Discussion of Discord Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Mak

Lead Mod
Greetings Forum Family!!!

Unfortunately, the topic of Discord servers has become something of a hot button issue lately. We here at Pirates Forums, and also on behalf of the TLOPO team, have a few things we would like considered with regards to Discord servers.

First, we want it known that we aren't trying to show bias towards any one single Discord server. Nor would we without good reason, as it is almost certain that neither of our teams will ever have official Discord servers. With this in mind, we would appreciate if the names of community Discord servers did not contain 'TLOPO' or 'Pirates Forums', unofficial or otherwise, as the things we have seen lately are things we would prefer not to be associated with. We do not wish to offend anyone, and ask that people remember that moderation of these servers can be difficult, and that this is a genuine request on our part rather than a demand.

Effective tomorrow, May 18th, we will be locking threads involving Discord servers and creating an unofficial directory thread instead. Discussions surrounding Discord servers have been pretty animated community-wide, and things have only continued to snowball on that front. For a server to be added to this list, the server owner is required to be a member of the forums. Along with this, a reminder that any discussion from Discord servers that rolls over to the forums may be reported and subsequently removed, with warnings given out for any rule infractions as necessary.

We'd appreciate if server owners would handle any issues that arise either via conversations here or on the Discord server itself. We will not be moderating or associating with any Discord servers. Members of our teams may be a part of them, of course, but they'd be representing only themselves as individuals and not either of the teams directly.

Edit:
Policy has been updated to include all External Chat services
https://piratesforums.co/threads/discussion-of-any-external-chat-services.22137/

You may find the Unofficial Discord Directory thread here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/unofficial-discord-directory.18405/

@Mark Scurvyfox will be taking care of this thread, so please send server addition requests to him, and let him know if any changes arise.

Once again, as always, thank you all so much for being a part of our Forum Family. Issues as of late have been escalating in toxicity and consequently have become difficult to deal with... so it's time to make a change. We appreciate all of your contributions and hope this will alleviate any Discord issues in the future.

Your Swashbuckling Lead Moderator,
Johnny Mak

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what's wrong with people discussing Discord servers. Is it because specific Discord servers that were mentioned on the forums had been proven to be inappropriate, or because the TLOPO staff strongly dislikes Discord as a whole and wants to discourage discussions about them based on their own opinion?
We've tried to be patient and permissive, but Discord threads have been a persistent headache for us to moderate. Lots of bickering and arguing; almost all of them got out of hand very quickly. We're not overly concerned with the appropriateness of Discord servers, so long as it's clear we're not associated with them. (We're also not the TLOPO team.) We just don't want to babysit these threads any more... so we tried to reach a compromise that still allows Discords to be promoted/linked on the forums but without all the trouble.

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what's wrong with people discussing Discord servers. Is it because specific Discord servers that were mentioned on the forums had been proven to be inappropriate, or because the TLOPO staff strongly dislikes Discord as a whole and wants to discourage discussions about them based on their own opinion?

Please understand that the staff here at Pirates Forums discussed this matter at length. We have nothing against our members using Discord. If we did, we would not allow any information about them at all. The problem is that members of the discord start calling each other out on the forums, complaining to us about the Discord owner, etc. There are many posts that we have had to edit or discard completely due to drama, inappropriate language, etc that you never saw because we moderated them.

We need for those who do participate in a Discord server to contact the owner to settle disputes rather than causing all kinds of drama on our forums. With the requirement that the owner be a part of these forums, you will be able to leave a message for them at any time.

I hope this answers your concerns.

~Kat

You frame this as if anyone on the team cares about Discord in the slightest. It's simply that Discord includes voice chat, which is very difficult to moderate in the setting that Disney's original games need. That being no visual, or audio, of swearing. Granted, the team had IRC for a while, but even then that was closed. The game purposely hides swear words. If you can figure out a way to do that with vocals, I'm sure the team would be happy to make a Discord officially.

Chris

I understand, I joined a discord server and someone called me a nasty name and people were talking about Doxing others. I left that discord, I don't like it when those people are doing that and don't have a moderating team to remove that kind of behavior. Thank you for making this because, people have been getting out of hand lately with the threads, and I understand I was one of them and I know it wasn't the right thing to do after my actions.

We've tried to be patient and permissive, but Discord threads have been a persistent headache for us to moderate. Lots of bickering and arguing; almost all of them got out of hand very quickly. We're not overly concerned with the appropriateness of Discord servers (so long as it's clear we're not associated with them). (We're also not the TLOPO team.) We just don't want to babysit these threads any more... so we tried to reach a compromise that still allows Discords to be promoted/linked on the forums but without all the trouble.
Yes, I know you guys are not the TLOPO team, but I'm sure you know what I meant. Whoops. :p

At least in my opinion, Johnny's post didn't seem to cover the actual issue at hand perfectly, which is why I wrote that statement. I didn't mean in any way that this new rule shouldn't be a thing in the first place. Thank you Davy and Kat for responding to my concerns.

You frame this as if anyone on the team cares about Discord in the slightest. It's simply that Discord includes voice chat, which is very difficult to moderate in the setting that Disney's original games need. That being no visual, or audio, of swearing. Granted, the team had IRC for a while, but even then that was closed. The game purposely hides swear words. If you can figure out a way to do that with vocals, I'm sure the team would be happy to make a Discord officially.

Chris
I feel like you're framing my statement as if I'm saying that the team has to like and enjoy Discord. In that case, I never said that the team should care about Discord and begin using it as an official source of communication. I just had a simple misunderstanding when reading the announcement post.

I feel like you're framing my statement as if I'm saying that the team has to like and enjoy Discord. In that case, I never said that the team should care about Discord and begin using it as an official source of communication. I just had a simple misunderstanding when reading the announcement post.
I was referring to the second statement you made, in which you kind of implied that you think the staff does not like Discord. I wasn't implying, either, that you meant that the team "has to like or enjoy discord" of course. Just that the implication felt like you wanted to drag an untrue statement into the mix! But I understand now, where you were coming from and that it was simply confusion about the OP.

(Oh, and, HIIIII Jumper!)

Chris

I was referring to the second statement you made, in which you kind of implied that you think the staff does not like Discord. I wasn't implying, either, that you meant that the team "has to like or enjoy discord" of course. Just that the implication felt like you wanted to drag an untrue statement into the mix! But I understand now, where you were coming from and that it was simply confusion about the OP.

(Oh, and, HIIIII Jumper!)

Chris
Yes yes, I understand where you're coming from as well. HIIIII Chris, long time no see.

As the OP stated, there is nothing generally "wrong" with talking about Discords; however most of the discussion that DID occur on the topic usually became very contentious.

I'd like to clarify, this is NOT based on the TLOPO staff "strongly disliking discords". Not sure where this notion came from, there is no basis for it.

I'd also like to clarify, the PF staff came to this decision completely on their own (after what I'm sure is careful consideration). They don't make these kind of decisions lightly, and do a good job weighing the pros and cons leading up to any changes like this one.

Chris
Discord's pretty flawed if there's no way to turn microphones off. I'm not a big Discord guy, but I'm certain there has to be an option for this. Also I am a major advocate for an official TLOPO Discord, as it'd be the best way to have appropriate conversations with other pirates 24/7.

Discord does have the option to mute microphones.
In which case, I see no reason why the team can't make an official TLOPO Discord. No inappropriate language, insults, death threats, etc., only one Discord to moderate instead of the seventeen or so that exist and it's a 24/7 chatroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back