Question Crashing problem?

AngelHeartshot

Swashbuckler
Does anyone else that plays TLoPO deal with constant crashing? Is it because of the engine or is there something else behind it? I play it on Windows 10 and I've heard people that play on the same hardware usually have had the same issue also.

I mentioned this in another post yesterday, forgot which thread. I have a MacMini with OS 10.13 and i7 processor. Granted, my fiber connection has obvious variability so I can't attribute *all* the crashes to TLOPO servers. But here are some common causes:
1. Joining a group of 4 or more ships that are circling around with several hunters in a kind of maelstrom = fun but serious risk of crash
2. Turning to fight a hunter just before anchoring at port when "stuffed to the gills"
3. Playing on Abassa makes the above much more likely, even with <100 ppl on that server/ocean
4. Playing on a server with <5 ppl but after midnight Pacific time = tons of lag and some crashes. That's maintenance time at TLOPO?

You might want to install a RAM cleaner and use it whenever your free memory drops below 1 GB. I use Memory Clean 3 for Mac. For PC, you could try: https://memory-cleaner.en.lo4d.com/windows
Alright, I figured maybe because of how many people play the game at once it was probably just pushing the engine into making the game lag and crash easily. Thanks for the suggestion though, and the list of causes for the crashing as well.

Glad to be of help. I forgot to mention that lags often disappear when you sail away from the group that I described in #1.

But there does seem to be some serious "game engine" hang when there's a big group like that. So serious that my RAM cleaning app works at about 1/5 the speed as usual, so the lag can really make me "stuck in the mud" so to speak.

I surmise that the game software actually senses when resources are being consumed heavily in one part of the ocean. This led to an offbeat suggestion I made that the TLOPO developers might be able to cordon off/quarantine the group so that new ships don't join.

Only when sailing on someone else's public ship strangely. Always crash juts before port and get steamed that I wasted half an hour of life.

Back