Guide Charles Warmonk's Skill Setup [ Looter ]

Charles Warmonk

Wiki Staff
This is the skill layout I use for my looting style of playing the game. I have found that it is the most useful looting setup in this game.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a guide for EVERYONE, if you are not level 50, and you are not fully maxed in your skills. This guide isn't for you.

Cannon: Shoot, Rapid Fire, and most importantly Barrage. From there you want to always have Round Shot maxed along with your ammo that correlates with your ship type. Since cannon ammo damage increases your broadsides ammo attacks. [Since I have Skull & Bones and Copperhead, I used Fury & Explosives.]
latest

Sailing, you want to max out both Left & Right Broadsides. Then you want to have 1 skill point on all your support skills. [Full Sail, Come About, Open Fire, Ramming Speed, and Take Cover] Then you want to max out 3 of your passive skills, Windcatcher for speed, Tacking for turning, and Taskmaster for reloading your broadsides faster.
latest

Sword, you will a majority of the time be using a broadsword. So you want to have your high hitting combo skills doing a lot of damage, you should always open up any engagement with a Sweep the only time you don't is when you're fighting single target enemies. Then you open with a Bladestorm.
latest

Gun, Maxing Shoot is for repeaters, and maxing Take Aim is for pistols. You want to have Bane, Silver, and Steel shot for fighting all types of enemies. However, MANY people forget to max out their Sharp Shooter passive skill. Please note, if you max this out on a fully maxed pirate you have a 0% chance to miss. You'll always hit 100% of the time. [Unless Taunted]
latest

Dagger: Max last 3 combos for damage, Viper's Nest for fast AOE damage between sword skills. However, the most important thing to max in this is the passives. Finesse & Blade Instance. They will increase your sword damage & skill recharge rate [Effecting skills like Sweep & Blade Storm!]
latest

Doll: Really good for high hp targets. [Bosses] So you will want your Attune maxed, Curse Maxed [30% more damage is HUGE] Life Drain in case you need quick self-healing, and I highly recommend maxing your Spirit Ward it gives you a small 10% chance to resist enemy voodoo attack. [Like the annoying Grave Shackes!]
latest

Grenade: Max general damage attacks, and always put 1 point on Stink Pot the skill does low damage but is effective for tagging enemies with looting with a big group without killing them. It also has the largest AOE [Area Of Effect] of any weapon in the game. [As well as can hit in the respawn bubble] The only passive skill you NEED is Demolitions, it nearly DOUBLES the AOE [Area Of Effect] of your grenades. Well, and of course Siege Charge.
latest

Staff: Really only need 2 skills for attack. Wither & Flaming Skull. Wither does lower a enemies attack, and Flaming Skull does massive damage and flys far. You don't NEED Conservation because a max level 50 with Consideration has 50% faster voodoo recharge rate, effectively giving you infinite voodoo power. And of course Spirit Mastery for more 25% more damage!
latest

That's everything!
If you have any questions let me know!

I would reccomend taking the 2 points out of Parry on the sword skill and 1 out of sweep and putting them into endurance, but other than that really good guide and I agree with everything else!

Don't see a point in using either. You have to remember, so players like to farm Palifico and doing it solo even with a blunder requires a lot of time.
A curse with one skill point lasts a duration of 60 seconds. Its cooldown time is 30 seconds. There isn't any reason to extend the skill's duration when it is already longer than the time it would take to use the skill again (unless you are also using a sword has a unique Weapon Skill like Leviathan's curse. But as you suggested, in most cases it's wiser to use a gun).

Also, a player who is using their doll to provide support and utility for other players in a group (curse, red fury, healing, burning) is more valuable if they can provide a little extra dps from their doll as well.

I was messing around with curse earlier, and you can kill Remington the Vicious using only sword combos within the duration of the ability at only one skill point. I don't see much point in investing in it.
Yes, I use rank 1 curse also, it lasts long enough to kill all but the un soloable Palifico and Foulberto and so feel it is not worth spending a second point on.

I also think it's important to have access to the Thunderbolt cannon ammunition. In mat runs, it's very useful for tagging ships at a distance to ensure you receive their loot.
I use basically the same build as Charles except I never spend on shrapnel, I'm under the impression that it doesn't work, and I often retrain to different ammo types. Always max round and 2 other types depending on the ship I intend to sail. It's the one and only weapon skill inventory that I often retrain which I do in order to switch ships

Interesting guide.
I avoid using skill points, except the basic ones for a weapon to function, until I'm well into the 20s level.
I also agree with Eric that shrapnel is pointless, but I could be wrong in agreeing with Eric on that...
I also would not use points on parry or cool down time, as the points there are not useful enough as far as return on investments go.
Too many points for healing is also something I'd avoid.

Now of course Charles didn't ask me to share my opinions here and his guide is as he says, but I wanted to share anyway!

Interesting guide.
I avoid using skill points, except the basic ones for a weapon to function, until I'm well into the 20s level.
I also agree with Eric that shrapnel is pointless, but I could be wrong in agreeing with Eric on that...
I also would not use points on parry or cool down time, as the points there are not useful enough as far as return on investments go.
Too many points for healing is also something I'd avoid.

Now of course Charles didn't ask me to share my opinions here and his guide is as he says, but I wanted to share anyway!
I always put one on parry so that I get the full advantage that many sabres give with parry boosts. I am a sabre buff so this may not apply to all players.

Very nice Charles! I see a lot of similarities. My cannon setup is often the same unless I feel like using my Storm Chaser/Fortune Hunter ships (but I mainly stick to my Copperhead beast). In sailing, I have the same setup except I use that second skill point from full sail on treasure sense. My sword setup is slightly different, just because I like having the 3440 health! So I have 5 on all of the combos except for hack, I have 5 on blade storm and endurance, then the one on the parry. My shooting is slightly different as instead of putting 5 on Bane Shot, I have it on Eagle Eye. I think my doll setup is almost the same except for 5 on focus rather than spirit ward (again, quite useless but I just like having the maximum possible voodoo/health) and whilst valid points have been made the 5 on curse isn't necessary, I like its length, especially for defeating the bosses with more HP. My dagger is exactly the same. My grenade setup is quite different. I don't put any on the throw, I just have 5 on long valley, siege charge and the four at the bottom. My staff setup is the same except for instead of 5 on wither, I have it on conservation.

Overall, glad to know I have a similar setup to yerself!

What I'm tryna understand is why people think "setups" matter. This ain't dragon age or guild wars or such. You can master any and all weapons. And the only thing that matters is killing alot of things very fast. It doesn't really make a difference what your skills are as long as you have half a brain and a little thought.

The three things and only things you need to get famed/ cursed/ legendary:

Time - it takes alot of time, an
unhealthy lazy amount of time. That, contrary to popular belief, is better spent doing something else. In real life.

Speed - the more ya kill the more chances ya get, kill faster = more chances

Spot - this is less important, but it has to be high level enemies (duh), and if you want certain weapons say a bayonet - Padres or Kingshead or maybe a cursed famed - Tormenta or Raven's

This is the skill layout I use for my looting style of playing the game. I have found that it is the most useful looting setup in this game.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a guide for EVERYONE, if you are not level 50, and you are not fully maxed in your skills. This guide isn't for you.

Cannon: Shoot, Rapid Fire, and most importantly Barrage. From there you want to always have Round Shot maxed along with your ammo that correlates with your ship type. Since cannon ammo damage increases your broadsides ammo attacks. [Since I have Skull & Bones and Copperhead, I used Fury & Explosives.]
latest

Sailing, you want to max out both Left & Right Broadsides. Then you want to have 1 skill point on all your support skills. [Full Sail, Come About, Open Fire, Ramming Speed, and Take Cover] Then you want to max out 3 of your passive skills, Windcatcher for speed, Tacking for turning, and Taskmaster for reloading your broadsides faster.
latest

Sword, you will a majority of the time be using a broadsword. So you want to have your high hitting combo skills doing a lot of damage, you should always open up any engagement with a Sweep the only time you don't is when you're fighting single target enemies. Then you open with a Bladestorm.
latest

Gun, Maxing Shoot is for repeaters, and maxing Take Aim is for pistols. You want to have Bane, Silver, and Steel shot for fighting all types of enemies. However, MANY people forget to max out their Sharp Shooter passive skill. Please note, if you max this out on a fully maxed pirate you have a 0% chance to miss. You'll always hit 100% of the time. [Unless Taunted]
latest

Dagger: Max last 3 combos for damage, Viper's Nest for fast AOE damage between sword skills. However, the most important thing to max in this is the passives. Finesse & Blade Instance. They will increase your sword damage & skill recharge rate [Effecting skills like Sweep & Blade Storm!]
latest

Doll: Really good for high hp targets. [Bosses] So you will want your Attune maxed, Curse Maxed [30% more damage is HUGE] Life Drain in case you need quick self-healing, and I highly recommend maxing your Spirit Ward it gives you a small 10% chance to resist enemy voodoo attack. [Like the annoying Grave Shackes!]
latest

Grenade: Max general damage attacks, and always put 1 point on Stink Pot the skill does low damage but is effective for tagging enemies with looting with a big group without killing them. It also has the largest AOE [Area Of Effect] of any weapon in the game. [As well as can hit in the respawn bubble] The only passive skill you NEED is Demolitions, it nearly DOUBLES the AOE [Area Of Effect] of your grenades. Well, and of course Siege Charge.
latest

Staff: Really only need 2 skills for attack. Wither & Flaming Skull. Wither does lower a enemies attack, and Flaming Skull does massive damage and flys far. You don't NEED Conservation because a max level 50 with Consideration has 50% faster voodoo recharge rate, effectively giving you infinite voodoo power. And of course Spirit Mastery for more 25% more damage!
latest

That's everything!
If you have any questions let me know!
One of the things I noticed which I thought was a waste of points was maxing the doll attune. As I understand it, it is only used to tag additional enemies for spells and I've never needed more than 3 basically and can use the points in life drain. BTW - Lava staff allows up to 8 points in flame. I have 1 in whither to use for aoe tagging. But of course thats me. To each his own.

One of the things I noticed which I thought was a waste of points was maxing the doll attune. As I understand it, it is only used to tag additional enemies for spells and I've never needed more than 3 basically and can use the points in life drain. BTW - Lava staff allows up to 8 points in flame. I have 1 in whither to use for aoe tagging. But of course thats me. To each his own.
Of course, many build points are spent differently than Charles' because people have different playing styles and different plans for the use of their items. Charles does have 5 points on Flaming Skull as likely do most due to the existence of the Lava Staff so I don't quite see your point there???

Back