Crashes Caused by Memory Leak - Workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheysa Finn

Pirate Lord
Ahoy there!

About 50% to 75% of my crashes are due to a memory leak. Explained simply, a memory leak is when the game loads much more information that it needs to have (for example, having both Tortuga and Port Royal loaded when you are currently on Tortuga). If you were to check the TLOPO log after having a memory crash, it would say "ran out of memory".

This workaround tells your computer that you want it to give TLOPO the highest priority for RAM usage. It won't completely stop the crashes, but it will make them less frequent.

A friend told me about this solution and I figured we could all use it:

For Windows 7, 8, and 10, open Task Manager and go to the "Details" tab. Find "tlopo.exe" in the list, and right click. Roll over "Set Priority" and change it to Realtime or High.

TM Priority.jpg

For Mac, go to your Activity Monitor. Find "tlopo.exe" in the list, and set priority to Real Time or High.

Mac2.jpg

You will have to set the priority every time you log in. The program is temporary, so the setting is as well.

Hope this helps reduce some of those pesky crashes :)

- Chey

Last edited:
Ahoy there!

About 50% to 70% of my crashes are due to a memory leak. Explained simply, a memory leak is when the game loads much more information that it needs to have (for example, having both Tortuga and Port Royal loaded when you are currently on Tortuga). If you were to check the TLOPO log after having a memory crash, it would say "ran out of memory".

For Windows 7, 8, and 10, open Task Manager and go to the "Details" tab. Find "tlopo.exe" in the list, and right click. Roll over "Set Priority" and change it to Realtime or High.

View attachment 67743

For Mac, go to your Activity Monitor. Find "tlopo.exe" in the list, and set priority to Real Time or High.

View attachment 67744

You will have to set the priority every time you log in. The program is temporary, so the setting is as well.

- Chey
Thanks for telling me about this :D

Ahoy there!

About 50% to 75% of my crashes are due to a memory leak. Explained simply, a memory leak is when the game loads much more information that it needs to have (for example, having both Tortuga and Port Royal loaded when you are currently on Tortuga). If you were to check the TLOPO log after having a memory crash, it would say "ran out of memory".

This workaround tells your computer that you want it to give TLOPO the highest priority for RAM usage. It won't completely stop the crashes, but it will make them less frequent.

View attachment 67743

View attachment 67744

- Chey
Thanks for that Cheysa! I think it actually made a difference on my PC, only have 4 gb so it seems to have stopped crashing so much ;)<3
(I bought 8 gb a couple of months ago DDR3 everything I thought I needed, right frequency, the board can handle it and it doesn't work! Arrr!)
:pirate ship:

i have to go to bed now. please write a list of steps that can be helpful for me to get this problem off the game. id appreciate it. thanks, good night.
I hope you sleep well, Casey :)

For Windows 8 follow these steps:

1. Launch TLOPO.
  2. Open up Task Manager.
  3. Click on the "Details" tab.
  4. This list is in alphabetical order, so scroll down until you are near the bottom. As long as you have TLOPO already running, you should see "tlopo.exe" listed there.
  5. Right-click on "tlopo.exe", and then place your cursor above "Set priority".
  6. Choose either "Realtime" or "High" from the list that pops up. Personally, I choose "Realtime".
Hope that helps!

Ahoy there!

View attachment 67743

View attachment 67744

- Chey
Interesting and thank you. This wasn't something I would have thought of, but it seems to work.

waNmWhx.png

This my specs and I still get crash. Processor priority dedicates more cpu thread to whichever program have the higher priority. Also my available memory on my PC which isn't being used by other processes or the operating system is a total of 11gb which is larger then this entire game files are rendered ingame.

A memory leak is where the game have a error in the coding and loads something infinitely or in a looped amount of times to where the size will infinitely increase. If you received less crashes due to changing the priority of the process then the error being caused might have something to do with how textures of the game or vertexes or world cells are loaded through the processor into the ram vs when the priority is changed, could be a clue as to how to fix it or just could be totally unrelated.

Also when your game crashes and you are watching the terminal in the background running that runs with TLOPO you can see it saying stuff like animation missing and etc so if you study that as it crashes you can probably see which action you did caused you to crash also.

waNmWhx.png

This my specs and I still get crash. Processor priority dedicates more cpu thread to whichever program have the higher priority. Also my available memory on my PC which isn't being used by other processes or the operating system is a total of 11gb which is larger then this entire game files are rendered ingame.

A memory leak is where the game have a error in the coding and loads something infinitely or in a looped amount of times to where the size will infinitely increase. If you received less crashes due to changing the priority of the process then the error being caused might have something to do with how textures of the game or vertexes or world cells are loaded through the processor into the ram vs when the priority is changed, could be a clue as to how to fix it or just could be totally unrelated.

Also when your game crashes and you are watching the terminal in the background running that runs with TLOPO you can see it saying stuff like animation missing and etc so if you study that as it crashes you can probably see which action you did caused you to crash also.

That's absolutely true, no worries, in fact, I'm optimistic that they will fix this issue. A lot of people are getting the same crash at "Aren't you a sight..." when clicking "Create A Pirate," which stands to date. My logs are kinda everywhere now ^_^, strength of winds to success!

Well you know, I'm just being optimistic, I'm glad someone was more technical about it below.

Attachments

• tlopo-161209_165228.log
    2.5 KB · Views: 156
  • game_options.txt
    909 bytes · Views: 159
  • last_working_options.txt
    901 bytes · Views: 188
  • Specs.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Absolutely untrue.

"A memory leak is where the game have a error in the coding and loads something infinitely or in a looped amount of times to where the size will infinitely increase."
This isn't the definition of a "memory leak", and the examples given are not accurate. Memory leaks can happen for various reasons : dereferencing a NULL pointer (an initialized pointer that doesn't point to anything), losing the virtual address, never freeing allocated memory(which is what the examples you gave are, they load infinitely, therefore the process never reaches the point where it gets them freed).

Now, changing the priority is NOT supposed to work. Telling the operating system "please, change this process' time slice" does not work. Setting a higher priority MAY only increase performance, as the process (game) will have more reserved CPU time for it's threads, however, in some instances it could decrease the overall performance, as both the process and thread scheduling algorithms will jump from processes/threads less frequently, because of the game reserving much more CPU time, but this shouldn't be noticeable if your PC's are good enough.

Now, let's explain "real-time". Real-time scheduling algorithms are ones, that give the virtual execution units exact, fixed CPU time, no more, no less and system interrupts cannot preempt the threads in order to run other elements (other threads) from the ready queue. It's Microsoft, so I assume they implemented soft real-time scheduling, where a little more or less milliseconds is tolerant. If anything, this will only cause the game to crash more often (if it goes beyond or below it's given fixed time slice) and almost 100% certainly should slow it's performance.

Experiencing less crashes after changing the priority is just a coincidence, telling the CPU to give more or less time for execution to something will not fix memory issues. This isn't magic, this isn't how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back