disappearing threads.

squintz

Pirate Lord
Good morning all.
There is something about a forum function that is incredibly annoying to me, perhaps I don't know the trick.

But when I click 'new post', and get the list, then left click a thread and it opens, and I read one post but don't answer or do anything, or even if I do respond or like.Then I click 'new threads' while that post is open, go back to 'new post' list and that thread I was reading is gone. I don't it see any more, and can't find it at all. Very few seem to stay on the list, if at all.
Where do these go? Most of the time I have to step back in my navigating history to find them.

What am I missing?

The threads honestly don't get anywhere. The New Posts page will display you any threads you haven't looked at yet and the most recent profile. posts. As soon as you open a thread that is listed in the 'New Posts' tab it will disappear from the list but the thread will still be replaced in the respective secton it was posted in. Sometimes the thread will stay for a period of time even when you already looked it but it should be gone as soon as you comment on it and you check the list a couple of seconds later.

On my own forum for instance threads will immediately disappear from the New Posts list as soon as you've seen them.

It is however intentional that the what's new results are cached and persisted for a period of time. Xenforo turned the timer down to 5 seconds in the past and I wouldn't be able to tell you if they have changed it in the past or if it's different on here.

The threads honestly don't get anywhere. The New Posts page will display you any threads you haven't looked at yet and the most recent profile. posts. As soon as you open a thread that is listed in the 'New Posts' tab it will disappear from the list but the thread will still be replaced in the respective secton it was posted in. Sometimes the thread will stay for a period of time even when you already looked it but it should be gone as soon as you comment on it and you check the list a couple of seconds later.

On my own forum for instance threads will immediately disappear from the New Posts list as soon as you've seen them.

It is however intentional that the what's new results are cached and persisted for a period of time. Xenforo turned the timer down to 5 seconds in the past and I wouldn't be able to tell you if they have changed it in the past or if it's different on here.
I understand that, however, not everyone is always paying attention to their thread titles and then you're stuck trying to figure out where the thread was. Then what, go searching in watched threads or something. I don't know what the solution is and it's aggravating as heck.

There is simply no solution for this other than making sure what thread you're looking at before doing anything. I suggest you to look at the thread title and then the location of the thread to remember it. You can always use your history to find it back.

c9e69109c8f311c3da51b8a4cc25d95b.png

708db8df8ca7fc0a8b3cc16d3138b8fa.png

There is simply no solution for this other than making sure what thread you're looking at before doing anything. I suggest you to look at the thread title and then the location of the thread to remember it. You can always use your history to find it back.

c9e69109c8f311c3da51b8a4cc25d95b.png

708db8df8ca7fc0a8b3cc16d3138b8fa.png
Why not just leave any updating until you leave the session. Making people go through so many steps just to try to get back to a thread they were just on is a very poor design. People should not be punished because they like to jump around to other threads.

The "New Posts" section of the forums shows threads that have unread (hence "new") posts. When you view the thread, it marks that thread as read, which removes it from New Posts for you.

I would recommend if you want to go back to something in a short amount of time that you open it in a new tab (right click > open in new tab). You can also review your history or your "Recent Activity" on your profile to see posts you've liked that you want to come back to.

Why not just leave any updating until you leave the session. Making people go through so many steps just to try to get back to a thread they were just on is a very poor design. People should not be punished because they like to jump around to other threads.
This is simply how Xenforo works. Nothing much can and probably will be done about this. You can always try to suggest to have it changed on the official forums but I honestly don't think that it's gonna happen.

The "New Posts" section of the forums shows threads that have unread (hence "new") posts. When you view the thread, it marks that thread as read, which removes it from New Posts for you.

I would recommend if you want to go back to something in a short amount of time that you open it in a new tab (right click > open in new tab). You can also review your history or your "Recent Activity" on your profile to see posts you've liked that you want to come back to.
I read many new posts without doing anything, but go to the next one, and the last one is already gone. If there's a read list, I can never find it in there either because I think it goes to the end of pages or something. Could there be a setting where I tell the forum that I want just read to go on the list first as most recent. I don't think I see that option. The only solution is to open it in it's own tab. I do that, but that would leave 12 tabs on firefox open and firefox now literally opens another whole browser each tab in their attempt to keep you active in browser and make your browsing more 'efficient'.

I was hoping I was missing a shortcut or setting, but I guess not. The forum function is not doing me a favor marking a thread and 'removing it for me'. It's counter intuitive. There isn't a solution. There doesn't seem to be a recent activity selection in profiles.

View attachment 109258

My recommendation is creating a bookmark folder for threads that you are interested in and that you would like to return to.
D'oh, I didn't actually click on 'your profile page' lol. Thanks.
They should put that link in the drop down menu I was looking at instead of your news feed.
Apologizes to John as well.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, the 'New Posts' page only contains unread threads. Click 'Recent Posts' on the top-right side of the 'New Posts' page to get a list of all recent threads regardless of unread status. That's probably closer to what you wanted than the recent activity feed.

Also, opening threads in new tabs from the 'New Posts' page may make things easier as well.

Back