Discord

Jack Cannonskull

Pirate Lord
Hello everyone.. I have said and discussed it so many times and I'm just getting tired of it at this point.
Discord is a problem, it causes drama and I cant stand it any longer.

a ton of TLOPO guilds including my former guilds and huge guilds Reds Army and Dark Archive REQUIRE you to have discord to be promoted. This requirement pains me because I don't have, want, need, or will get discord. I'm tired of arguing forever about this issue there is already a chat that you can use. If you need other communication use the forums. Its not necessary to have discord to be an officer/vet in an online game!

It shouldn't be a requirement I'm so tired of it SO tired of it. It has caused me to leave both of the guilds mentioned above.

Questions?

Ask

I do not have any questions... But I will throw my two cents in. Admittedly my view point is in the DISTINCT minority as far as how most gamers feel about things.

Firstly. I despise ranks. I know that in quite a few MMOs, there is a lot of end game content such as instance dungeons and such that require a little bit of structure to lead big groups. As of right now though, TLOPO doesn't really fit into that category. I belong to a small, close-knit 'family-feel' kind of guild. Even though I was very vocal about not wanting to be an officer, I was made one anyway.... Regardless, my guild mates know that I consider them equals and that their voice is every bit as important as mine. If a guild has gotten so big and full of randomly invited people of differing opinions, attitudes and behavior that they require a babysitter to keep them in line or something like that, the guild was probably built on a poor foundation. Ranks also often have the VERY sad effect of becoming popularity contests or something similar to that. There is already so much structure in real life. I do not care to have it in my entertainment. I also do not need a title or rank in an imaginary world to feel fulfilled or accomplished. I have already done that to a great degree in real life and I know my worth.

All of that being said, these guilds do have the prerogative of making that a requirement. In TLOPO, we agreed to a set of behavior, rules and constants. So long as a guild does not violate those 'Master' rules, I would think that a member who joins is agreeing to allow themselves to fall under the guild rules. I agree that requirements such as discord for rank is trivial, but if that is their rules... The guild is probably not for you. (Or me for that matter) ... I have been invited to TONS of guilds... But very, very few have the same overall approach to what a guild should be that I do.

My suggestion, (and this means most likely NOT being a part of a huge guild or a guild containing moderators and such) would be to investigate options that more closely mirror your preferences... Or perhaps better yet (if you are up to the patient and monumental task) founding and slowly growing a guild that matches your preferences. My thought has always been, if I feel this way, most likely there are many more who also feel this way.

I'm sure by now you know I appreciate you Jack. I most sincerely hope you find EXACTLY what you are looking for in order to enjoy TLOPO to the fullest! I understand your frustration and I agree with you on many levels... Some people like to take something simple, fun and entertaining and turn it into something complicated, over-structured and more chaotic than is necessary.

I am most CERTAINLY also not bashing on these guilds... If they are big and relatively successful then it is obvious that certain things that they are doing are appealing to many people... Even if it is the 'bragging rights' of belonging to a big guild full of notable people.

You take care my friend. Think things over carefully and I hope you find what you are looking for! :)

Put simply, Discord is extremely useful for communicating something to a large group of people, since on TLOPO you can't see messages from when you're offline. It's so much easier to type out the rules once for everyone to see than to have to type them whenever someone new joins the guild, that's just a fact you can't argue that. Important information for Veterans/Officers is probably given out like this so it doesn't need to be repeated every time someone logs on. I agree with the decision these guilds have made because it lessens the hassle so much.

I'd think to myself, do I really need to be a Veteran or an Officer to enjoy this guild? The answer for me 10 times out of 10 would be no. If having a fancy rank is the only thing that makes you want to stay in a guild, I'd find another guild where they give it out to just anyone. Being a Veteran or an Officer really is not that big of a deal whatsoever in my opinion.

---Edit---

Touching on your point of using the forums instead, sometimes that's not enough. On Discord, it's so much easier for people to type back and forth unlike on the forums. I think you can set up email notifications or something for the forums (correct me if I'm wrong), but Discord's notification services are much more customizable and easy to set up. Email notifications don't even hold a light to having push notifications right on your favorite device. Discord also provides a voice chat for people who may be on a ship doing SvS together where that sort of thing is extremely useful.

Discord is also much easier to moderate than a guild on TLOPO. Rules can be made extremely clear, and it's easy to have a record of who said what, so there's almost never a he-said-she-said situation like on TLOPO where message logs aren't exactly available. However, the voice chat would have to be monitored by some sort of entity to ensure the rules are being followed, but you can always leave the voice chats and you don't have to enter them if you choose not to.

Last edited:
Put simply, Discord is extremely useful for communicating something to a large group of people, since on TLOPO you can't see messages from when you're offline. It's so much easier to type out the rules once for everyone to see than to have to type them whenever someone new joins the guild, that's just a fact you can't argue that. Important information for Veterans/Officers is probably given out like this so it doesn't need to be repeated every time someone logs on. I agree with the decision these guilds have made because it lessens the hassle so much.

I'd think to myself, do I really need to be a Veteran or an Officer to enjoy this guild? The answer for me 10 times out of 10 would be no. If having a fancy rank is the only thing that makes you want to stay in a guild, I'd find another guild where they give it out to just anyone. Being a Veteran or an Officer really is not that big of a deal whatsoever in my opinion.

---Edit---

Touching on your point of using the forums instead, sometimes that's not enough. On Discord, it's so much easier for people to type back and forth unlike on the forums. I think you can set up email notifications or something for the forums (correct me if I'm wrong), but Discord's notification services are much more customizable and easy to set up. Email notifications don't even hold a light to having push notifications right on your favorite device. Discord also provides a voice chat for people who may be on a ship doing SvS together where that sort of thing is extremely useful.

Discord is also much easier to moderate than a guild on TLOPO. Rules can be made extremely clear, and it's easy to have a record of who said what, so there's almost never a he-said-she-said situation like on TLOPO where message logs aren't exactly available. However, the voice chat would have to be monitored by some sort of entity to ensure the rules are being followed, but you can always leave the voice chats and you don't have to enter them if you choose not to.
I wouldn't like a guild that gives them out for free, I feel like its something you earn. My problem is that I don't think its fair to earn a rank but wait you have to have discord to do so.

I do agree with @Remington on basically everything though :p

Last edited:

---Edit---

These are the points I was going to mention, but you said it much better Elzabeth.

Most importantly Discord is a "real time" conversation platform. The forums are not designed for that.

Also, significantly less people use forums than people who use Discord. Most people that play TLOPO don't use the forums at all! This is the case for most games, actually.

It's as simple as this. Nothing caused you to leave those guilds, you did it on your own. The guilds of TLOPO can set whatever requirements they wish, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop them. It is up to you as an individual if you wish to remain there or not, and wish to abide by their requirements and rules or not. If you do not like discord, that is fine, but there is nothing you can do to get everyone to stop using it. With how absolutely ridiculous the chat filters are on TLOPO, discord is a much easier way for guilds to communicate, free of any rules the guild does not set themselves. So in the end, it is your decision on what you do in this game, and any action you take is not the fault of a chat app, or any guilds. Your decisions rest squarely on your shoulders.

Yknow, it's their guild, so it's their rules. Not really much you can do about it.

Plenty of great guilds that I've been in don't require Discord to be promoted. I personally prefer guilds that promote no one, to avoid drama and to avoid people kissing up to get a higher rank.

Yknow, it's their guild, so it's their rules. Not really much you can do about it.

Plenty of great guilds that I've been in don't require Discord to be promoted. I personally prefer guilds that promote no one, to avoid drama and to avoid people kissing up to get a higher rank.
Well spoken... I especially like the last sentence. And there really are a lot of great guilds... (Maybe not HUGE guilds) ... but definitely great ones... that do not have rules such as this.

Hello everyone.. I have said and discussed it so many times and I'm just getting tired of it at this point.
Discord is a problem, it causes drama and I cant stand it any longer.

a ton of TLOPO guilds including my former guilds and huge guilds Reds Army and Dark Archive REQUIRE you to have discord to be promoted. This requirement pains me because I don't have, want, need, or will get discord. I'm tired of arguing forever about this issue there is already a chat that you can use. If you need other communication use the forums. Its not necessary to have discord to be an officer/vet in an online game!

It shouldn't be a requirement I'm so tired of it SO tired of it. It has caused me to leave both of the guilds mentioned above.

Questions?

Ask
It's up to the guilds to decide the qualifications to be promoted. If you have objection to that you should find another guild.

Can I put my 2-pieces-of-eight here...being a TLOPO newbie (and thus, haven't accumulated any reputation...yet!)??

I've been an officer of a few online gaming guilds...back in the day. We used voice-comm programs for in-game events & coordination amongst other guilds for events. BUT...all of our meetings were held on either IRC or some other TEXT messaging system. Several reason we found that this curtailed:
• Some people's voices do not convey the actual words correctly. For example, in RL my voice is a bit mono-tone and boring...but tends to sound exasperated often for no reason...it turns people off or puts them on the defensive automatically.
• Some people are shy and/or can't express themselves effectively using their voice. So they go into meetings being rather meek and do not share their ideas/concerns...ideas that most often turn out to be fantastic ideas!
• Texting allows people to *think* about their response/concerns BEFORE typing it out...they self-edit themselves. Often a misspoke communication ends up offending someone...and once said, can't be repaired.
• I currently have 14 Discord servers to which I belong. If I find a voice channel that ends up talking CRAP at others and just acting childish, I leave the voice channel with a "toodles".
• Being a "pirate" doesn't mean being an butt...although the InterTubes are littered with stupidheads who NEED to express their inner spoiled child.
• Everyone is different with different triggers. Texting meetings tends to diffuse triggers.

Thanks and TQQdles™,

Noldor Numbwit
Eternal Testing Newbie
Member, The Older Gamers (TOG)

Discord is quite essential when everyone in-game has to spend 5 minutes trying to form a "kid friendly" sentence that won't be filtered into "arrr garrr yarrr." The absence of open chat is the reason discord has become so popular. If you don't like guilds that utilize discord then you should make your own guild called "NoDiscord."

In the game, we have a whitelist to deal with, on the forums, we have a blacklist to deal with, and while the blacklist here is generally more forgiving, it can still be an issue, although these offending words are edited unlike discord bots that monitor for language deleting the message entirely. The reason why I prefer discord is because it's more friendly to use, and discord servers essentially serve as a mass IM client, and we are able to see messages as far back to the creation of the particular text channel. Unlike Steam chat which clears messages older than a week.

In the game, we have a whitelist to deal with, on the forums, we have a blacklist to deal with, and while the blacklist here is generally more forgiving, it can still be an issue, although these offending words are edited unlike discord bots that monitor for language deleting the message entirely. The reason why I prefer discord is because it's more friendly to use, and discord servers essentially serve as a mass IM client, and we are able to see messages as far back to the creation of the particular text channel. Unlike Steam chat which clears messages older than a week.
I want a whitelist and blacklist I'm not going to go chat on some open chat thing. I don't want to see a bunch of cursing ETC

Back