Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can debate if trading should be implemented or not but it will be happening. We are mainly looking for feedback on how trading should take shape, not whether it should be in the game or not.

These are some of the ideas the team has discussed in the past:
1. Eye for an eye- you can only trade a legendary in exchange for another legendary item.
2. Legendaries won't be tradeable.
3. To trade for a cursed item, you must have completed the Raven's Cove Story Quest.
4. Quest items are off limits.
5. You can disable trading on your account page to avoid getting spammed with requests.

Let us know what you think of these and please send any suggestions you have!

Remember, trading will be heavily tested on a public testing server (that many players will have access to) prior to being implemented on the public server.

How about just like... don’t? Your game’s most avid players have been begging you to not make this mistake for years.

Personally, I’m really not interested in playing a version of this game with trading in it. I’m sure plenty of others will enjoy the economic element of the feature, but for me, the point of looting is that you can’t haggle your way to the top and your success is solely the product of your own hard work.

Needless to say, i’m very disappointed and unexcited for this game’s future.

You can debate if trading should be implemented or not but it will be happening. We are mainly looking for feedback on how trading should take shape, not whether it should be in the game or not.

1. Eye for an eye- you can only trade a legendary in exchange for another legendary item.
3. To trade for a cursed item, you must have completed the Raven's Cove Story Quest.
5. You can disable trading on your account page to avoid getting spammed with requests.

Remember, trading will be heavily tested on a public testing server (that many players will have access to) prior to being implemented on the public server.
Well, no matter what you do, this decision will be very damaging to many players’ interest in the game. The announcement certainly makes me and most of my friends/guildmates way less excited to log on.

With that said, #2 is essential if you don’t want most of the game’s looting community to quit on day one. A disaster is still better than a catastrophe.

I do heartily agree with points 4., and 5.
On point 3., I definitely feel that Raven's Cove Story Quest needs to remain a requirement for wielding a cursed blade. However, if a player wants to take up an inventory slot with a weapon that they cannot yet use, I don't foresee that doing much long-term harm aside from taking up server space.

This is in my mind is just a major misstep. The one thing that binds me to TLOPO is setting a goal which not many can accomplish and seeing it to the end with no frills and being among the few to do so. It's why I made that rare items thread. Putting in trading just removes the passion that came with looting. Why bother playing if anyone can do what you did with a few clicks on Tortuga?

How about just like... don’t? Your game’s most avid players have been begging you to not make this mistake for years.

Personally, I’m really not interested in playing a version of this game with trading in it. I’m sure plenty of others will enjoy the economic element of the feature, but for me, the point of looting is that you can’t haggle your way to the top and your success is solely the product of your own hard work.

Needless to say, i’m very disappointed and unexcited for this game’s future.
Well said Beggar.

I’d really prefer that this game didn’t become like runescape, where your inventory better reflects your parents’ credit limit than how dedicated you are to the game

BB5CC8A9-1F2E-4E2F-BBCC-BBAA28DE8B14.jpeg

I’d really prefer that this game didn’t become like runescape, where your inventory better reflects your parents’ credit limit than how dedicated you are to the game

View attachment 116105
I don't see why it has to be, there are definitely ways out there to make the time and effort individuals have spent looting valuable. Banning legendary trading is the simplest one.

This is a copy paste of my whole issues with ttrading written down. I am going to work now, so won't be able to reply till 12 hrs. Will respond to anyone's replies them.

Why Trading Should Never Be Implemented in The Legend of Pirates Online

1. Longevity – The game is centralized around YOUR INVENTORY. Debate this FACT if you want, but more than 50% of the community plays this game for the looting aspect it specializes in. When you have trading, you are making the game EASIER to finish. (Aka: Making the game end more quickly) When you have everything you want in your inventory, and so does everyone else. You lose passion for the game since you are looting for nothing, and everyone has what you have faster.

2. Exploiting – In no system arguable, can you make a trading system in a FREE MMO without taking advantage. (This is just one of many…)
Example:Muilt-Boxing You make multiple pirates and give all the good loot they get to your main with muilt-boxing. If you have 1 pirate loot you get 4 loot drops per kill, which turns into 8 if you have two pirates…. 12 if you have 3 pirates, and you can multiply your loot drop rate the more alts you made for looting OR sailing.

3. Bad Deals – Taking advantage of other players who don’t know the value of others. “Full Moon Special Repeater is better than Skullbone Repeater because of its higher attack! We should trade!”

4. Guild Agreements – You have a whole guild give all weapons to singular player and they become the ‘best’ pirate in the game in no time. Killing the ‘race to find all legendary’ indefinitely to “Who’s the most popular”.

5. Promoting Buying & Selling – This is probably the most DANGEROUS part of trading. If trading and buying is within the game, players will start wanting to buy inventories, weapons, and clothing even from other players. I cannot name the amount of times I’ve heard “If trading was out I’d give you my Thunderspine Sword for… $$$” or “If Trading was a thing I’d give you my Bright Corset for…. $$$

6. Community Drama & Disrupting Staff – With trading out, players who get bad deals, disconnect between a trading process, or find a way to abuse new hacking system would STRESS OUT, OVER CLOCK, and flat out BOMBARD staff with emails, complaints, and flat out distress. Staff need time to focus on the game, not the players trading choices.

7. Destroying experience for low level players! – This one is a brutal truth… The Pirates of the Caribbean Online/The Legend of Pirates Online is an EASY GAME. Now imagine, you’re a level 1 and you just start out the game? Now imagine you have a friend that just gives you all his spare ‘rare’ high level weapons? You’d be leveling faster, questing quicker, and practically FLYING through the game invisibly with weapons you did not even work for. SPOILER ALERT !!!: The reason you have to be a certain level before you can get famed weapons in the looting system created by Disney? Is because the game would be BORING with them early on!

8. The game is centered around looting – You are a pirate, not a navy dog, or a big company. The idea of POTCO/TLOPO is that you plunder and pillage enemies, forts, and fleets to ransack the Navy and other “formattable enemies” to uncover your treasures. If trading is a thing you can achieve the same inventory as a player who’s looted night and day for MONTHS, in a couple of short deals. What kind of pirate would you say that is without getting your hands dirty?

9. The End of Passionate Looters – I know always one person in the comments always seem to point out… “Not everyone has as much time to loot on the game as (Charles Warmonk)” My response to them is, yes. I take this game very passionately and seriously when it comes to the looting aspect of this game, and I cannot argue that. I’ve made guides, videos, lessons, recorded loot drops and made theories for YEARS now. (Geez I need a life huh…?) So no, not everyone can loot as much as me. Is that a bad thing? Do I sound selfish in my pervious points now? I admit I sometimes show a bit of an ego, but the fact remains that I truly want this game to last a long time.

1. Longevity – This is less of a trading issue and more of a flaw of the game. However, it's not going to suddenly be shortened - trading won't suddenly make it incredibly easy to get anything you want. You still have to give something equal or even more valuable in return.

2. Exploiting – Yes, this applies to every single system. Does that mean they shouldn't add any new systems to the game in fear of exploitation? This is always a given and will just have to be dealt with. Multi-boxing has a simple solution in order to prevent - kick off players if they log multiple times via IP and/or MAC address.

3. Bad Deals – This is valid, but it will be an opportunity for the player to learn or for the community to help out new players (e.g. "Hey, this is what you want to look for in weapons and this is what you should be wary of if you trade...")

4. Guild Agreements – Again, less of a trading issue, more of a flaw you'll see in EVERY game. People will have to be willing to do this in the first place and really, it's already something that's possible. For example, people could go into a game, dump all their gold, and let this certain player win. There's also another dozen cases that could probably fall into this category depending on your opinion. It would be rare to happen and if it does, it likely won't be that huge of a deal.

5. Promoting Buying & Selling – I don't see the point here, if trading is added it won't make any difference on if people decide to go through the faulty method of trading real life money for a virtual item. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it already happens (account buying). This is already discouraged and hardly a valid point.

6. Community Drama & Disrupting Staff – The staff most likely already recognize this. I'm sure they'll come up with a set of policies on how to deal with these sorts of issues, so I doubt it's that big of a problem. It's their choice.

7. Destroying experience for low level players! – Okay... there's already level restrictions and you could implement even more restrictions for trading if it's an issue. Making suggestions on how to balance trading is the point of this thread. People aren't going to be tossing about items like candy, and if they do, they'll be items that are replaced later on.

8. The game is centered around looting – Yes, it is centered around looting and will both encourage and be encouraged by trading. Again, legendaries and important endgame items aren't going to be tossed around like candy. People have common sense and will only trade for an equal or higher price. The grind won't be gone - they'll have to grind something else in order to trade for that certain item. I expect for certain very powerful items, it'll be an EXTREMELY high price to pay if anyone is even willing to do so.

9. The End of Passionate Looters – There's always going to be people who heavily focus on looting in the game. Trading isn't going to just magically make items more common. They have to get those items from somewhere. In fact, I would think this would encourage looters as they can trade for other things they want (e.g. mats and such).

If you have an issue with trading, stop arguing against it because it WILL happen as already stated. Instead, give constructive criticism and suggestions to balance trading. Plenty of other games do just fine after adding trading despite having focused on loot in a similar way.

Ahoy my fellow players!

This is indeed my first post on the forums. But, I have been a long time player on both POTCO and TLOPO. I wanted to just step in and remind those players that are running around with a worried thought about the game failing because of a future trading update and that guilds will die, that there are numerous extremely successful games that already have such an option available; Path of Exile, EVE Online, World of Warcraft, RIFT, FFXIV, FFXI, Runescape, Dragon Nest, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Maplestory 1&2 and the list goes on. This is an enhancement to the game in my eyes. It is going to be a player OPTION, not a forced task. It's an opportunity to barter, a chance to be an entrepreneur.

We are all here to enjoy! Thank you for your time.

What I don't get are the people saying to either make legendaries not tradable, or weapons as a whole. Weapons not being traded is like 90% of the reason why people want trading implemented. Saying to not make them tradable would defeat a lot of the practical purpose for this feature. Everything should be tradable. The community will come up with pricing accordingly. Just like in any other MMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back