Critiscm on Legendaries

"It's confirmation bias and it's dangerous to the community. " Would you mind explaining that comment, I do not understand the context here.
Thanks.

By assuming that everyone who loots at long periods of time at a boss or a group of enemies is toxic is alienating a good (probably almost half if not more ) chunk of the community. Some of the nicest pirates I have met do nothing but loot but when you relegate them to the same level of the trolls who try to make the game miserable for others that's when you run the risk of causing even bigger rifts between the community than what already exist. That can lead to all sorts of bad stuff that can get out of hand very quickly.

This is not an open finished game. We're beta testers. We should not be rewarded for testing their game by altering game odds in favor of, ah, favors.

Actually we are incredibly close to being a finished game from what I understand I cant remember all 3 but I believe currently the major points are Match Making, Padress Del Fuego invasions, and one other thing are all thats left on the list for the next stage of the game to begin.

ill see if I can find the post on the forums but that is why we are getting a private test server.

Everything needs to be tested always, including looting. You never know what can be broken from the simplest update. (Remember when the storm sphere had an incredibly high drop rate?)

It is also thanks to a lot of these looters that some of the crazy weapon bugs and balance issues with items are being found.

I log on and run around and do stuff and then spend my last hour at a boss often, just like many people do for whatever their time limits allow.
But basically stating that looting is more important than all other aspects of the tlopo is disingenuous to a good part of the tlopo gaming community.

That is a perfectly acceptable way to play the game if that's how you want to spend your time, no one is inhibiting you from doing that.

Not a single person in this whole thread, maybe even this whole forum has said that or insinuated such as far as I am aware.
From what I've read on the forums, looting wasn't even a thing in potco, it's basically a tlopo creation or evolution so what exactly are people beta testing at 10 plus hours at a time?

Here is a 211 page thread all about all about items looted in POTCO. It was a bigger thing in POTCO than it is now. People are just better at it because we have more knowledge and there is much less misinformation. (Thanks for all of your info about it @The Crew )

This is also partially because these forums were only around rough 3-4 years before the game ended. There was alot less time for prominent members to rise up when these forums were as small as they were back then.

Actually we are incredibly close to being a finished game from what I understand I cant remember all 3 but I believe currently the major points are Match Making, Padress Del Fuego invasions, and one other thing are all thats left on the list for the next stage of the game to begin.

ill see if I can find the post on the forums but that is why we are getting a private test server.
The pypperoni update. Also the game is still missing the QAR which when they add that and Padres invasions I believe the game will have all the features POTCO did when it closed.

And please, sitting at a boss for 15 hours straight and then boasting and or complaining about a legendary is NOT beta testing by any stretch of the logic.

Actually, we do really appreciate all the feedback looters give us, and do consider this a form of testing.

For what it's worth, the proposed system in the thread mainly helps people who don't have 5+ hours a day to dedicate to looting. Disclaimer: This isn't me saying if I agree with it or not, just helping to clarify.

Is it so much of a sin that someone prefers using their computer to something like working on a car or playing football or basketball?

Players are the lifeblood of any game whether it's a free project or bot. Rewarding a player who actually plays a good amount of your game is just good form.
Looting is just as valid of a way to play as questing. The reason a good many players don't bother with questing is because it's just not rewarding enough. You can level up faster just by killing enemies and outside of the totem quests and weapon quests there are very few quests with decent rewards.

A great many of us are much more active than you would expect. There are entire guilds of people who get together specifically to spend a few hours looting. Greed & Glory is a tremendous example of the community that can be attracted to doing so.

Just because they are sitting in front of a computer clicking a boss DOESNT mean that they aren't getting social interaction or that they aren't actively involved with the game

Just because you have had some negative experiences with players being mean doesn't at all mean that were all like that. Just last night I was looting the twins on abassa with 30+ players and not a single one complained about grenades or staffs.

It's confirmation bias and it's dangerous to the community.
"Just because you have had some negative experiences with players being mean doesn't at all mean that were all like that. Just last night I was looting the twins on abassa with 30+ players and not a single one complained about grenades or staffs."
I didn't say anything about me, that was a loner pirate wanting to level his/her staff. I had nothing to do with it.

"By assuming that everyone who loots at long periods of time at a boss or a group of enemies is toxic is alienating a good (probably almost half if not more ) chunk of the community."
Again, you are inserting things into my comments that are not there to make some sort of point. I described conduct and repetitive acts as mindless, I did not make a judgement of their character. I made no accusations of toxicity. You insinuating such a thing is a affront to my person. I don't appreciate it.

"Looting is just as valid of a way to play as questing."
Never said looting wasn't valid form of game play. I said 30 hours is unhealthy.
And a guild getting together on a boss is also a good thing. No probs with that either.
But once you're on the boss, it's robot time.

I believe the staff did the right thing with skull drop rates and not adjust the odds or innards themselves. The staff are the best judges of all these things. The OP feels loot legendary should be loosened up, I agree and disagree. I think they (staff) did it proper with skull frequency rates. I'll just leave it at that.

Also, I may be weird, but anyone spending 30 hours or more on a video game in a week needs to get a life, not a legendary reward. Sorry.

You didnt call them unhealthy. You insulted them.

I'm not going to support and reward such mob conduct.

I actively chat with and interact with most of my looting groups even if I am doing something else at the time. Its hardly robotic. The nature of the game lends itself to being semi-robotic. We dont exactly have the most intense combat system in the world.

Its clear that you and I don't agree on this. I am not going to continue arguing about it and derail this thread more than it already has been, I've said my piece.

Actually, we do really appreciate all the feedback looters give us, and do consider this a form of testing.

For what it's worth, the proposed system in the thread mainly helps people who don't have 5+ hours a day to dedicate to looting. Disclaimer: This isn't me saying if I agree with it or not, just helping to clarify.
Really? Then I've been operating in disney la la land all this time.
Why have I been running around looking at graphics, paying attention to oddities, reporting quest problems and trying to find new glitches, trying to break the maps or whatever when I could have been just grinding with the same small group on the same boss every hour looting for legendary's and be just as productive as questing and game playing and beta testing.
And after tlopo has generously allowed me to be a beta tester, look at all that time I wasted.

You didnt call them unhealthy. You insulted them.

I actively chat with and interact with most of my looting groups even if I am doing something else at the time. Its hardly robotic. The nature of the game lends itself to being semi-robotic. We dont exactly have the most intense combat system in the world.

Its clear that you and I don't agree on this. I am not going to continue arguing about it and derail this thread more than it already has been, I've said my piece.
We butted heads because you are a looter and I am not and will take everything anyone says defensively. So you are correct, we will agree to disagree and leave it out of the thread.

And to be clear, you're implying I'm referring to tlopo, when the comment is meant as a general quote about all games with rewards, not just tlopo. "Also, I may be weird, but anyone spending 30 hours or more on a video game in a week needs to get a life, not a legendary reward. "
Legendary or any ultimate item in any game. WOW, CofD, LoftR...etc etc etc.
GL

Last edited:
Really? Then I've been operating in disney la la land all this time.
Why have I been running around looking at graphics, paying attention to oddities, reporting quest problems and trying to find new glitches, trying to break the maps or whatever when I could have been just grinding with the same small group on the same boss every hour looting for legendary's and be just as productive as questing and game playing and beta testing.
And after tlopo has generously allowed me to be a beta tester, look at all that time I wasted.

All I said was looting was a valid way to test the game. There's many ways to test a video game, and looting is a major feature of TLOPO, so it'd be ridiculous to say that looting isn't testing.

Just know your testing is appreciated, but looters are testers too and of course we value them.

We butted heads because you are a looter and I am not and will take everything anyone says defensively. So you are correct, we will agree to disagree and leave it out of the thread.

And to be clear, you're implying I'm referring to tlopo, when the comment is meant as a general quote about all games with rewards, not just tlopo. "Also, I may be weird, but anyone spending 30 hours or more on a video game in a week needs to get a life, not a legendary reward. "
Legendary or any ultimate item in any game. WOW, CofD, LoftR...etc etc etc.
GL
I agree with that i have destiny 2 bungie learned there lesson before with to much grind is bad for the game players want rewards. i am a looter but i want something for my hard long hours for nonstop grinding there like alot of legendary grind for

All I said was looting was a valid way to test the game. There's many ways to test a video game, and looting is a major feature of TLOPO, so it'd be ridiculous to say that looting isn't testing.

Just know your testing is appreciated, but looters are testers too and of course we value them.

Yes, yes and yes. Every single person that plays this game is valued. Whether its a roleplayer, the quester, the looter, the PvP/SvSer, CD, CTC, and the ones who just like to link up with their friends and chat. Insulting a player base like some were doing above isn't helpful and nor does it help people feel welcome on this game. Don't like looting? Fine, don't do it. No one is forcing you to. I like to loot because I sometimes like mindless activities to de-stress from everyday life. Self-disclosure: I am a full-time straight A student who works out and plays soccer and I interact with friends and I also like to have some downtime and this game does that for me a la nostalgia from my high school days. Do I enjoy PvP? Not necessarily but I respect those who are good at it.

I like that this game has aspects that are appealing to multiple types of players.

I agree with that i have destiny 2 bungie learned there lesson before with to much grind is bad for the game players want rewards. i am a looter but i want something for my hard long hours for nonstop grinding there like alot of legendary grind for
Perhaps everyone would be happy if tlopo came up with a case/class system. Whereas when you log in you select questing or looting or social and all rewards would be automatically set with different rng per class to what people think fair. If you do anything else other than what you selected all your advantage would be stopped until the game senses you are back in your class selection.

Of course there should be open dialog on the forums as to discuss what is fair for questing or standing in one place for 10 hours is worth.

By K. daggersharp. <-- neat name btw.
"I like to loot because I sometimes like mindless activities to de-stress from everyday life. " So it's okay for you to state mindless activities because perhaps you're a looter or something, but I'm insulting a whole game?
Okay.

Perhaps everyone would be happy if tlopo came up with a case/class system. Whereas when you log in you select questing or looting or social and all rewards would be automatically set with different rng per class to what people think fair. If you do anything else other than what you selected all your advantage would be stopped until the game senses you are back in your class selection.

Of course there should be open dialog on the forums as to discuss what is fair for questing or standing in one place for 10 hours is worth.

"I like to loot because I sometimes like mindless activities to de-stress from everyday life. " So it's okay for you to state mindless activities because perhaps you're a looter or something, but I'm insulting a whole game?
Okay.

I loot. Standing there clicking a button is a mindless activity for me, so yes, it is mindless. I'm not insulting anyone, just saying thats what it is for me. I don't have to think. I click a button. I didn't say anything about anyone else.

Okay.
Honestly, all I can say is that it's the person's choice if they loot or not. You have your opinions on it, and that's fine. It's just a game/game style, and we need to chill out a little. In my outsider's point of view, this is a little out of hand. As someone who rarely plays for more than 3 hours at a time, I don't get the loot I often want. However, I still enjoy the game, and don't stress over it. I do feel like legendary drop rates need a little tweaking, but all in all, I still enjoy the game, with or without a legendary. Oh, and if you do see me, Commodore John Starseeker, soloing a boss, feel free to join in. All that I ask for is a crew invite.

I will add that telling people to get a life because they are enjoying (or maybe just making bad life decisions, like me, or maybe even just having fun on their day off) the way they play the game is insulting. It's unnecessarily harsh for no reason. As one poster said, it's a way to de-stress. It's simple and easy to do. We play games to de-stress and just have some fun after work or school... well, I do at least. Calling a task mindless is not insulting, as it means that it requires little effort. Calling a person mindless is a different story, however the term was used for a task. Yours was aimed at a group of people. That's the difference.

Edit: I am wayyyy late to this party, woah.

Instead of changing overall legendary drop rate, I think a more plausible, but hard to keep track of, option would be what I would call "relative legendary loot per enemy". Here, I am assuming that, from a certain boss, drop rate of all three legendaries, ElPatron, SF and the boss' individual legendary, are equal. The idea is that, if a person would loot a certain legendary weapon, such as SF, at the xth time of looting a legendary from that boss, drop the rate of obtaining that certain legendary from the same boss to half for the (x + 1)th time. A sample run is shown as below:

//Start Rates (Assume Boss is Palifico)
SF = 1 / 3
El Patron = 1 / 3
Leviathan = 1 / 3
// Run 1. Player obtains El Patron
SF = 5 / 12
El Patron = 1 / 6
Leviathan = 5 / 12
// Run 2. Player obtains Leviathan
SF = 5 / 12
El Patron = 5 / 12
Leviathan = 1 / 6

This method, although a bit demanding to implement, would kind of be helpful for preventing disasters such as the one where Rob Darkrage got 20 back to back El Patrons from Palifico, or a single player being so lucky that he / she covers all of his / her inventory with a boss' individual legendary.
Anyways, if another idea comes to other people's mind, I am always open to suggestions. Though, the main problem I observe is not the legendary drop rates being too low, it is (as I have assumed above) equal AND independent drop chance of SF, El Patron and the individual legendary between each time a certain boss is looted.

Last edited:
Back