a button before proceeding. This is not as efficient as what POTCO had and looters/long-time players would probably be frustrated by this change, but it is the cleanest and most logical solution I could think of. If a server is not selected but an island is, then the teleport defaults to whatever server the player is already on.

- Another solution is to not make the island panel usable until the server has been selected, making both panels mandatory to select. A confirm button isn't necessarily used here, which a lot of players might end up preferring. However this is not a very efficient solution as some players may wish to simply change islands without having to check which server they're already on.

- The OP had the idea that if you wanted to only change servers you would double-click the new server's name, but if you wanted to change islands as well, you would click the server's name once, then the island's. I wouldn't say this is a bad idea per se, it is just not as practical in my opinion as a button to confirm the selection first.

U0kVYsH.jpg

...that was underwhelming.

With all of this said I do not intend to change anyone's opinions about this idea as I'm sure the developers/designers could pull this off much more beautifully than I ever could. Just offering some food for thought so people can get a basic idea of the way the mechanic could or would be implemented so they can get used to it early on.

(As a side note, if anybody can extract the ingame font and convert it to a usable format it would be extremely useful in the future)

(again, tl;dr: just click the above spoiler.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting for this to come along oh man oh man
(tl;dr: click the spoiler at the bottom. i promise this is the longest post i will ever make on here)

I think, provided one had the teleport totem for a given island, the option should be readily available. I would however keep stowaway separate from this, and default the system to the player's port of call (no 'random' option like for servers)

I would like to add that this idea has occurred to me as well and probably many others, so out of curiosity I slapped together a quick idea of how it might look because in all honesty this is probably one of the few suggestions that will come to fruition, sadly.
Unfortunately, I don't see a viable option for implementation as far as aesthetics are concerned, that is, without changing the way the map page looks quite a bit.

When Disney designed Pirates Online's drop-down menus, they had a plan laid out and designed according to that plan. And while there's nothing wrong with that, the big yellow part doesn't leave much room for additional menus on the map page.

xehTHR8.png

watch someone not get the joke

On the select a pirate screen, however, there happens to be a boatload of space for the menu to pop up, as well as a Disney-created drop-down menu of a slightly different form factor. While that isn't exactly the point of where I'm getting at, I'll throw it out there now that I'd like to see the option to choose which island to log in to from this screen as well if that is in any way possible. I didn't attempt to design that, but I did successfully manage to fit two of these, side by side menus into the map screen. It should be noted they were made ever so slightly smaller. I think it's actually rather cute. Scroll down to the bottom of this post to see the completed mockup.

I have a few final thoughts to share regarding this suggestion:
If the island selection were its own panel, this could make irrelevant the lower part of the map you drag around to your destination, leaving it only useful for ship navigation. Considering that's the point of a physical map, I am hesitant to support this idea, but efficiency-wise I feel that it is the right thing to do. To each their own playing style, maybe?

Finally, the way these panels work is you expand the menu, decide which server to go to, click it, and you immediately get teleported there. If you wanted to select a server AND an island different from the one you're on, you couldn't because upon clicking you are immediately teleported. See my next points for potential solutions to this problem.

- One solution is to force the user to confirm the selection before teleporting, giving them time to decide both options and click a button before proceeding. This is not as efficient as what POTCO had and looters/long-time players would probably be frustrated by this change, but it is the cleanest and most logical solution I could think of. If a server is not selected but an island is, then the teleport defaults to whatever server the player is already on.

- Another solution is to not make the island panel usable until the server has been selected, making both panels mandatory to select. A confirm button isn't necessarily used here, which a lot of players might end up preferring. However this is not a very efficient solution as some players may wish to simply change islands without having to check which server they're already on.

- The OP had the idea that if you wanted to only change servers you would double-click the new server's name, but if you wanted to change islands as well, you would click the server's name once, then the island's. I wouldn't say this is a bad idea per se, it is just not as practical in my opinion as a button to confirm the selection first.

U0kVYsH.jpg

...that was underwhelming.

With all of this said I do not intend to change anyone's opinions about this idea as I'm sure the developers/designers could pull this off much more beautifully than I could ever imagine. Just offering some food for thought so people can get a basic idea of the way the mechanic could or would be implemented so they can get used to it early on.

(As a side note, if anybody can extract the ingame font it would be extremely useful in the future)

(again, tl;dr: just click the above spoiler.)
woah that second ui looks so modern, and would be so useful.

your moving mouse GIF made me think i got hacked again and my computer was being remote controlled again.

Back