Discussion of Discord Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I was getting sick of being invited to multiple Discord servers, and all the owners have been extremely dramatic when it comes to others making servers.

In which case, I see no reason why the team can't make an official TLOPO Discord. No inappropriate language, insults, death threats, etc., only one Discord to moderate instead of the seventeen or so that exist and it's a 24/7 chatroom!
I already mentioned: Language. The point is to have no swearing. Not swearing that "can be muted".

Chris

If anyone wants to add their discord link to the Unofficial Discord Directory, go to the link and follow the instructions. https://piratesforums.co/threads/unofficial-discord-directory.18405/ (this is the only thread that will be updated with discord links). If anyone has issues with a discord they can send a conversation directly to the discord owner, while keeping it off of public posts. The Forums Staff as a whole decided this is the best way to handle the situation. Thanks for understanding!

In which case, I see no reason why the team can't make an official TLOPO Discord. No inappropriate language, insults, death threats, etc., only one Discord to moderate instead of the seventeen or so that exist and it's a 24/7 chatroom!
It is hard to mange two things at once, they wanna focus on more in-game moderation. That's why they shut down the IRC, I mean they can probably make one, but just hire some people to moderate the discord like they have people moderating the forums. But, In my opinion I feel like it would be too much for like the TLOPO Staff members and stuff like that.

...Alternatively you may notify them via a personal conversation, but public discussions are no longer permitted.
Few questions that I do have:
  1. As a whole, what if rifts/fights occur on a forums member's profile? (Looking at it from a 'new member' perspective, wouldn't they be more inclined to utilize profile posts first as opposed to private messages given their own unfamiliarity with the forums)?
  2. Being that profile posts are within the public domain, shy of a member simply deleting a post what will this forums stance be in regards to Discord posts written publicly on someone's forums profile?
  3. Why is a single Discord thread even permitted at all given the thread itself still "encourages" future Discords to be made in lieu of TLOPO's and this forums stance towards Discords evident with the non-affiliation cause. (In short, if non-affiliation is an important distinction to be made why continue to encourage their growth regardless of a disclosure statement being made)?
  4. Given the forums moderation (staff) size and number has grown considerably, why not hold free speech to the highest standard and permit topics-of-discussion which require everyone's attention because when TLOPO itself is fully released...the level of drama is likely to only increase given everyone's experience and close proximity to one another - in game? (I mean no disrespect nor angst with this particular question).

I will attempt to address some of your concerns and hopefully those of others who are thinking the same as you:

Few questions that I do have:

As a whole, what if rifts/fights occur on a forums member's profile? (Looking at it from a 'new member' perspective, wouldn't they be more inclined to utilize
profile posts first as opposed to private messages given their own unfamiliarity with the forums)?

This is of course possible. If someone writes something you do not like on your profile post, you are welcome to delete it or report it at your discretion.

Being that profile posts are within the public domain, shy of a member simply deleting a post what will this forums stance be in regards to Discord posts written publicly on someone's forums profile?

We do not read every profile post. It is up to the members of the forums to report profile posts that break our policies.

Why is a single Discord thread even permitted at all given the thread itself still "encourages" future Discords to be made in lieu of TLOPO's and this forums stance towards Discords evident with the
non-affiliation cause. (In short, if non-affiliation is an important distinction to be made why continue to encourage their growth regardless of a disclosure statement being made)?

This was heavily discussed by Forums' staff. It was determined that it would be a service to our members to provide a list of available Discord servers as well as their owners so members know of them and have the option to join those which fit their specific interests. The threads as they existed prior to today were becoming a moderation nightmare for us and consuming a disproportionate amount of our limited time. Therefore it was decided to transfer the job of moderating the concerns of members of a particular Discord channel to the person who owns the channel rather than Forums staff.

Given the forums moderation (staff) size and number has grown considerably, why not hold free speech to the highest standard and permit topics-of-discussion which require
everyone's attention because when TLOPO itself is fully released...the level of drama is likely to only increase given everyone's experience and close proximity to one another - in game? (I mean no disrespect nor angst with this particular question).

These forums are privately owned. It was never stated or implied that any topic under the sun is ok to discuss here. I don't know if the level of drama will increase when the game reopens but if it does we are fluid enough in our policies to deal with things as they arise.

I hope this helps and I apologize if I misread or misinterpreted your questions.

~Kat.

Last edited:
As a whole, what if rifts/fights occur on a forums member's profile? (Looking at it from a 'new member' perspective, wouldn't they be more inclined to utilize profile posts first as opposed to private messages given their own unfamiliarity with the forums)?
Profile posts are considered public posts, and are moderated according to our rules.

Being that profile posts are within the public domain, shy of a member simply deleting a post what will this forums stance be in regards to Discord posts written publicly on someone's forums profile?
As with public posts, they will be removed and sent a warning (with no points, at least for first offenses) notifying them of our provision on Discord discussions.

Why is a single Discord thread even permitted at all given the thread itself still "encourages" future Discords to be made in lieu of TLOPO's and this forums stance towards Discords evident with the non-affiliation cause. (In short, if non-affiliation is an important distinction to be made why continue to encourage their growth regardless of a disclosure statement being made)?
People are going to create Discord servers whether we want them to or not, it's simply not up to us. As long as it's made clear we have no association, we're not really bothered by their existence. We opted for the approach outlined in the announcement because we believe it balances the community's desires with our own.

Given the forums moderation (staff) size and number has grown considerably, why not hold free speech to the highest standard and permit topics-of-discussion which require everyone's attention because when TLOPO itself is fully released...the level of drama is likely to only increase given everyone's experience and close proximity to one another - in game? (I mean no disrespect nor angst with this particular question).
I'm not quite sure I follow the question. We try to be as laissez-faire with speech as possible where it does not cause us undue stress or problems, but there are some topics of discussion we feel are better left elsewhere. Fortunately, the Internet is an awfully big place so surely people can find other outlets for most of these discussions.

Hey don't even worry about it guys, I just directly interrogated some discord owners. They are not fit to be on our family's discord list.

I see plenty of reason why they can't make an official discord server. They don't have the time to effectively watch over the server. It's a nice thought, but ultimately it will only lengthen the time for TLOPO to be at full release point. Even if there is an official server made, that by no means will stop people from making servers. Censoring every server just because they're unofficial would be an incredibly ill-advised move. There's plenty of ways for these servers to regulate themselves to be at TLOPO par standards, having run a discord server myself I know of plenty of ways it can be moderated and regulated easily. However due to the nature of the platform, anyone who has access to the internet and just below common sense can create a server. The best thing to do if unofficial servers get out of hand routinely due to misconduct or something along those lines is to report them to Discord. Discord *does* have rules too. I know for a fact that things like photographic gore does not fly very well, and it could cause trouble. It is best to tolerate and acknowledge their existence by doing this.

It is hard to mange two things at once, they wanna focus on more in-game moderation. That's why they shut down the IRC, I mean they can probably make one, but just hire some people to moderate the discord like they have people moderating the forums. But, In my opinion I feel like it would be too much for like the TLOPO Staff members and stuff like that.

Just to clarify once again, but TLOPO Staff and Pirates Forums Staff are two separate teams, we do not have people moderating the forums... they are their own people.

---

Great decision for the forums, I'm sure this will keep the drama down heavily with everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back