Request Design Trading's GUI!

Stephen Teague

Pirate Lord
Ahoy everyone,

With trading coming down the road, the team wanted to see some concepts for trading's GUI. We have our own ideas, but we wanted to see what the community could come up with. If we like any particular concepts, we may incorporate it into our plans.

Please make sure any designs are your own!

credit me in the patch notes
trading22.png

It would help to know what items are going to be allowed to be traded. Is it exclusively items or can it also be things like gold and materials? Bones, perhaps? If currencies are included, we'll have to make places to fill in those quantities as well.
Not really necessary. Again, the thread is looking for purely visual concepts. You need only insert whatever you think as an item or just a token image. It's totally off topic to discuss what items are tradable. To do so will disrupt the thread and close it before it has a chance to be productive. Every post including mine should be removed, including the one with will smith. That is sarcasm.

Ahoy everyone,

With trading coming down the road, the team wanted to see some concepts for trading's GUI. We have our own ideas, but we wanted to see what the community could come up with. If we like any particular concepts, we may incorporate it into our plans.

Please make sure any designs are your own!
Copy WOW blizzards format with your own art. It works, it makes everyone happy. Why reinvent the dingy.

Some things I think would be beneficial for when trading is implemented:

1. Double Confirmation UI
In order to prevent possible misunderstandings or blatant scams, I think it will be more than necessary to include a two-stage confirmation process for both parties. It would work as follows: both pirates add their proposed items to the GUI, similar to how we see it work while selling at NPC vendors. Both pirates can see each other's boxes as well. Once a pirate is satisfied with what he/she decided to trade, they select "confirm." Once both parties have confirmed, the proposed trade is now "locked in" and displayed again to both pirates. Both pirates can review, hover over each item to ensure it is what they want, and then click a secondary "confirm trade" button. This can prevent last minute malicious swaps of, say, Barracuda Blade for a Spinecrest without the other pirate noticing. On top of this, I think it goes without saying that altering trades should un-confirm the other user involved in the trade. This is common practice in other games with item trading.

2. Internal "Trade Whisper" Designation
Another implementation (granted, not related to the user UI) could be automatic flagging of all whispers between players after a trade initiation as "trading whispers" internally. These chat logs can then be directly linked to trade history for easy moderation access if problems arise down the line and someone submits a report. Not sure how helpful this can realistically be, but just a thought.

3. Polyitem Trading
I don't think trading should be restricted by item type, say, weapon-for-weapon only. For trading to be interesting, I think all item types should be allowed to be added when trading. If I'm trading a Black Shark Blade for a Seven Seas Cutlass, I might want a Dark Black Cotton Gaucho to sweeten the deal. It'd be nice if similar scenarios were possible.

4. Only Include SF/Patron
The looting community has thoroughly voiced their qualms with trading in general already, so I won't add to that hysteria. Center stage in that argument, though, is the removal of legendaries from trading contention. I think this should still happen, but I believe that The Lost Sword of El Patron and Silver Freeze can be fair game due to their rarity more closely resembling that of Famed weapons. I suspect the looting community would agree!

5. Mark Traded Itemcards
An idea was shown in the past where item cards would have a small tag on them prior to trading, removed after the item is traded so to designate it as "traded" or, some might say, AKA "worth less." The idea is on the right track—just backwards. We need to keep item cards of untraded items unmolested. Tags should only be added to traded items.

Thanks (seriously, thanks!) for letting the community add to the fun! Good luck team!

I think some of you might be confused as to what the team is asking here. So, here is an explanation of what GUI means:

Summary: GUI = Graphical User Interface. Means what you see on screen for you to interact in the game. Basically, the menu, the inventory, etc.

They are asking for your suggestions on how the Trading Menu should look and work.

What would be nice is if we got a window like when buying items from a vendor when you can see the card of the item upfront as it's clicked on. Only this time, the card would appear when an item is initially put into the trading slot. This would further help people not get baited into getting, say, a Bruiser's Cutlass instead of a Black Shark Blade. In addition, I think it should need a confirm prompt from both players in the trade and once those are through, an "are you sure" for both players as well.

Some things I think would be beneficial for when trading is implemented:

1. Double Confirmation UI
In order to prevent possible misunderstandings or blatant scams, I think it will be more than necessary to include a two-stage confirmation process for both parties. It would work as follows: both pirates add their proposed items to the GUI, similar to how we see it work while selling at NPC vendors. Both pirates can see each other's boxes as well. Once a pirate is satisfied with what he/she decided to trade, they select "confirm." Once both parties have confirmed, the proposed trade is now "locked in" and displayed again to both pirates. Both pirates can review, hover over each item to ensure it is what they want, and then click a secondary "confirm trade" button. This can prevent last minute malicious swaps of, say, Barracuda Blade for a Spinecrest without the other pirate noticing. On top of this, I think it goes without saying that altering trades should un-confirm the other user involved in the trade. This is common practice in other games with item trading.

2. Internal "Trade Whisper" Designation
Another implementation (granted, not related to the user UI) could be automatic flagging of all whispers between players after a trade initiation as "trading whispers" internally. These chat logs can then be directly linked to trade history for easy moderation access if problems arise down the line and someone submits a report. Not sure how helpful this can realistically be, but just a thought.

3. Polyitem Trading
I don't think trading should be restricted by item type, say, weapon-for-weapon only. For trading to be interesting, I think all item types should be allowed to be added when trading. If I'm trading a Black Shark Blade for a Seven Seas Cutlass, I might want a Dark Black Cotton Gaucho to sweeten the deal. It'd be nice if similar scenarios were possible.

4. Only Include SF/Patron
The looting community has thoroughly voiced their qualms with trading in general already, so I won't add to that hysteria. Center stage in that argument, though, is the removal of legendaries from trading contention. I think this should still happen, but I believe that The Lost Sword of El Patron and Silver Freeze can be fair game due to their rarity more closely resembling that of Famed weapons. I suspect the looting community would agree!

5. Mark Traded Itemcards
An idea was shown in the past where item cards would have a small tag on them prior to trading, removed after the item is traded so to designate it as "traded" or, some might say, AKA "worth less." The idea is on the right track—just backwards. We need to keep item cards of untraded items unmolested. Tags should only be added to traded items.

Thanks (seriously, thanks!) for letting the community add to the fun! Good luck team!
The Perfect setup for trading. Let’s hope.

Reminder to stay on topic of the thread. This thread is NOT a thread to discuss what should or should not be traded. Any off topic posts will be warned and removed.

The OP has requested suggestions on what the Trading GUI, Trading Menu if you will, should look like. Please see my post above if you do not understand or are unsure what GUI means exactly.

I think you can use the already familiar interface that is used by the NPC's when you sell items, but both parties must double confirm prior to the trade actually taking place.
^ This so the theme/design stays the same. Maybe also add a warning message to alert the player that they're about to trade a famed and/or legendary to another player. (that is if legendary weapons become tradable, Which I hope they do because I would love my trading achievements idea that I posted somewhere to be implemented :p ).

Back