Discussion CLUBPENGUIN SHUTTING DOWN!??!?!?!??!?!?!?

It's about time. Why they kept that open but closed Pirates and Toontown down is baffling to me. Both the other games had a ton more to off than CP. But CP wasnt always a disney asset was it? Didnt they buy it out like 5 years ago?

It's about time. Why they kept that open but closed Pirates and Toontown down is baffling to me. Both the other games had a ton more to off than CP. But CP wasnt always a disney asset was it? Didnt they buy it out like 5 years ago?
Disney bought CP for like a million, ka-jillion dollars a long time ago from a Canadian gaming company run (or at least co-owned) by Lane Merrifield. Due to the acquisition of CP by Disney, Mr. Merrifield ended up becoming a key individual for Disney games to where he ultimately was over all gaming pursuits.

Ironically, is was through Lane Merrifield that Disney virtual-world games (games such as POTCO, TTO, and Pixie Hollows) received the most support and encouragement. *Once Lane left Disney, his position was given to Chris Heatherly whom personal bias towards CP (and mobile games) made it almost impossible for Disney to take games like POTCO seriously.

I JUST WANT TO KICK SOMETHING :mad: now!

And so ends all four of Disney's PC MMO's. I've always had differing feelings about Club Penguin. In 2009, I was super into Toontown and saw Club Penguin as an enemy and thought it was boring. After that, I stopped caring until 2012 when I got into it for about a week before rediscovering POTCO. After that, I never really cared since, but I imagine a lot of people are sad about this. Probably double of PH, TT and POTCO's closings.

This thread is kind of misleading since club penguin will just be moving platforms I guess it just makes too much money for disney to just turn their backs on it

A little surprising, because I thought CP would never end, but I'm interested in what Disney has in store with news of a platform shift. Does this mean they're going 3D? Am I seeing a Penguin-themed Toontown-style MMO in the near future? Will I still be bitter about the game?

I won't miss club penguin all that much, half the fun stuff was stuff you had to constantly pay for and POTCO just seemed like a better investment of my time and money. The CP spy missions were fun though. And Ninjitsu battles. Those were cool too.

I don't hold any real animosity towards Club Penguin, I don't think anyone should. "Finally! They're dead!" is not exactly how I'd react to this because some will lose a game they enjoyed playing even if we just didn't like the game when we tried it before Pirates was shut down. Any animosity should really be directed towards the misguided, blind bigwigs in Disney's management of gaming. They chose lower risk for quick and consistent rewards. Their loss, I suppose.

Regardless, it isn't a shutdown. It is a reinvention of Club Penguin with a flashier name. It's sad to see the original go as I did play this game at an early age with my sibling and with my cousins and I did make many memories with family, not so much with friends on the other side of the screen.

Honestly, I played CP just for card jitsu even to this day, though i only played it when I was bored. Still, it was a childhood game, I'm as sad to see it go as I was with POTCO.

I'm just going to state what Sparky said, simply. Holding grudges is wrong. It will only effect you in the future.

Back