Dating On Potco?

Dating On POTCO yes or no?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole make-believe stuff is creepy.

Male pirate, real life 38, girl pirate, real life 12. Creepy!

Girl pirate, real-life, 45. boy pirate, real-life 10. Creepy!

Or even a 16 year old and a 9 year old both real-life!

Boy pirate, real life is a girl. Creepy!
Girl pirate, real life is a boy. Creepy!

C R E E P Y !

Real people are behind those pirate clothes, so-to-speak.

like yoville
Exactly or another similar game that I won't name here.
EDIT (Nov 11, 2010 7:27 AM):
that is another good point you bring up, several men told me of certain girls who would do things on cam if they would pay for their monthly premiums, now to me that should be reported, definately, as bad behavior that definately sounds creepy. Just think of what their parents would think if they knew what was going on.
I've run across similar scenarios when I was a moderater in another game, that along with a lot of other very inappropriate behavior as the chat there was unfiltered. If I could have had my way as a mod in that game those accounts banned for such behavior would not have been reinstated without a site moderater first having a chat with those kids parents.

There is definately some weirdness with some of the scenarios described.

Normal adults do not get involved in these situations what you describe falls into the behavior of a predator.
A couple years ago a friend of mine a lady pirate asked me to come to her ship. It seems that she had a guy in crew pestering her to be his girlfriend. She wanted me to pretend to be her husband in an effort to discourage him, Apparently he had been begging her and wouldn't give it up. She is a lady of 35 with two teenage sons. I'm guessing the kid was between 8 and 10 years old judging by the way he was acting. She didn't want to get rude with him because she didn't want to hurt his feelings. When I arrived he started talking about commiting suicide by drinking tonics until he died. After talking to the kid he told me that some other young guys had been teasing and pressuring him to get a girlfriend. Kinda sad really.

Again not a normal situation and maybe a predator.

I know a lady pirate in game who was dating someone for a couple months in game and becoming seriously attached, until she found out he was a woman pretending to be a guy. She got hurt.

True and it might be a 6 year old kid or an 80 year old senior citizen behind that avatar.

Yeah The idea of being involved in a fantasy relationship with someone online doesn't appeal to me either.
quite a few in game playing around with this stuff as a way of cheating on spouses.

The first time I heard about pirate weddings I had unknowingly picked up a psychotic stalker while crewing on a friends ship. Everyone on board with the exception of one lady pirate were all good friends of mine. Normally I decline random friend invites I made the mistake of accepting this one. I sailed around plundering with them for about an hour, joking around with the crew like I usually do in game, then we broke crew and went our own ways. Not long afterwards the lady TP'd to me and asked me to marry her. I was kind of in shock I mean this is pretty much a complete stranger. We got to talking and I found out that she was 35 and married. Living on the opposite end of the country from me.

I declined explaining that fantasy relationships online don't appeal to me. Also that I didn't get involved with married women. I thought that was the end of it. Then she began randomly TPing to me getting hostile and attacking any lady pirates in my crew while accusing me of cheating on her. I'm thinking WHOA this chick is NUTZ. ended up having to delete her from friends. So yeah there are definately some negatives involved with the dating in game thing.

Some positives as well I've met several couples who met in game and later married. My RL fiancee and I both play POTCO. I have mixed feelings regarding the dating in game.

C R E E P Y !

exactly wat i was thinking

Red Nations it looks like you summed everything up that was written and I dido all of it. Misty you hit the nail on the head. I was friends with a female pirate and one evening "He" said (probably because he had too much rum) " i am a women in a mans body." creepy. No one wants to hear that . I also have had a female pirate come up to me and ask me to look for her son and let me know what I find out about him. Well I wondered if it was really her son and maybe it was her husband she wanted me to spy on. I didn't spy becuase it was weird . This is a game. We are Avatars playing a game and most of us have a real life. lol all of us have a real life ouside of this . People looking for a realationship in a game will just look for another one later . I don't think most adults are looking for a romance in Pirates. Anyway I would hope not.

i dont really care about dating on POTCO cause i dont take it really serious lol but i get alot of girls who are taking it really serious and it creeps me out O_O

Lol I feel you solo those are some true words. Dating oon potco doesn't hurt anyone at all although it is true there could be a predator guess what if you don't wanna talk to someone hit ignore or change servers it's that easy. It's all simple fun and no onw gets hurt unless they take it to serious wich some people do.

Pirate wedding? This is something I have got to see! ;)

I've been invited to one...simply could not find the courage to attend. Somewhat cheesy just by watching the crew chat and they forgot to pronounce the man and wife. Although I will say that I've played red light green light and duck duck goose as a pirate...that was much more riveting. :woot:

I've been invited to one...simply could not find the courage to attend. Somewhat cheesy just by watching the crew chat and they forgot to pronounce the man and wife. Although I will say that I've played red light green light and duck duck goose as a pirate...that was much more riveting. :woot:

I have played tag and I must admit it was pretty fun! LOL

Lol I've never tried any of those games with a pirate I should try sometime looks fun :D

I think the idea of trying to date anyone in a game is outrageous. It makes no sence to me at all.
There are other places & ways of doing this for real. This kind of thing should not be seen in POTC, yet it exists. You can be friends all you want, but you should be taking your dateing someplace else & turn it into a reality if it can go that far. I find it hard to believe that there are some people who think a game is reality. It's far from it in my opinion. You really can't be serious to even think it as real. It's a game not a dateing service. POTC is not the only game I've been in where people meet & things happen & they get feelings for each other, or they think they do. This is when you need to take it someplace else more appropriate, & into real life. Meeting someone special can happen. I know of at least 2 people in my StarWars Guild that met in game but they did the right thing & took thier feelings into reality the way it should be done, & really got married in real life. Doing it this way is ok if it goes that far.
You can't really get to know somone in a game. You must find other ways of contact & take it from there, & out of game.

John I agree with you and I'm married in real life with a small child.I have had a lot female friends in POTC in the last few years and yes some creep ed me out when they found me out of game and tried to become to close.I play another pirate game(Pirates of The Burning Sea)and that is mostly adults and seen a lot get carried away with dating in the game.I try to keep my friends list and the guild with a even number of kids and adults and if any comments come up about dating in game"Oh Boy".I had a problem with one pirate one time.My 5 yr old son plays my pirates at times(monitored by me and my wife)and he was just doing what a normal 5 yr old would do(empty server)some 26 yr old guy was alone with a female pirate(she is 15 in real life,I knew who she was)and he was mad cause my son was interrupting him asking her to marry him in the game:eek:.I was floored by what he said and I took screen shots of the chat and sent to Disney.Not into getting anyone in trouble but wow that just creep ed me out and being a adult and a parent.But hey if 2 pirates wanna get married in the game it's weird but like John said"You can't really get to know someone in a game. You must find other ways of contact & take it from there, & out of game".

People say that now you can get banned from POTCO just for staying too close to ppl... :confused:

People say that now you can get banned from POTCO just for staying too close to ppl... :confused:

I dont hope that is true, bc alot of guys think its funny to go up you from behind and flip a coin on you when you are afk. Then think you get banned for that!? O_O

By reading alot of these stories in here, it sounds like potc is a playground for twisted minded ppl. Is it really such a game with more bad ppl then good?

If Disney goes that far to ban people for staying or standing too close, this would be getting a bit out of hand. What do you do when your in a sword fight? Stand real close right? I cant see it happening for that. I can understand the need to ban people for the use of 4 letter colorfull metaphores. They start banning people for good, for standing too close, that could backfire & cause a loss of revenue. I know some have quit this game because of Disney's rules. We've got to remember there are alot of minors playing this game. I don't think Disney thought about how many older adults would try it & find it fun & interesting to play. If & when I see really bad behavior, I won't get into a chat fight with anyone. I just quietly report people more then once, with only hope they get banned & learn a lesson. I've already written to Disney with an idea to have adult servers for us to log into by using special passwords or codes they could give us after they allow us to call them for voice verification. I don't think adult servers will ever happen.

If Disney goes that far to ban people for staying or standing too close, this would be getting a bit out of hand. What do you do when your in a sword fight? Stand real close right? I cant see it happening for that. I can understand the need to ban people for the use of 4 letter colorfull metaphores. They start banning people for good, for standing too close, that could backfire & cause a loss of revenue. I know some have quit this game because of Disney's rules. We've got to remember there are alot of minors playing this game. I don't think Disney thought about how many older adults would try it & find it fun & interesting to play. If & when I see really bad behavior, I won't get into a chat fight with anyone. I just quietly report people more then once, with only hope they get banned & learn a lesson. I've already written to Disney with an idea to have adult servers for us to log into by using special passwords or codes they could give us after they allow us to call them for voice verification. I don't think adult servers will ever happen.

That is a terrific idea! Although, we have to remember that the company is still Disney which will primarily cater to children. Adult servers could really affect their reputation negatively as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back