Debate about sailing loot

I am pretty curious about the loot skull chest thing as well! I never put much thought into it, but I think you're right about getting less skulls than what the cargo hold says. tbf you're kind of using anecdotal evidence though claiming that it's bugged with one screen shot; however, I would be interested in testing your hypothesis. We could compare the gold we get from a bunch of loot runs with skull chests, without them, how many skulls, etc.. Would be as simple as taking a screen shot before porting and after- are you down, @Eric Sailcutter ? Methinks it's just good/bad luck, but am curious to see!
That bug was once super common but then was pronounced fixed by the developers and for quite a while after I did not see it but then on the 7th of November I saw it reappear. I am 100% certain that there were 9 skulls in the hold but, of course, I didn’t expect to see this bug again and never thought of taking the pre-port screenshot, such things can easily be faked anyway so I don’t see the value. Thus far it’s the only instance I’ve noted of that bug recurring after the supposed fix. I recon that @Truecrash simply thinks that I am either a troll or mistaken which I just have no answer for. It is certain that this is a bug and it does still exist, the crew I had on those 2 runs also experienced it and most are on Forums so they could corroborate my story. Since I do a lot of sailing I believe this bug is now quite rare but definitely not gone.

It sounds like you may be confused about the definition of a bug -- a bug is essentially unexpected results from your code, and may or may not be negative in nature.

This means what you're describing isn't a bug, as it's expected behavior. Additionally, there's nothing being incremented or tracked over time in regards to loot, so a server reset won't change RNG or suddenly make people get worse or better loot. Likewise, loot for sailing is determined on the fly as you sink ships, and doesn't care about your total amount of chests -- you can read more about this in the release notes for 1.21.6.

At the end of the day it's purely just luck, which I can understand may seem buggy or unfair, but that's just the nature of luck ;) .
Sure you tell em... and all severs give the same random results all the time : ) ;)

Lets just face facts... we're all still dealing with millions of lines of code and if 20 professional Devs at Disney had a hard time fer years trying to fix or implement anything it's not going to be any easier now :type: (No offense to anyone intended)
:pirate ship:

Last edited:
Here's another screenshot, from yesterday, of the non-existent sailing loot bug where I ported 5 Loot Skull Chests but only got 4. As you can see the loot is inordinately good as well as missing a skull. This is the second day I've seen this bug since it was supposedly fixed. I'd have been thrilled if I were just starting out but alas... I was recently trilled to find the last sailing only item in game that I'd not seen.
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 10.42.21 PM.png

7 skulls in hold but 6 in results from yesterday.View attachment 117365
It seems this bug has made a return to prominence.
I've been seeing this inequity for quite some time and accepted it as beta bugs and whatnot. Didn't matter if I was on my own ship or the rare public ship.
I've even been lucky, or unluckey to board one of your ships from the start and get almost nothing from a full manifest. Although you're a ruthless, slave driving, fearless and arguably reckless at times ship captain, I never thought this was the ship owners fault.

I don't even try to do cannon as your ship any more what with all the rigging blowing by, cannon balls whizzing by my head and masts coming down about me with screaming pirates on fire jumping off the decks, repair is a full time job.
But they sure are fun runs. And we would be getting tremendous rewards if it wasn't for the issue we see.

I'd still be crew anytime.

I've been seeing this inequity for quite some time and accepted it as beta bugs and whatnot. Didn't matter if I was on my own ship or the rare public ship.
I've even been lucky, or unluckey to board one of your ships from the start and get almost nothing from a full manifest. Although you're a ruthless, slave driving, fearless and arguably reckless at times ship captain, I never thought this was the ship owners fault.

I don't even try to do cannon as your ship any more what with all the rigging blowing by, cannon balls whizzing by my head and masts coming down about me with screaming pirates on fire jumping off the decks, repair is a full time job.
But they sure are fun runs. And we would be getting tremendous rewards if it wasn't for the issue we see.

I'd still be crew anytime.
Lol the bug actually gives better loot than normal.

Back