Idea Dev Feedback: Padres Facelift

Mr. Dev

TLOPO Staff
Hey, everyone! Today I'm bringing you a preview of something one of our texture artists has been working on: a rework of Padres' ground texture.

Something everyone on the TLOPO team has felt strongly is that Padres just isn't quite what it could be. If you recall old Padres del Fuego from 2007-8, it was darker, more mountainous, gritter. We want to try and bring that same energy over to the new Padres layout. We do intend on bringing back Old Padres at some point, along with the other two old main islands, but they won't ever be a part of the main world, as there's too much new content (like invasions) that is dependent on the current layout.

So, something we wanted to do was to give "New" Padres some love. Nothing too drastic. To start, here are some pics of the remade ground texture:

1590285381306.png

1590285416510.png

1590285443404.png

Here is a comparison between Disney's original Padres texture (left), and our new version (right):
1590285482049.png
1590285537830.png

How does this look? Do you like it? What areas could be improved upon? Please share below!

Another thing we wanted to discuss here was the foliage of Padres. Being a volcanic island, it'd make sense for Padres' fertile volcanic soil to foster the growth of tropical plants. Obviously, trees would still remain burnt directly next to the lava, but we were brainstorming the possibility of adding a bit more greenery around the island.

What do you think of this? Would it change the original atmosphere of the island too much? Should we just stick to the ground texture? Please let us know!

With TLOPO, YOU, the community, comes first. We want your feedback before we make a big change like this. Thanks so much for your help! :D

I like how the ground is a little bit darker where before it was more lit up. It's more realistic considering the ash that would probably would be coming from the volcano itself is now settled on the ground. It might be hard to place green around the island considering it normally might not be supportive of any green. Over all that is a ton of beautiful work and I tip my hat off to all of the guys who worked hard on this project, very well done!!!

Last edited:
I like how the ground is a little bit darker where before it was more lit up. It's more realistic considering the ash that would probably would be coming from the volcano itself is now settled on the ground. It might be hard to place green around the island considering it normally wouldn't be supportive of any green as you could probably imagine. Over all that is a ton of beautiful work and I tip my hat off to all of the guys who worked hard on this project, very well done!!!

I wouldn't be too sure! At least in part to how volcanic eruptions affect the landscapes of their islands, Padres is currently only partially accurate. See, volcanoes, and therein volcanic islands such as Padres *will* produce charred landscapes, burnt by lava flow and debris from eruptions, but the reality of it is that the outcome of these cataclysmic events actually provides the soil of the surrounding mountains and valleys with a naturally abundant soil, and is very fertile!

A good example of this is on the big island of Hawaii especially from Hualalai, Kilauea, and Kohala, where much of the landscape is a lush green with tracks on black sands, volcanic rock, and other debris of volcanic eruptions littered around the island.

Pathing width is very inconsistent. There's some areas that the lighter areas rub directly against the mountain walls--if it was a truly walked path, those inconsistencies wouldn't look like that. There might be some thinner straying paths a bit from the main area, but nothing like random zones that appear "walked on" that aren't near anything.

I wouldn't be too sure! At least in part to how volcanic eruptions affect the landscapes of their islands, Padres is currently only partially accurate. See, volcanoes, and therein volcanic islands such as Padres *will* produce charred landscapes, burnt by lava flow and debris from eruptions, but the reality of it is that the outcome of these cataclysmic events actually provides the soil of the surrounding mountains and valleys with a naturally abundant soil, and is very fertile!

A good example of this is on the big island of Hawaii especially from Hualalai, Kilauea, and Kohala, where much of the landscape is a lush green with tracks on black sands, volcanic rock, and other debris of volcanic eruptions littered around the island.
That is actually true! Very good point!

I really like it!! However, I think it would be better if there was still some ash around the island, especially if there was a more concentrated amount of ash closer to the volcano. It would be a bit more realistic then just removing the ashy look entirely.

I think it would be cool if the ground was darker depending on where on the island you are located. Example is ground under the smoke thats travelling out of the volcano there would be more ash on the ground as it would be falling down. I think it travels off to the right, so fort dundee would have much darker ground then say over by romany bev, if that makes sense. would give a much more immersive experience then just darker textures all around.

Is this really that big of a change? you are changing the colour of the dirt.

EDIT: I understand there are people who are concerned with small graphical changes like this, for the sake of immersion, I guess, but TLOPO has made much more drastic changes before without making a thread like this to consult with the community about it before. I just don't understand the wording. For example, my immersion is broken when they release a Halloween map (Hollowed Woods) in the middle of May.

With that being said, hopefully you guys make threads like this for the future, just, about more... pressing things.

Last edited:
Looks good! As the vegetation goes, I think the hole Padres itself needs more gray clouds (especially when the volcano is about to erupt) and if weather would come back, acid rain.

I like how the ground is a little bit darker where before it was more lit up. It's more realistic considering the ash that would probably would be coming from the volcano itself is now settled on the ground. It might be hard to place green around the island considering it normally might not be supportive of any green. Over all that is a ton of beautiful work and I tip my hat off to all of the guys who worked hard on this project, very well done!!!
It was formed via a volcano, so most could be darker soil. However, volcanic islands do indeed support all sorts of fauna depending how close to natural systems the islands are to others. Or what gets brought in. But the darker tones seem more realistic to me. IMO. Perhaps some smokey, smoldering spots and pools elsewhere on the island, near the lava areas.

Back