Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it cause a mass loss? You still have to trade something of value to get another legendary. The developers could even stop players from getting items for nothing in return so that way one friend won't just give another friend a legendary for free.
I see nothing wrong with giving things to friends. ledgendary or rusty cutlasses. That's up to the people.

Well considering that most people don't think it is a good idea or even want it in tlopo (specifically the ability to trade a legendary) if they add it I do believe it will cause a mass loss in the looter community of the game.. Which I as I mentioned in my last comment here im not to fond of losing friends over the adding of something like "trading" which there has been several threads about in the past. Which a mass majority of the people whom replied to said threads have said something along the lines of not wanting it.. Then again as Beggar stated in the other thread "The majority is often wrong. A game designed purely by popular vote on its most crucial design choices would suck."
Maybe they got a plan of action on this we don't know about. Which I surely hope they do.
Sorry boots, your numbers do not add up. There doesn't seem to be a mass majority who denounce trading. Quite the opposite as per the thread poll numbers themselves.
Why not come up with ideas for the devs that you would find palatable to accept the inevitable. Because that's what this thread is about, ideas, not your or anyones else personal opinions for or against trading. There are quite a few threads still active to write your point on.

Last edited:
My comments= xxxx
Trading will change TLOPO completely. It will change the entire looting aspect of the game and will forever leave a scar on the looting community. That said, if it does indeed become implemented, there are some very important things that need to be considered:
There's no if, trading is coming and the devs will implement it with or without our input. They already know the numbers are more positive than negative. Check all the trading polls if you don't believe me.

1. NO LEGENDARIES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE TRADED This is an old time looters perspective and not really viable in todays games and tlopo staff want to do things to keep the game alive and competitive. Trading and auctions are a few such things.

2. An economy will start to form. Correct. In game economy which could possibly extend to npc.

People will act outside of TLOPO and start to use things like PayPal to do their own transactions; selling items for monetary amounts - particularly rarer items - and this is bound to happen. Possibly. But extreme speculation of a questionable future event.

3. The “coin” emblem should be added to TRADED items as opposed to UNTRADED (or looted items) as to preserve the integrity of how the card has looked for looted items for the entire duration of the game. The coin idea is a good idea to pacify players who need this, but in actual trade is probably a non issue.

I think we can work together to make trading more positive than negative, but it will require heavy consultation from all corners of the game - all player types.

As someone who was a huge advocate for trading but always stayed neutral in all the trading discussions and I think we all had this coming.

First off, I want to reinstate the comments I've said about keeping the audacity of being a looter from previous trading discussion threads and not to make myself a hypocrite to what im about to say later on.

Now, they showcased another way to prove that someone has traded. However I like Mark's concept better

Moving on, looting is the end game after maxing your pirate. For some it might be before like me, lol. After coming back to the game since August and looting way more than usual since then; I would like to take back what I said in previous trading discussions.
I think legendaries shouldn't be traded even if its a legendary for legendary. As much as I wanna believe that screenshots and not having a coin mark like Mark's concept (pun intended) will keep the integrity, for others it just doesn't register which I completely understand. For more integrity and trading itself, I assume there will be a way to link your item in the chat. So there is that incase if legendaries are able to be traded. Idk like I said before, I won't knock anyone trading even if its getting a legendary.

TLDR: I still think screenshots and the without the coin mark like Mark's concept are still able to keep the integrity for legendary but everyone isn't on the same page so its best that they aren't tradeable. Lets start with babysteps.

With all be said here are my suggestions:

- Legendary shouldn't be allowed to be traded unless to pirates within the same account.
- Items should be eye for eye. Famed for Famed unless you are giving items to your other pirates.
- Level 35 required to trade
- to trade cursed weapons must have Raven Cove Quest done (as said earlier)
- Once an item is equipped it is account-bound (meaning you can only trade to the other pirates you have on your account) (I also don't want this to ruin the weapon cards, I guess having an NPC or a command to check)
- Any items that are bought from material in the grinding events or the material themselves (bones and moonstones) shouldn't be tradeable (some things should be exclusive and these are perfect)
- ?: Im not sure about ship material before I think I said yes but I don't even know
- Having a double confirmation from both parties before items are getting traded
Sorry Fred, your list just neuters trading almost totally. Is that your intent? People need to look at other games and the positive aspect gained by trading. No limits at the beginning of introduction. Let the market dictate value. Let the trading community in active trading discover what works and doesn't work. Breaking trading before it starts is not the way to go.

I absolutely can not wait to sell all of my unique legends in return for a PayPal transaction, I’ve got enough to where I can make a little bit of cash 🤩. I’ve got multiple db sack vests, db long coats, db coats for female pirates, and a large handful of db corsets, cha-Ching boys! I can not wait to put 5 alts on a ship and sail a mat run with my main, and cycle all those mats to my pirate needing them for ship upgrades. I can not wait to have a bunch of leveled up alts all sitting on ships collecting brights for my main pirates. Those who want to trade potions, why lol?

I absolutely can not wait to sell all of my unique legends in return for a PayPal transaction, I’ve got enough to where I can make a little bit of cash 🤩. I’ve got multiple db sack vests, db long coats, db coats for female pirates, and a large handful of db corsets, cha-Ching boys! I can not wait to put 5 alts on a ship and sail a mat run with my main, and cycle all those mats to my pirate needing them for ship upgrades. I can not wait to have a bunch of leveled up alts all sitting on ships collecting brights for my main pirates. Those who want to trade potions, why lol?
Nah bro, you're just being a paranoid alarmist for acknowledging the logical, predictable consequences of this game design choice, especially since those consequences have unfolded in every other online game with trading ever.

There are so many level 50's, possibly hundreds, that plans and spends their time looting for Legendaries. Its not selfish that we don't want other people getting legendaries without even trying, its just not fair. People will brag about having legendaries when they haven't even tried putting effort and making others upset, and yes, people like that actually exist. After you max out your level and complete all the missions, all you could do is either loot or participate in events, but everyone would rather loot because looting is actually fun. If you don't spend hours, days, even weeks searching for legendaries, you should not get one easily from trading. I said in my post yesterday that Legendaries and Famed should not be traded. However, if you want to trade it with your alts then I guess that's fine since the same person went through that process. But if Legendaries legit become tradeable, I'm either going to be on the game less or just quit, because like I said, its not fair.
Fortunately, tlopo does not force any prerequisites on players in which way they play the game like dictating you need to grind for 20 hours before you can earn a fame or whatever. The RND is already punishment enough and fair enough for every level of player.
Yes it is selfish to expect other people to kneel to your accomplishments and rules of grinding.
And for the umpteenth time, you DON'T trade with your own accounts or multi accounts, you just TRANSFER items. From one account to another. A jillion mmo's do this with a kind of mail client. You are not going to barter with your own alt. If transferring is implemented, and I think it's a viable idea, it would just be shuffling items and gold to your accounts.
Perhaps you have ideas on how to set up account transfers? That is another subject, but slightly related to trade only in the movement of items and gold. You can't really trade with yourself. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be possible to create 2 different types of pirates and 2 different servers?
Like save the current game and dont add trading and then make a new server that people start from lv 1 in where trading will be enabled.
That's a heck of a lot of work to dump on the dev's. We really don't need any extra servers or anything. If trading started tomorrow, people will use it or they won't. What you trade on ocean abassa has no impact what I want to trade for or buy.
The negativity pushed against trading is based on personal issues. Personal issues normally don't dictate game function. Sometimes squeaky wheels do gain some traction, but at the cost of the greater good of the community.
Lets allow open trading for anything buyer beware and see where it goes.

Nah bro, you're just being a paranoid alarmist for acknowledging the logical, predictable consequences of this game design choice, especially since those consequences have unfolded in every other online game with trading ever.

Oh yeah sorry lol. I’m sure using in real life money for these in game trades will be against the rules, nobody breaks rules.

Also, ships should definitely be a major aspect of trading.
I can get any ship a player wants in 3 to 5 days, at level 6, fully maxed, etc.
I'll be taking orders once trading is implemented, no worries.
No way man, I know you'll sell ships with cardboard cutout cannons. We can't kick the planks when buying that way.

And yet, every other online game with trading is still out there, flourishing. Imagine that.

please add this, the legendary grind is why is left the game, grinding for days just to get a silverfreeze, and then a 2nd silverfreeze makes me wanna take a long walk off a short pier, this is good for the game sorry elitists you aint the majority

Oh yeah sorry lol. I’m sure using in real life money for these in game trades will be against the rules, nobody breaks rules.
I don't see it. Why in the world would I pay real money for an item I can get trading with game valuables, and for a weapon I don't have decent room to store nor can I upgrade any weapons in tlopo. One of the main aspects driving outside money is upgrades and items to upgrade another item. None of those exist on tlopo at this time.
Again, the thread is about ideas for the coming trading features and idea input. Not about why trading won't work. Let's keep it on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back