Chat Filter Tolerance Increase

M

Mysty69

Yes this was originally a disney game, but surely we can turn down the filter now because I can't even say "brahh" without it gettting triggered.

I honestly think the use of a whitelist on the game is rather redundant. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but in my opinion it inhibits communication more than anything else, and is rather annoying to deal with, considering that if people really wanted to chat profanity, they would just bypass the filter anyways. o_o

- Mercy Fairbane

There has been numerous discussions about this before in many other threads. Think about this: if you only have a blacklist... the moderators will then be overloaded with having to oversee the chat even closer than they already probably have to do as well as there are like 100 filter workarounds for every possible blacklisted word. If the word "Stephen" is a bad word you could have "step hen" "steven" "steph en" etc.. it's just too tedious of a task to think of every possible filter evade when there is a thread where you can ask to have words whitelisted: https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/

Besides, I've been able to communicate easily...

It would definitely be nice to see the return of open chat to make it a little bit easier for the older audiences to convey a wider array of vocabulary without being held back by the chat filters. However, people will abuse the system/exploit it - so it's a definite no-go for me.

Since open chat is probably (definitely) going to be misused - the best workaround in my opinion would be:

Whenever you feel the need to use certain (appropriate) words, bypass the filter, take note of them and make sure you add them to the whitelist thread when you can. Hopefully, one day we'll all be able to converse freely without yelling arrr.

I'll simply say this

If they coded the game to not make the words they dont want ingame not able to be spoken to begin with, an automatic censor where it omits the word if you write it and then press enter, then all forms of chat violations would be solved on their own. This means that we could have open chat or speedchat plus where we can write anything again and not just the pre approved words. We would not need moderators other then if someone reported someone for saying something banned that they bypassed with symbols or another way of writing or something.

Doing a whitelist instead of a build in blacklist in the client itself which stops the problem before it happens is actually the backwards way of doing this type of thing and prevents the game from already having an open chat again.

Not going to remove the usage of whitelist / blacklist from chat filtering. That was tried on a *cough* different remake; with the open chat option being removed very quickly due to the level of in-game chat abuse that ensued.

We have a thread on these forums where you can submit requests for whitelist additions (and no, we do NOT take requests for the blacklist).

BTW even WITH all the filtering in place, players still take it upon themselves to evade the system at all costs. No idea why.

Its just not very fun is why we miss open chat. I can't see why it has to be so strict like this. Especially considering your audience.

You are assuming first off that the only people playing TLOPO are the ones who were 10-100 back during POTCO days. But, this is not the case. We've got members who have returned who are now in college. We've got members who have returned who now have kids with their own accounts. I myself have 2 sons who have accounts. The oldest is almost 14 and yes, understands and knows how to use all the foul words but he is mature enough to not do it. My youngest is 10 with a reading level of an 8th grader. He understands and knows these foul words as well... though the birds and the bees hasnt been thoroughly discussed with him yet. So, we STILL have people playing this game who do NOT need to see vulgar chat, and who STILL need to be protected from these things. THEREFORE there will ALWAYS be a list of words not allowed into the game. You guys can keep arguing your point until the cows come home, you're blue in the face, or hell freezes over, but there will always be a white list and a black list of words for TLOPO. Until you grow up and have your own kids, you will probably not understand. Best thing to do is to just accept it, get over it, and find something more relevant in life to protest.

I personally like how it is now. It can be annoying but the community feels better to me without open chat. No profanity and personal information given away. Just in game talk about...the game.

Kate Goldwalker your missing the point. People don't miss Open Chat because they want to cuss or be vulgar, people miss open chat because they can't talk about the things that they want to talk about that may not be vulgar but may also not be on the white list. People who don't know English very well making typos getting frustrated that they cant spell the world properly and communicate. Having to always request things for a set in stone list is tedious and it just quite frankly feels oppressive, but I already know no one will change their minds since suggestions around here won't be considered anyway.

I don't mind doing that and I guess its fine. Its just original POTCO had open chat, and were still able to keep their community in check so I fail to see why TLOPO can't.

Just saying. What do we lack that they didn't? Not enough moderators? A real answer would be good. Not just "we don't want to do it"

It seems lately if anyone has anything to say thats not in line with how things are going it gets shot down.

I don't mind doing that and I guess its fine. Its just original POTCO had open chat, and were still able to keep their community in check so I fail to see why TLOPO can't.
Keep in mind moderation team sizes. I'm sure POTCO had lots more people behind the scenes.

Well yeah but if we are just going to be told a flat out no never going to happen to open chat I'd at least appreciate in knowing why. The original game operated fine with Open Chat and still maintained its age appropriate rating.

If they don't want open chat because the moderation team isn't big enough yet or because of some other reason just say so.

Well yeah but if we are just going to be told a flat out no never going to happen to open chat I'd at least appreciate in knowing why. The original game operated fine with Open Chat and still maintained its age appropriate rating.

If they don't want open chat because the moderation team isn't big enough yet or because of some other reason just say so.
At this point there is no need for open chat with blacklist, sure, you can't communicate as easily and freely, but it's a game. If you really wanted to have 1 on 1 convos you can use PM's and forums.

Kate Goldwalker your missing the point. People don't miss Open Chat because they want to cuss or be vulgar, people miss open chat because they can't talk about the things that they want to talk about that may not be vulgar but may also not be on the white list. People who don't know English very well making typos getting frustrated that they cant spell the world properly and communicate. Having to always request things for a set in stone list is tedious and it just quite frankly feels oppressive, but I already know no one will change their minds since suggestions around here won't be considered anyway.
And this is why the whitelist thread exists

Back