Idea Craftables: New cannons/broadsides and ammo along with figureheads

Kerry O'Malley

Buccaneer
As part of the ship upgrades tree, adding new cannons. broadsides and ammo would also be a cool thing.

Having, for example, a dragon-themed cannon and/or broadside type that shoots explosive and storm chaser rounds would be great.
New "dragon's breath" rounds could also be developed as an "upgrade" to the explosive rounds.

Speaking of broadsides, player ships' broadsides should be able to be upgraded to use ammo other than the standard iron cannonballs.

Figureheads for "theme ships" would also be a great suggestion. (Ex: Dragon themed ships get a dragon figurehead)

Last edited:
I’m all for figureheads as a cosmetic upgrade, like sail colors and emblems. Not so interested in any upgrade to explosives, lol, and don’t get what you mean about different broadside ammo, the current upgrades would seem to have that covered. I’m also of the opinion that an additional deck cannon would fit on all upgradable ships and be an excellent upgrade option, not interested in broadside changes.

Broadsides on NPC ships can fire other types of ammo such as the explosive ones and even the storm chasers.

The ones on player ships can't, Eric. At least, not that I've seen.

As for deck cannons and figureheads this would be more or less a cosmetic change, so that when you look at them up close they appear more or less like a dragon's head.

Historically, some cannons (especially those from Eastern ships, like Chinese military junks and Japanese ships of the same nature) had cannons that looked like dragons' heads.

As for explosives upgrades, as befitting the "dragon theme" it would be a straight damage upgrade from the existing explosives.

As for the figureheads I was thinking of having them as an additional weapon. For dragons, maybe this could be a fixed forward-firing cannon that only uses the new "dragon breath" ammunition.

Which brings me to another point about cosmetic sets. IMO, having a full set of the cosmetic details could provide a bonus to all such ships that use said cosmetics.

In other games, set bonuses are a big thing. Having more than one piece of the set provides bonuses like increased damage or increased armor, and new abilities.

These bonuses could also be unlocked through quests granted after you get a piece of the set.

As an example, take my dragon idea above.

The set (named something creative like "Dragon Skull and Crossed Wing Bones") would be as follows:

Sail Emblem
Dragon Scale Hull
Dragons' Head Cannons
Dragon Figurehead

Set Bonuses:
2pc: Increased Hull HP and Armor
3pc: Increased Damage to NPC ships
4pc: "Fire up the Dragon!" (Captain order, causes the figurehead + broadsides fire one round of Dragon's Breath ammo)

When unlocked, and the appropriate level is reached, the player gets the quest in their log (and hears a roar in audio that only they can hear, every time they get on the ship that has a part of the set) summoning them to Padres del Fuego where a statue of a dragon gives the player another quest for the next part of the set.

Having the figurehead along with the other three set pieces unlocks a final quest from the questgiver called "Feel the Power of a Dragon!" that upgrades the "Fire up the Dragon" order to "Feel the Power of a Dragon!" which allows the figurehead to fire three to five units of Dragon's Breath ammo at a ship in front of it. The number of shots fired by the broadsides remains the same.

Until the full set is unlocked and the final quest completed, having any one part of the set doesn't provide any significant boost to any aspect. But once the set is unlocked the "magic" of the figurehead is awakened (the figurehead's eyes open visually) through a quest given by the questgiver statue on the island and it can now breathe a stream of fire (AKA three to five units of the dragon's breath ammo) at the captain's command.

Of course this is only an example, but it shows the way this could work if implemented.

It would of course be end-game content for high-level captains. While some can get parts of the set early (like the sail emblem) some of them would require materials runs and things that you pretty much can only do at high levels.

Last edited:
I love the idea of figureheads. POTCO once upon a time did have figureheads. It would be nice to have those back, and to customize them much like we can our ships would be even better. Size, body type, type of wood, painted or not painted, nautical themed or otherwise...

I love the idea of figureheads. POTCO once upon a time did have figureheads. It would be nice to have those back, and to customize them much like we can our ships would be even better. Size, body type, type of wood, painted or not painted, nautical themed or otherwise...

I'd like to see more functionality added to figureheads. I mean, having them look good is fine but having them serve a purpose, like as part of the set I've proposed, is a good way to add endgame content that is sorely lacking in this game.

I’d personally like to see the idea of adding in a Chinese era of content. Their ships and cannons would be so cool, since they invented gunpowder. We could have a special ammo type for the Chinese cannon.

I’d personally like to see the idea of adding in a Chinese era of content. Their ships and cannons would be so cool, since they invented gunpowder. We could have a special ammo type for the Chinese cannon.

Those are the main ships that had the dragon cannons IRL!

I would love to see those appear as a type of cannon for all ships, not just Chinese military/pirate junks.

Last edited:
From a comment I made a while back:
There's some cannons in the files that were supposed to be used for customization:
latest

Heavy Cannon
Higher Damage; short range.

latest

Great Cannon
Less damage; long range

latest

Bronze Cannon
Better range and damage than the basic cannon; but much more expensive.

latest

Skull Cannon
I'm not sure what this one would be, but it sure is spooky!

You should be able to upgrade individual pairs of deck cannons on your ship in the ship customization menu, depending on your play style. For example, if you often find yourself close to powerful enemies, you would outfit your ship with Heavy Cannons, and if you wanted to keep yourself a good distance from pursuing ships (like bounty hunters), you would buy long range Great Cannons.

A Chinese junk would be a great addition to the ship lineup as well. A rocket would make a relevant cannon projectile, as well as being in line with naval artillery. Maybe you could even color the explosions like fireworks!

Back