Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had an alternative idea that may help with or supplement some desires of trading.

Some items have this already now, though mostly quest related items.
Some variable that marks an item from the loot table as found for each pirate upon it being added to one's inventory.
Once the variable found has been marked true for that particular pirate, they can remove the item from their inventory.
They can then repurchase the item from appropriate vendors in the world for a sizable price (not the resale price on the item card)
This will allow people to complete collections such as sets of bright clothing and weapons, without struggling every time they find something new and want to keep but do not have the inventory space currently.

Such is a common battle when i loot as i find something i like, but have to toss something else i like to keep it. With the above, i would not have to worry about tossing clothing/weapons as if desired i can re-obtain them and have a purpose for gold other than just upgrading my ship.

It seems to me like many prominent and active members of the looting community are very nervous with what trading the items they worked so hard to loot will entail. As if their time spent attempting to loot these incredibly rare items will be wasted. While I may not be in their camp I can certainly understand the point.

It sounds to me like right off the bat, The ability to trade legendary items should not be included in the trading system.
That Legendaries should remain Legendary and only obtainable on your own.

>Im a sailor, not a serious looter. I spent a week looting Remy for mercers once and was beyond ecstatic when i finally got it... Would someone whos a serious looter please respond to how they feel about a trading system that removed Red/ Legendary items from the equation all together.

Would you be willing to work with it?

heres a notion: I have 16 Lost World Charts on one of my pirates and many many friends I play svs with who are lacking this item. I kept them specifically for a day in which I could share in the wealth.

Bright Clothes especially would be an amazing trading item, as instead of trashing that duplicate dark black coat, you could trade it for one of a different color

Ship Materials should be tradable as well imo, and Gold so that poker transfers can finally be obsolete

Last edited:
>Im a sailor, not a serious looter. I spent a week looting Remy for mercers once and was beyond ecstatic when i finally got it... Would someone whos a serious looter please respond to how they feel about a trading system that removed Red/ Legendary items from the equation all together.
I would honestly be fine with legends being excluded from trading, honestly. That would be the biggest detriment of putting it in as most legends are what people devote themselves to finding as a TLOPO accomplishment. With the advent of bosses, most famed aren't deemed too special these days, same with brights. However, maybe there are some who wouldn't even want this, I don't know.

Ideally trading should include smart systems which many MMORPG utilize which are:
Soulbound - items which you can't trade for example would be Quest Items, Certain weapons, clothes, etc.
Bind on Pickup - Items in which right as soon as you obtain you can't trade.
Bind on Use - Items that if you equip or utilize them they'll become untradable.

There should be a good amount of thought put into what items are tradable and which items are not. This should include all item rarities just because an item is crude it doesn't mean it should be tradable. As more content is released there will be more items in general released which could incluide both tradable and non tradable, a healthy balance of both.

I would honestly be fine with legends being excluded from trading, honestly. That would be the biggest detriment of putting it in as most legends are what people devote themselves to finding as a TLOPO accomplishment. With the advent of bosses, most famed aren't deemed too special these days, same with brights. However, maybe there are some who wouldn't even want this, I don't know.

Im glad you responded!
To me it appears like this.
Its the act of looting the Legendary that makes it special, not the fact of owning it.
Having a trading system in that excluded Legendaries would perhaps only make them rarer and more sought out after. An Item you can ONLY get on your own, that you can only own by looting yourself.

Implementing trading and keeping legendaries out would honestly make the looting scene stronger imo.

Reading this thread and seeing that trading will inevitably be added honestly makes me very sad. One of the bigger appeals of this game to me has always been making your pirate(s) the very best they can be by working on them yourself and seeing that progress which was made by yourself. The addition of trading would completely ruin this for myself and plenty of other dedicated players I know that have worked extremely hard on their inventories of weapons, clothing, and other collectible items. I've seen it stated a few times here that trading WILL be added eventually, so the least I can ask is that legendary weapons are barred from trading whatsoever to hopefully retain that feeling of accomplishment and pride that comes from obtaining them by your own hard work. If legendaries do become tradable (which I have a sort of sinking feeling that they might) , I feel that this would turn off a large number of the dedicated, passionate looters who play this game almost solely for the fact that it is only them who can find these weapons for themselves, not that they can loot a Lost Sword Of El Patron and go trade it with someone who has say, an extra Thunderspine Sword or so on. I hope and pray that it won't turn out this way, but we can only see when the time comes.

Um so how many threads have been posted about this on Forums? I honestly don't remember ever seeing a group saying they were for it maybe like 5 - 20 people?? Yet the mast majority really doesn't want nor like the idea of it being added. Yet it still is being added? I entirely disagree with it being added for legendries or even famed for that matter!

If someone doesn't have an issue with trading, then they don't exactly have much to say on the matter, do they? Of course the most replies you'll see are people who have an issue with it. I expect it would be a different story if they make polls eventually to decide what restrictions they'll add to trading.

If someone doesn't have an issue with trading, then they don't exactly have much to say on the matter, do they? Of course the most replies you'll see are people who have an issue with it. I expect it would be a different story if they make polls eventually to decide what restrictions they'll add to trading.
True.. I Honestly think they should do a poll on the matter of people wanting it or not.. Have the options be: In Favor, Unsure, Not in Favor. Or something similar to this..

• Quest and code items should not be tradeable for obvious reasons.
  • Materials should certainly be tradeable as it would be a big benefit of the trading system.
  • Raven's Cove completion should be required for Cursed weapons.
  • A warning should be given when trading famed or legendary (although I'm not sure why there wouldn't already be a warning in general).
  • Level requirements are already attached to the items themselves, so I'm not sure what there is to consider with trading. They can't use them until they reach that level.
  • Biggest debate is on legendaries. I believe they could be tradeable as the players with them would likely set a VERY high price before even considering selling them at all. However, I'm completely fine with it being either way. Really, the major point of trading is all of the other uses for it. If there is just a restriction on how you can trade it, I think it could be that you have to trade a legendary(ies) in return, but I'm not entirely sure how that should work.

Um so how many threads have been posted about this on Forums? I honestly don't remember ever seeing a group saying they were for it maybe like 5 - 20 people?? Yet the mast majority really doesn't want nor like the idea of it being added. Yet it still is being added? I entirely disagree with it being added for legendries or even famed for that matter!

Seems like there have been quite a few posts about this? https://piratesforums.co/threads/trading-poll.705/ From 2010 https://piratesforums.co/threads/trading-yes-or-no.25610/ From 2018 and three pages now on just trading. Oh and this - https://piratesforums.co/threads/tr...-ideas-how-you-would-implement-trading.25484/

Happy reading!

Im glad you responded!
To me it appears like this.
Its the act of looting the Legendary that makes it special, not the fact of owning it.
Having a trading system in that excluded Legendaries would perhaps only make them rarer and more sought out after. An Item you can ONLY get on your own, that you can only own by looting yourself.

Implementing trading and keeping legendaries out would honestly make the looting scene stronger imo.
However, as a counter to my own thoughts on legend-exclusionary trading, legendaries in my end are sort of the "chapter-finishing" end goal. For instance, I once set a goal to get a legendary cutlass from a boss which ended when I found Yore. However, the thing which mainly keeps you in the game are obtaining smaller sort of "sidequest" items like famed and brights you're after. My constant Darkhart and Twins grinding would be a lot more boring if there was nothing to benefit from aside from the grand prize. What I'm saying is, putting in trading could put a tamper on this and make the legendary grind much less appealing.

What about the hackers that will come along and hack accounts to then trade items to their own pirates? There are hackers who do this in any game with a trading system. How would you prevent this from happening?

PLEASE don't let legendaries be obtainable through trading.
There's no excuse for not having 2 factor authentication enabled
However, as a counter to my own thoughts on legend-exclusionary trading, legendaries in my end are sort of the "chapter-finishing" end goal. For instance, I once set a goal to get a legendary cutlass from a boss which ended when I found Yore. However, the thing which mainly keeps you in the game are obtaining smaller sort of "sidequest" items like famed and brights you're after. My constant Darkhart and Twins grinding would be a lot more boring if there was nothing to benefit from aside from the grand prize. What I'm saying is, putting in trading could put a tamper on this and make the legendary grind much less appealing.
Perhaps an item limit? As an example, I almost have everything I want but there are a few pesky items that I've been trying to get for months with no luck. Capping your traded item ownership to, say, 7-10 would enable you to get those few items you're missing while still requiring work to fill out an inventory.

Could there be a PokeDex like feature added along with trading? I know this probably sounds stupid, but a feature that popup like the collectibles tab that simply lists every available item and gives you an update of "found" once discovered. Make one of the abandoned huts in Tortuga or something a Professor Oak type character that tracks a leaderboard of progress in the found index PokeDex sort of deal. I'm not sure how the game is coded at all, but I think it shouldn't be that difficult to implement given we have collectables that are already tracked. This would keep the spirit of loot it yourself, but given others the chance to try out other rare items they haven't experienced yet ie. you have gotten Jack Sparrow's Blade but after 6 months would like to try out the Becketts your friend got and you are both kinda bored with what you were lucky enough to have found. Trading wouldn't impact to index of collectable found items, but you could still use them normally. I'm not exactly for trading legendaries, but I remember before I had one I would have loved the chance to play with Lost Sword of El Patron when others were disappointed to get duplicates of it -- so I bet there is a market for trading. To meet the needs of those who want trading, but appease those of us that want to keep the game collectable, the solution I think is a PokeDex type thing with a public leaderboard. It would be even more exciting if when someone got a new legend they hadn't discovered if the Professor Oak-inspired character made an automated server wide announcement congratulating them in chat similar to the red admin messages as well congratulating them on their discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back