Create-An-Island Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hidden Docks of the Legendary Pirates
  2. Not quite a complete new island. Just a hidden part of one of the old islands, only accessible to Masters (Level 50 pirates). A true paradise with one single entrance that is invisible to all the others. Maybe, to be a Level 50 may not be enough to be able to see the secret passage to the Hidden Docks! You shall be recognized as an example to be followed by the newbies. There, you could find a cave on the beach with an eternal fire in the middle where Master Pirates use to join talking about relevant matters for the community: Kind of a Council of Venerable Pirates
  3. An image? Well… something that looks like a paradise. Credits of the photo: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com
25148110-8e0a-4a69-94ab-9b9908dd5595_fire-on-beach-at-sunset.gif

I tried to add this picture I photo shopped for my entry. I hope it's not too late. It's from Biblical Archaeology: Golgotha (Skull Hill) http://satellitearchaeology.us/?p=148
I used the original image to make it into an island...
Isla de los Craneos If someone can move this island to my original entry it is okay with me. If not no problem.

golgotha-skull-hill2ab2.jpg

Last edited:
rules say that the word count is for the backstory
Technically it lists "backstory/questline" as 1 single item in the list as opposed to 2 separate items, and it currently says "400 limit on stories". ;)

But regardless of what technicalities there are, I think entrants should be mindful that every entry will need to be read and judged by human eyes, and it would be unfair for the judges to have to read a lot of posts that are longer than what they requested. I mean think about it, why would they set a word limit on only part of an entry and then let the other portion be as long as the entrant desired? It would defeat the purpose. Just be nice to the judges and try to condense your thoughts a bit if you're pushing the limit, and the word limit won't be a problem :)

1. Dreadcliff Rock
2. Backstory: Sailors who pass through the Caribbean can all see this innocuous island, yet none can offer any insight as to what the island actually holds. Dreadcliff Rock only has a small beach for rowboats to make landfall-the sheer cliffs and harsh torrents tear ships from all other angles. A long-abandoned settlement lies on the beaches, overrun by vicious crabs and undead. The island's true secrets are within; a sprawling system of caves stretches under the jagged faces of rock, winding around and leading to the outside of the cliffs and offering more openings back in. Explorers who can brave the maze-like caverns, treacherous chasms, and eerie, silent silver mines often find themselves back where they began, inexplicably facing the lone beach...no matter how sure they were of their path. The select few who get through find themselves at the peak of Dreadcliff Rock: high above the seas, tucked behind the dense brush lies an old fortification, dilapidated and long since forgotten. In its disrepair, it's hard to tell whether this was a broken Navy fort or a temple built by natives years ago. What's certain, though, is that an ethereal mist hangs over the crumbled walls, darkening even the searing sun overhead. And, to make matters worse, ghostly figures and shadows make themselves known, forever wandering the ruins under the veil of darkness. Even a pirate is sane enough to steer clear of this wretched place...

Quest: If these old tales of Dreadcliff Rock are true, it might be worth a look. Surely there must be some plunder or information in the caves or alleged fort worth a pretty gold coin to some pirate out there. Navigate the caverns-maybe there are clues etched on the walls or cliffside that'll keep you from ending back up at the start. Beat any creatures or undead in your path, and, if you do find your way to the top, there has to be some clues left that explain what the story is behind this island. And should you find a horde of gold, weapons, or unimaginable treasures somewhere there...well, we'll just have to make a new tale for the seas, won't we?

3. Photo source: Cayo Island from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, taken from the Assassin's Creed Wiki.
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:AC4_Cayo_Island.png
AC4_Cayo_Island.png

Attachments

• AC4_Cayo_Island.png
    AC4_Cayo_Island.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 631
Isla De Desperación

Rumors begin to spread around Port Royal about a mysterious island, said to have come out of nowhere. These rumors also state that the island is presumed uninhabited, however, it contains great treasures. Going off to find the island is easy, but actually finding it? That's where the challenge lies. Supposedly, the island only appears if one has a special talent, and is considered "ultimate" when referring to that talent (Ultimate Beast Slayer - More than 1000 beast kills, Ultimate Sailor - Sailed to all islands, etc.). Occasionally, that rule does get circumvented, allowing one person without any defined talents access to the island only every so often. If a crew of two or more people sail there, then they immediately lose their ship upon getting off of the ship, and are left stranded. Afterwards, the island slowly and mysteriously drives the crew-members to despair, causing them to turn against each other and eventually kill each other (PVP mode without looking like skeletons). This continues until only one person is left. The ship is then found, and the one person is let off the island.

Despite popular belief, the island is actually not one mass of land. Instead, it's six tiny land masses connected via bridges.

latest

Here's my idea:
Shipwreck Cove
Backstory: This island, surrounded by a mystical fog, was discovered by pirates long ago.... Pirates looking for crews, the bravest of them all, trying to find other brave mates to work together to take down the mighty fleet of the cursed fleet commander, Captain Cuttler. He and his crew became cursed after they mutinied the Crimson Prison, their captains' ship, and the rest of his fleet, containing 11 other vessels. They assembled a very large crew, and a captain of every ship. The captain who was mutinied upon was named Captain Steelshot. They left him to die on Island of Sirens. The old captain went crazy from the sirens calls and eventually was able to defeat the sirens. He wandered the island, starving, searching for food. He came across an ancient inscription on a rock inside a cave. After days of thinking, he was able to make it out. It was an ancient curse that made pirates into the undead, and the only way to break the curse was to kill Captain Cuttler 3 times, and then he and his crew would become human again. Captain Steelshot then cursed his once loyal crew...

Questline: This would be the beginning of a new story quest. It would start off by discovering the island.which appears on the map at level 40. The objective would be to go after the ships of the fleet, one by one, sink them, grapple them, and board them. Once on board, you have to defeat the crew of 20+ members and the Captain of the ship, who is a difficult boss. Once you defeat the first ship, you return to Shipwreck Cove, where you find a man who gives you coordinates to the Island of Sirens. You then sail there and find Captain Steelshot. He tells you about the curse and how to stop it and defeat the undead army of Captain Cuttler. He tells you certain secrets about each captain of each ship, including their weak spots and how to take them down. One by one you sink the ships and defeat the captains, and return to Captain Cuttler. Eventually, all that is left is the Crimson Prison, Captain Cuttler's prized ship. Once you defeat him and the ship, you return to Captain Steelshot, and he rewards you with his precious gun, Captain Steelshot's Repeater.

Here is the island: (I changed it because i see that someone already had used my previous island)
tree_island_reservoir_fog_mysterious_53392_3840x2160.jpg

https://wallpaperscraft.com/download/tree_island_reservoir_fog_mysterious_53392/3840x2160

Last edited:
Island:
Isla de la Oscuridad (Island of Darkness)

Story:
Legends say of a place that has risen from the darkest depths of the unknown: a place where specters and demons reside. The island is cloaked in a mist that barely allows you to see the treacherous shores. This place, where mystery, adventure, and danger all come together, have brought many brave men and women to its shores. But the island seems to toy with their sanity and moral. Anyone who has set foot on the island has come back a shell of their former selves because of sights no mortal man is supposed to see on this Earth... or if they are lucky enough, not at all... Word from the unfortunate people that have survived is that there is a extravagant treasure and a legendary sword waiting that has never been claimed somewhere deep within the cave system. The cave system is a maze of winding corridors large and small. Some are hidden, some are more dangerous. Survivors also say to be careful and watch your step for you don't know what is hiding in the mist... The island is seemingly infested with spirits and physical beings that seem just to appear out of thin air. The treasure though, seem to contrast with the very fabric that the island was made from, so pure and healing. Many expeditions have set out to try to claim these mighty treasures, but all have fell to mutiny and disaster. Are you and your crew willing to brave the dangers for the treasure many can only dream about? Maybe its time for you to test your steel...

Quest:
A pirate can start the quest in a tavern on Tortuga. You meet a former sailor from the latest doomed expedition, one of only three still alive. He has completely lost his mind from his experiences, but is able to convey the story of the island and of the failed expedition. He then tells of the treasure said to exist and if you wish to participate in another expedition, you must talk to his friend (another survivor) on Port Royal. This person tells you where to head and what the entrance to the cave system looks like. He also says that he thinks one person was left behind and asks you to check on him. Once you arrive on the island (far out from other islands) you meet the last survivor who was stranded on a tiny sandbar before the mainland. He tells you the dangers of whats to come and wants to be saved from the accursed island.

Picture:
http://lechaudrondevulcain.com/blog...-fournaise-tungurahua-turrialba-white-island/
Volcano-White-Island.jpg

Last edited:
Davy Jone's Locker

It is Davy Jones's favoured punishment for those who attempt to cheat him.
For most, the only way to reach the Locker is to die at sea.
Bla bla bla..
I mean on this, there could be a mission that sparrow dies and the pirate/s must go to the locker and get him back, like potc 3, are you understand me?well if not then its my bad english. I not got a pitcure, but no need, it will be a desert, in the no were when the night comes, and the moon light show the way..If those i say is not count or are not enough then cancel them and keep my reserve idea, The Atlantean, yes, or the bermoude triamble, or the poseidon triden that will be on potc 5.
Three word, one meaning,
"Up is Down".
By Paul.

Attachments

• 350px-Athanasius_Kircher's_Atlantis.gif
    350px-Athanasius_Kircher's_Atlantis.gif
    47.2 KB · Views: 370
Island:
Hangman's Isle

Story:

This island is rarely heard on the tongue of a pirate, for it is said that whole crews will walk in, but only bones will come out. Pirates have long feared this island because of its ruthless and unmerciful treatment of pirates, along with the rate at which they killed them. After being abandoned for more than 50 years, pirates are finally gathering enough courage to step on this unholy soil, and explore the deepest reaches of the fort, in search of lost treasure taken from the fallen pirates. It is also said that at night, you can see a white glow around the former gallows, with apparitions stalking the courtyard, halls, and battlements. The EITC had up and left the fort for an unknown reason, but rumor has it that they were seeing apparitions of all those who were killed. As they left the fort, they left everything behind: all the papers, confiscated weapons, and gold. Those very ghosts that drove the EITC off of the island are still out for vengeance, attacking anyone who sets foot on the island at night.

Quest:
To start the quest, you meet a former soldier at a tavern in Port Royal. He tells you the story of the island and the inhumane torture that took place. He also speaks of the vault hidden under the fort, but the key was lost years ago. He says though, he may know somebody who knows where it is. You must preform tasks for this soldier. Once you complete the tasks, he relays where the stairway to the vault is hidden and says that one of his friends had the key the night they left. You must travel to Kingshead and speak to the other soldier who had the key. He needs some work done, but once the quests are complete he tells you where to look for the key. You head to the island to find the key, but the key is guarded by a boss that is an apparition of a pirate captain. once you have defeated this boss and have the key, you head into the vault to fight one more boss, the ghost of the forts commander, to get to the treasure.

Picture:
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-ph...dakar-senegal-colonial-building-image48807822
castle-fortification-goree-island-senegal-23546381.jpg

Island: Goldstone’s Isle (also known as Fool’s Gold)

Backstory: Goldstone was a petty merchant who discovered a tiny island by chance after escaping from the Royal Navy (his crime was aiding pirates). Goldstone believed that the uninhabited island was full of gold, so he claimed it as his own. Others came to see if the island was indeed made of gold, but it turned out that the mountains, beaches, and caves were full of pyrite. Thus, the island came to be known by everyone as “Fool’s Gold” (some even call it “Fool’s Isle,” referring to Goldstone, but the whereabouts of Goldstone remain unknown).

Quest: Although Fool’s Gold is now worthless in everyone’s eyes, the island actually has a secret trove of precious gemstones buried deep within its caves. The caves are dangerous and may collapse at any time, but a savvy and fearless pirate can visit the island’s caves and take a handful of the gemstones if they so choose.

Note: This is a daily (side) quest that requires higher level pirates to navigate the long tunnels until they reach the center of the island, where they can take a certain amount of gemstones (which can be exchanged for gold), but will require a cutlass when dealing with the native creatures (giant bats, rodents, crabs, and a possible boss scorpion) that roam the cavern floors. This quest is timed, so pirates must be quick on their feet as they enter and exit with their precious stones. If time runs out, one will wake up groggy in a confining cell on Port Royal, and will have to wait the next day to do this quest.

desecheo1.jpg

(Image from http://t-rexsoftware.com/desecheo/about.htm)

Thanks for this contest!

Long ago lived the notorious pirate, Captain William Darkheart. His ship the “Devils Revenge” and crew were the most feared on the entire sea. They plundered and pillaged many ships not caring who they belonged to or who the captains and crew were. The rulers of all countries put a bounty on their heads and sent their best crews to track them down and kill them. An armada of ships found the Devils Revenge and gave chase. William sailed his ship straight into a massive storm. The storm turned out to be more than ordinary. Conjured in evil and sent to kill William by a witch that he had cheated out of something valuable. The Devils Revenge was pushed off course and shipwrecked on an abandoned island. An island only rumored to exist, its name only whispered, Witches Crown. The crew mysteriously disappeared one at a time and William is said to have gone mad searching for them while trying to fix his ship, but failed on both task. It is told that there William hid his massive amount of treasure and something even more valuable than the Fountain of Youth, all hidden somewhere on the island. Many great pirates have gone to this island in search of the valuable wealth and the glory that comes with it and all were never seen again except one. He went a very talented man and came back insane and mad. Crazy Axton has only spoken once of the powerful monsters he met on his journey, creatures that can only be found in the darkest nightmares of the most insane. If you managed to get past them to the resting place of the treasure it is said that the spirits of William and his crew protect it until they can be released from their curse. If you can find Axton it is said that if you bring him whatever he ask he will give you something that will guide you to the island. But are the fame and riches worth the chance?
upload_2016-11-5_14-50-49.png
I got this picture from the following website:
http://glamgrid.com/litla-dimun-the...-atlantic-ocean-covered-by-lenticular-cloud-3

Island.jpg
Isla de la muerte
"One thousand years ago there lived a great civilization on an island, for reasons we do not know they suddenly vanished"
As Captain Andrews and his crew neared an uncharted island they felt a sudden chill, even though it was midday in the middle of the carribean. The men were very unsettled, the first mate William told the captain," this be a bad omen sir, we should turn around and never look back" The captain ignored his warning and said," what are, cowards to believe in false superstition? Onward!" he ordered. As the neared the island, the crew realized it was a truly barren rock, its stony shores were almost pitch black, and there was little to no vegetation. A strange power hung in the air that felt almost suffocating. Now truly terrified many of the men lost heart and fled their ship in dinghy's, some made it home, but others fell victim to the seas. The few remaining souls with their captain went ashore, they went inland and found a spring, and within it lay all sorts of precious metals and gems. One sailor picked up a gorgeous diamond, but something was off, as soon as he touched it his body withered away, the other crew members were, terrified were about to leave, but they saw some sort of otherworldly being with a blue aura about it, and thats, the last that they were ever heard from.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LREOl

hey bro u got a good story here and honeslty I think you could win, but your at 487 words, the word limit is 400

I tried to keep the story itself at 400! I hope that counts!
-Although, as a pirate, I always liked to push the guidelines... ;)-
Thank you for the compliment, mate! I used reference to some old sailor legends to try and make it more fitting!

I styled the story off of "The Twilight Zone", an old TV show which often had some sort of moral lesson in each episode. Sorry for the long entry, but I did manage to keep it under 400 words. The picture is a bit large, though. Enjoy!

Isla del Poder

My island appears to be a typical small island, with the usual enemies, and no NPCs in sight, but the interesting part begins once you leave the island. When you attempt to return to your ship, you will be confronted by an old man, named Crepúsculo, who will give you a special weapon of your choice (you cannot choose a type of weapon that you have not unlocked).

This weapon’s base damage is double that of the weapon in your inventory with the highest damage, and has a minimum of 25 damage. Additionally, half of the damage that this weapon deals is added to its overall damage. After you choose which weapon you want, you are able to leave the island. Although the weapon costs you no gold, you will soon learn that everything comes with a price.

At this point, you would probably go about using this weapon again and again, increasing its strength each battle. Once your weapon’s damage has become at least four times as powerful as it was before, it will begin to hurt you. Each attack, you are damaged for 25% of the damage that attack dealt. When you are knocked out by this effect, you cannot be revived. You are immediately taken back to the island, and the weapon is missing from your inventory, and you are given a new quest.

This new quest leads you to an abandoned building, and you enter its cellar. In that room, you see a loot bag lying on the ground. As you open it, the weapon that the old man gave to you comes out of the bag. The weapon begins to float in the air, as if it’s being held by someone who cannot be seen. It begins to attack you, and the door is now locked. You know there is only one way this can end: one of you must be defeat the other. At this point, the weapon becomes a boss of equal level to the player. Half way through the fight, black smoke comes out of the weapon, and a copy of the player’s character appears, holding the weapon.

After you defeat the weapon, Crepúsculo appears. He thanks you for destroying the cursed weapon, and rewards you with the quest-exclusive recipe for a potion that doubles your damage for 15 seconds.

Island_Pokonji_Dol.jpg
I found this on Google, and thought is was perfect for my little island. It even has a building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back