Blog Post DEVELOPER STREAM RECAP: NEW HORIZONS!

I watched the stream last night and I have to say, I'm hugely impressed by the progress made.

Years ago I helped a friend create a website for his shop and I remember the hours....days...agonising, after I'd added new content which messed up the entire site...only to find the culprit was one misplaced character in the code. It was kind of fun, but also a bit of a nightmare and an experience I doubt I'd ever want to repeat.

I fully appreciate the knowledge, skill, time, blood, sweat and tears that the team are pouring into this project on our behalf. Every small improvement you make is something to celebrate!

I look forward to reaping the benefits of your awesomeness!
:pirate ship:

I'm happy everyone was able to "see" first hand during the live stream that the game still has issues being worked on. Hopefully it shows all of us testers what still is being worked on and that everything the Devs are doing is getting better and better, should still be a little more time. Keep up all of your good work guys!!!!! we will still be here ready to test when you are ready to release!!!

To be honest, the stream was a bit underwhelming for me. There was definitely improvements, but I spotted some issues that kind of spoiled it. I am glad to see SvS back though, one of my favorite parts of the game. The FPS is nice, and sailing AI has gotten better. Those were really the only things I cared about. Everything else seemed somewhat redundant. And lastly, how the game is probably not going to release until a few more weeks. I'm not complaining or anything, I really appreciate what the devs are doing, but I wasn't ever really that excited nor disappointed.

What exactly were you expecting? they got Enemy AI, ship AI, and bounty hunters/ship customization, SvS, and other things fixed like the memory leak crashes, plus some other minor stuff AND bonus stuff like new peddler clothes. To be honest there wasn't anything disappointing about the stream especially if you've seen the last stream and how much progress they've made since then.

What exactly were you expecting? they got Enemy AI, ship AI, and bounty hunters/ship customization, SvS, and other things fixed like the memory leak crashes, plus some other minor stuff AND bonus stuff like new peddler clothes. To be honest there wasn't anything disappointing about the stream especially if you've seen the last stream and how much progress they've made since then.
I'm well aware of what they have. Thing is, several weeks ago they said that they were nearly done. From what I saw, yeah progress was made, but it didn't look quite at all ready. And the stream itself wasn't disappointing, it was all the hype everyone was putting on it that really ruined it for me. The expectations were high, yet they weren't met.

I'm well aware of what they have. Thing is, several weeks ago they said that they were nearly done. From what I saw, yeah progress was made, but it didn't look quite at all ready. And the stream itself wasn't disappointing, it was all the hype everyone was putting on it that really ruined it for me. The expectations were high, yet they weren't met.

Well you have to remember, it's still in semi-open beta, it was just literally a few months ago they went from alpha to semi-open beta. Things aren't going to work, and everything's not meant to work because again, it's beta. If you expect more than that I'm sorry to say, but you'll have to wait until the game officially launches out of the testing phase.

Well you have to remember, it's still in semi-open beta, it was just literally a few months ago they went from alpha to semi-open beta. Things aren't going to work, and everything's not meant to work because again, it's beta. If you expect more than that I'm sorry to say, but you'll have to wait until the game officially launches out of the testing phase.
Listen buddy, I already know that it's in beta, and that everything isn't supposed to work. I'm just calling out those who hype it up because right now is not the appropriate time for that. Here's an earlier post explaining my reasoning:
Exactly. The "hype train" honestly needs to stop. I'm all for getting excited, but it's the overhyping of things that eventually never live up to the expectations that irks me. The game will have bugs and glitches and crashes when it comes back, it's in Beta. The only scenario I think that should get hyped up is the full, polished release, but that's not happening anytime "soon".
Don't reply if you have nothing to say mate.

Listen buddy, I already know that it's in beta, and that everything isn't supposed to work. I'm just calling out those who hype it up because right now is not the appropriate time for that. Here's an earlier post explaining my reasoning:

Don't reply if you have nothing to say mate.

First of all, my original comment was referring to your original comment in the thread. And the "Hype train" comment you used as evidence was pertaining to the game coming up after the stream or an announcement being made on the stream of when it's coming back, so that right there in itself is irrelevant to the subject of you being underwhelmed with the stream and its contents i.e your original comment (Which is why I made that comment towards you in the first place). As I'm seeing it, you haven't really said anything pertaining to what I said to you other than telling me "Don't reply if you have nothing to say".

Anyways, I'd say we're done here because it's becoming off topic

First of all, my original comment was referring to your original comment in the thread. And the "Hype train" comment you used as evidence was pertaining to the game coming up after the stream or an announcement being made on the stream of when it's coming back, so that right there in itself is irrelevant to the subject of you being underwhelmed with the stream and its contents i.e your original comment (Which is why I made that comment towards you in the first place). As I'm seeing it, you haven't really said anything pertaining to what I said to you other than telling me "Don't reply if you have nothing to say".

Anyways, I'd say we're done here because it's becoming off topic
I'm sorry if my replies we're a bit confusing. Alls I'm saying is that the stream was great, everything about it was good. The problem was is the hype around it. It's good to have excitement, but when it came to realizing that the game wasn't coming out anytime soon, it bothered me. I was underwhelmed because it wasn't what I was quite looking for, despite it still being really good. And lastly, I stopped playing POTCO around 2010ish so I didn't get to experience some of the newer content they had, explaining why I only cared for SvS, and sailing AI. That's why everything else seemed somewhat redundant.

And yes, I'll stop for the sake of the thread.

One thing I will point out:

People asked for more communication, so with more communication, it's likely that information gets revealed in a blog post or a post on here etc. So then when the stream comes around and people complain about lacking surprises, well, those surprises were revealed due to the begging of "more communication". This is just an observation I have, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Last edited:
Very heartening to see the enemy ship AI appears fixed. Really, the only other thing I much care about in the short term is the game stability which appears to still be a nagging issue, though I found that crashing was minimal once I learned the trick of turning off the sound (only about 5% as many crashes as with the sound on). I also noticed that fishing rarely crashed even with the sound on and wonder if it had to do with the sound track for fishing being somehow different to the rest of the game.

Posted by The Crew on April 29, 2017, 8:30 p.m.
View attachment 82142

Ahoy, everyone!

Thanks so much for attending our ninth Developer Stream! It was really fun to interact with you all directly and show off some of our progress! For those of you who missed it, here’s a list of everything we previewed during the stream:

New Water Effects: Improved textures and reflections for water have been added to the game! Additionally, there are now larger waves when sailing the High Seas.

Bounty Hunters: After amassing a certain amount of loot, Bounty Hunters and powerful Navy Warships will chase your crew across the seas!

Ship Customization: All features of Ship Customization, including custom hulls, rigging, emblems, and sail colors were shown off!

Privateering: Ship vs. Ship, a fan favorite, made a return in the stream! This feature will launch when the game is back online.

Player-to-Player Teleportation: Players can now teleport to each other from anywhere in the Caribbean!

Isla Escondida: Members of the Storyline Team talked about the quests surrounding our new island, and the conflict between its Bounty Hunter inhabitants.

New Enemies: New Bounty Hunter enemies were shown on the docks of Isla Escondida, alongside a sneak peek at a new Non-Undead crab enemy!

New Clothing: French Privateer, an all-new Peddler ensemble adorned in blue cloth, white lace, and gold trim was shown off.

And finally, we wanted to thank you all for your continued support during our extended downtime. We understand how hard it is to go without the game we all love so much. We’re working tirelessly to bring you the best experience possible! As always, please stay tuned to this blog, Pirates Forums, and our Facebook page for any updates as they become available.

Thank you for everything.

Fairest of winds,
The Crew @ TLOPO

Miss the stream? Watch it here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6eV98iOfI
I have a few questions, first will bananas and belts be fixed previously they were white no matter the color, second you guys said you were going to alter the ravens cove quest, well altering with that alters the opportunity to loot legendary cursed and cursed famed weapons and for me this was a main key point in the game I would loot for hours to obtain these weapons. But in the past you needed to complete ravens cove quest to get these weapons now if you are changing the ravens cove quest when can I expect to start looting legendary cursed weapons please elaborate ?

Back