Content Spotlight Discussion: Trading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I suppose we will all just answer and drop our feedback in the drop-box and wait for TLOPO to do what they planned to do regardless, :sigh1:

1. Unable to trade Brights, Famed Cursed, Legendary, or Legendary Cursed.
2. No.
A: Raven's cove N/A​
B: 2 step warning system. First message should be sent to both players when the player pressed "Accept trade". Additionally, a 10s should start once both parties have confirmed the trade, while the 10s is active, either player can negate [Stop] the trade.​
C: Trading should be locked till a quest is granted to a pirate at level 50. [Quest should consist of sinking EITC ships]​

Trading is coming yay.
Trade everything and every item interchangeably, with no restrictions at all.
At least 3 submit verifications for both parties to finalize trades. Two is sufficient, but what the heck.
Use player cards/item cards for visuals and ease of trade.
Put some sort of token of authenticity on the cards for people who need this.
Allow multiple trade items per card per session.
Allow chat with trade hyper link to pirates names for ease of transaction.
Allow global chat trade without having to stand next to the person. But trade could be contained in the same ocean initiating player is in, or not.
Clicking on name in chat would bring up trade window if notified person okays it. This could also be a form of whisper chat perhaps.
Allow trade globally anywhere at any time.
Allow cancellation at any time by either player completely clearing all input to the point of cancellation. Either player can kill the trade action.
Obviously, allow chat ignore, or keep what is in game now.
Allow counter bids and offers. (I ask 10K gold for Levi, other pirate can submit a counter offer within trade session) Similar to as seen on TV as auctions.
Allow WTS and WTB in chat. If spammed, simply ignore the pirate. It's not a big deal at all, just a minor annoyance quickly sent away.
If trading is initiated by both parties, chat freezes and no more responses are taken, perhaps a stock line like "trade in progress" or something to let people know that item is pending.

Trade EX: SQUINTZ: WTS Levi 10K gold or trade for items.
CRASHALOT: Trade offer 1 ship coppe....
SQUINTZ: No.

Allow inter account transfer of all items to their own alts/pirates. <-- not trading, but an idea that many would likely like to see.

I've got other ideas, but those were the most straight forward at this time.

Thanks for opening the thread back up, not that I ever doubted admin would...cough cough.

I understand, but on that note I would like to see @The Crew be a little more opened to debating IF new game changing content SHOULD be added before it is FORCED onto the community in the future.... Especially since it's been a controversial topic of a topic for I don't know how many years... However, I am assuming you already put so much work into it you feel it NEEDS to be added now so I digress.

Onto the thread's topic then, since we no longer a choice on this update...

We still need a groundwork for this thread, so my proposal is the same but with different format in place.

Propose YOUR restrictions on trading. [If any] Then list 3 Pros & Cons of this system. [You will ALWAYS start with Cons.]

After, someone will reply with their questions for YOUR system, the follow up their questions with their OWN system & Pros/Cons. Creating a [Hopefully] peaceful flowing discussion. I shall start,

Charles Warmonk's Trading system:
Restrictions: Can ONLY trade between your own pirate account. [Aka your 8 pirates on one account]

Cons:
1. Trading for single pirate accounts will be nearly unaffected.
2. Trading between your own pirates will result in a faster completion of the game, resulting in quitting sooner.
3. Trading between your own pirates will render all alts currently pointless due to the ability to trade all good weapons to main/most used pirate.

Pros:
1. All efforts of looting will be rewarded to the individual and not strictly the pirate.
2. Name changes/pirate re-creation is now possible since all inventory can be transferred over.
3. Limited items redeemed on main can now be saved/stored on alts like storage space, rather than having to give them up for inventory/bright space.

[Since I am once again starting this format, I not unable to respond/discuss my reasoning after my points till someone else does the same by ask a questions after they follow the format above.]

:cheers: Feel free to ask me any questions AND create your own trading system.
So, people would now stand around talking to their own alts and asking themselves what to trade for?
I'm sorry Charles, I just can't see transferring your own items to another one of your own pirates is some sort of trade. I strongly don't think that is trading at all. Maybe I'm being dense again.

Last edited:
Is that a recored, going off topic one post after the OP asked everyone not to go off topic?
3798a2ee142613722361309315566e86.png
2.png

As of reading the last couple posts here.

How I think it should be added is maybe another NPC? Might put said NPC ear the Quest Reward ones that have recently been added to the game?

In my opinion about "What" I think that Legendaries SHOULDNT be tradeable. Anything else im fine with it being traded.
My reasoning why is because if we trade everything then what is the purpose of looting? When you can just go find a friend and ask for a trade? Looting would lose its purpose if legends were tradeable.
With that being said I also believe that cursed weapons should be traded as in Cursed for Cursed.
Reasoning simply because I know myself personally wouldn't like trading a cursed for any other weapon. Maybe im being a little selfish 🤷‍♂️

Clothing on the other hand Im perfectly fine with that being a thing. I do have a question on this though. So say a Male and Female want to trade a piece of clothing? I know some things are similar and some are completely different. For the similar items (specifically hats) would it be able to be traded?

Well that's all ive come up with up to this point maybe someones ideas will sparck something in my mind. With that saidgood luck to you all and thank your all for what you do!

I think a major pro of the idea of trading is a chance to get a legendary, where the reality is there isn't a market selling that legendary and if there is it's a friend gifting it to you. You are not ever going to be able to fair market a legend. I think trading legendary weapons should therefore be excluded. No trading legendary. The reason is whoever wants to try a legend out will not have a fair market to play from. Player A has a friend with two Patrons and will get one. Player B through Z do not know a friend that has an extra Patron and will feel left out. With the exclusion of legends from trading the dev team can still implement a permanent "Moonstones/Bones" program based on Grog or something that a player collects from in loot where a player can build up to a for-sale legend similar to Silver Striker that is not available in loot. Red Letters and all. I think that would be the best appeasement to the player base that wants to have a legendary weapon. Not RNG based, but still earned. You could give a legend out for completing the Black Pearl Quest as another idea.

Regardless of legendaries though, I think trading in and of itself should only unlock at level 20. That's when a player has access to the intro-bright colors and starts to get famed weapons. Having trading earlier than that strips the enjoyment of legitimately quality rare weapons like Witch Hunters class. I feel like a similar trading void would be worth while post-RC so that players can enjoy the small window when a rare cursed weapon is a great weapon for your level. I feel like unlocking trading at various levels 5 or so levels passed when you can yourself obtain the item is a good solution.

For example at level 20 you can get certain brights, at 25 you would be able to trade for the ones you want to finish the outfit, but that gives you 5 levels to try and find it first.

Or Level 30 you unlock RC, there is a period where Barnacle Breaker should be a great weapon for you, but at level 35 you likely have found a small handful of cursed famed, so trading for those isn't a major impact at that point.

The basis of the issue is for the most part is that it will almost never be trading, it will be gifting. Because of that legends should be excluded, and a period of time should be reasonable past when one could obtain the item before being gifted it. Poker transfers that happen in the current evolution of the game are an obvious example of how trading will be made into gifting if possible. Gold holds value, but only in very limited circumstances (essentially when buying and upgrading your ship before you've discovered some really fast gold locations, so players who no longer value gold will transfer up to 300,000 to a friend in need with nothing in return. A weapon like Tyrant Blade is an A+ weapon, but once you have one your second copy is just eating inventory space and you would be most likely willing to give it to a friend as a gift.

I love the idea of disabling trading for one's self to stop trade requests, but would also think this could be decent for pop requests too. Anyway, I personally believe that when trading does come, it will have to be an eye for an eye when trading unique legendaries, like many have said before.

Many consider collecting all the legendary items to be the endgame. It has inadvertently become a competition between the top looters to get to the 22 mark first. Many discord servers, as well as here in the forums, use screenshots of the legendary loot drop as a way to tally one's legendary count. But if someone is trading for their legendaries, obviously they won't have a screenshot of them obtaining it through loot, thus not affecting this "competition".

There was also mention of marking the weapon cards with something to signify that the item was traded for, which could also help those who are critical of another pirate's legendary acquisition.

I love the eye for an eye idea considering how much those competitive looters care about the competition. Sure it takes away from the work that is put into looting a particular boss but all in all, the effort is still there considering drop rate is the same across the board for legendaries. So if Im trading an Onyx dupe for Becketts pistol, I still put in the effort to get a legendary, just not the one that I end the day with.

and one last thing. If we are going to all ship materials to be tradable, bones and moonstones should be tradable as well.

What is the point of trading bones or moonstones instead of just trading for the item those purchase?
I feel like trading for stones is the easiest way to break into the legend barrier if one is established. For example one does not have any legends, during the Winter Event they get gifted 3600 moonstones and buy 3 Silver Strikers which two are then traded for El Patron and Silver Freeze? Isn't that immediately breaking the barrier you established at the start of the post for eye for an eye? Potentially bones could purchase a legendary as well, which that then would just be limiting design space trying not to break trading.

What is the point of trading bones or moonstones instead of just trading for the item those purchase?
I feel like trading for stones is the easiest way to break into the legend barrier if one is established. For example one does not have any legends, during the Winter Event they get gifted 3600 moonstones and buy 3 Silver Strikers which two are then traded for El Patron and Silver Freeze? Isn't that immediately breaking the barrier you established at the start of the post for eye for an eye? Potentially bones could purchase a legendary as well, which that then would just be limiting design space trying not to break trading.

Simple. As I suggested before, exclude certain common legendaries, or in this case, event legendaries, from legendary trading (if that's even necessary when those stones also have to come from somewhere!).

honestly, there are far more items that would be sought after before the more common legendaries (oxymoron), so I don't think they'd be worth including in the first place in the trade pool. Lost sword and silver freeze bring frustration more than excitement when looted. I do agree that there'd be consequences tied with Silver striker if moonstones could be traded for. But honestly, I didn't understand a legendary being able to be purchased, so hopefully this winter, silver striker is in loot only, maybe from a boss like the hollowed woods legendaries are.

Some ideas I have read / heard / had, and very much agree with include:

1. Unlocking trading for certain items at certain levels. For example no trading at all until lvl 20 notoriety, cursed items at lvl 30 notoriety, legendary items at lvl 40 notoriety, and cursed legendary at lvl 50 notoriety.

2. No trading of an item that your pirate could not obtain itself. Meaning if your dagger is not lvl 25 or higher, no Silver Freeze for you.

3. Lateral trading only. Legendary for Legendary. Legendary Cursed for Legendary Cursed.

4. A fee for any trade. 50k gold for clothing or mats. 100k gold for famed weapons. 200k gold for legendary weapons. 300k gold for legendary cursed weapons.

5. Collectible categories for looted famed and legendary weapons would really help a lot of looters sort of "check" some items off their list and possibly make some trades.

6. Increased inventory may seem off topic but I think it would really help looters if they wanted to take advantage of trading, being capped at two pages is hardly enough to keep what I myself want, it's like being capped at low gold in a way..

7. Coin mark on traded items not items that haven't been traded, as this throws all screenshots and prior looted weapons for a loop.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with trading. BUT, if it had to be done this is what I'd ask for. I feel that these things better maintain value for what is looted, and it still makes you work for what you're getting.

I'm not sure If anyone has suggested this already or not but I'm gonna put it out there anyway.. I see a lot of worrying about people not looting anymore so here's an idea that might keep people looting and that.
What about adding an achievement system? There could be achievements for taking the time to loot the weapons yourself along with trading them Example -
Legendary Hunter = Loot each legendary weapon
Legendary Trader = Trade each legendary weapon to another player.
There could be other achievements as well for other things the game has to offer. Also each achievement could have rewards like Titles, Badges, Ship Materials etc.
Also if someone goes to trade something with another player there should be a gold cost along with the items.

From the content spotlight: "Currently trading starts through the player card, where one player can request to trade with another."

I'm not convinced that this is the best approach. I can see this system of trading becoming bothersome to folks on popular servers because the main access to player cards other than friends and guildmates is local proximity. So, unless there is some sort of designated auction house or otherwise location that is a recognizable hub for trading, I fear that players may be bombarded with trade requests and local chat/whispers about trading that they may not wish for while playing. Perhaps trade requests and trade chat can be disabled as a simple solution, but I think it would be more enjoyable to have a trading hub.

I think that trading would be more enjoyable with multiple available slots for trading, say 4, rather than 1. That way there is more available creativity with bargaining than there could be with a 1 for 1 trade. However, there would need to be a check put in place to make sure that after a trade the player will have available room in their inventory for the items. The issue that I see in this way of trading, though, is that it creates a limiting factor based on how much room a player has in their inventory to accept new items with. Therefore, perhaps a 'simpler' way of trading would be to add a new currency that we can use to trade an item with/for in addition to item trading. This of course would require more challenging additions to the game, such as a way to acquire currency through perhaps selling items at a vendor for a fixed low amount.

Considering that the very large majority of items are lootables, you are walking a fine line with those saying “dont add trading”. This post is much like those that were the reason this thread was closed before
Are you saying that the thread was closed because there were posts against trading?

Are you saying that the thread was closed because there were posts against trading?
Not necessarily. The devs asked for opinions on how the trading should work. But were bombarded with opinions on trading, and not trading functionality, which led to arguments. If people who weren't in favor of trading avoided voicing their opinion here in the first place, and instead followed the direction of this thread, those arguments wouldn't have happened in the first place. If you don't want trading, create a new thread, don't protest in a functionality suggestion thread.

Not necessarily. The devs asked for opinions on how the trading should work. But were bombarded with opinions on trading, and not trading functionality, which led to arguments. If people who weren't in favor of trading avoided voicing their opinion here in the first place, and instead followed the direction of this thread, those arguments wouldn't have happened in the first place. If you don't want trading, create a new thread, don't protest in a functionality suggestion thread.
The thread op and its associated content thread make no assertions that replies should only be about trading functionality.

I have a suggestion for trading.
How about we limit the amount of items traded per day?
He's an example:
1-2: legendary/cursed max
2-4: famed/cursed
4-8: rare/cursed
8-16: Common
16-32: crude
And maybe on crew days/events/Holiday events you could double the amount of trading items traded per day.

The thread op and its associated content thread make no assertions that replies should only be about trading functionality.
Actually...
We request everyone to stay on topic and civil. If this doesn't happen, the thread will be closed permanently.
The topic is the content spotlight, which is asking for suggestions before implementation, not opinions on the matter. And that's why I said that your opinion is teetering on the side of not implementing trading at all because the majority of in-game items are lootable, which is the category you suggest making non-tradable.

thanks for getting the both of us to go off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back