1. Hey, Guest! Pirates Forums is hosting a Meet and Greet for Halloween. Read more here!

Discussion of Discord Servers

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by Johnny Mak, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Scurvyfox

Mark Scurvyfox Armchair Moderator

Did I ever mention that I like housekeeping a lot? :hugs:

For people complaining about freedom of speech given here and there, all I could say is that for every rule, there's a rule-breaker. And now I do know that this doesn't make of any sense but please try to follow me for a moment. If some of you are under the impression that we're addicted to being party poopers then you're wrong. The only reason new rules - policies are being enforced is because unpleasant circumstances are popping up day after day. I know that I'm being quaint at this point as I've stated this numerous times but we're literaly doing our best to avoid drama in this place. This is not a battlearena. Is it?

Jokes aside, for as long as people find holes to create dispute there will always be a corresponding policy right around the corner.

Again, I'd like to extend this message by saying a big thank you to all of you out there. This place could have been nothing without your contributions and continued support.

{{JMak is a filthy rat - boo}}

2. Bort Greasegorb

Bort Greasegorb Notorious Pirate

Beg pardon? I said "no inappropriate language". I mean if there's no microphones, then I imagine there are chat filters that you can put it, ergo "no swearing".

3. Johnny Telltale

TLOPO Staff

It's simply not worth the moderation effort to have a discord, as we are focused on moderating the game. Nothing else to it, we're not having an official discord :p

Sparky Wonderwolf likes this.
  4. Bort Greasegorb

Bort Greasegorb Notorious Pirate

Oh, the whole game went to the back of my mind. I guess guild chat is good enough.

5. Demonic

Demonic Sea Legs

I honestly hadn't realized discord had been a thing. Only just got into it myself. been gone a while. Anyways, thanks for the info. Clears things up a bit.

Jeapers and Punkin Pie like this.
  6. Laseander

Laseander Honorable Pirate

This is a good decision. TBH hearing about Discord all of the time gets annoying.

Malia and Punkin Pie like this.
  7. Mathias

Mathias Wanted Pirate

That would require constant moderation from staff. It's just too much of an undertaking to moderate voice channels without a bot capable of translate speech to text in real time from multiple people.

Punkin Pie and Daniel Crow like this.
  8. GamingTrouble

GamingTrouble Sea Legs

Is there a link to join it

9. Ethan Francis

Ethan Francis Swashbuckler

What is a discord server lol

10. Davy McShot

Davy McShot Pirate Master

11. DanceWithTheDevil

DanceWithTheDevil Honorable Pirate

Ahoy! I can certainly understand the reasoning behind this, and have no qualms with it (not that that would matter :p). However, I do have a question or two.

I have been working on creating a Discord server recently for the community, I don't plan on releasing it yet as its intended purpose is for something that isn't currently working in game. This Discord isn't really a chat room meant for purely socializing, rather a way for the community to come together and find others with a common goal so they can help each other. But basically my question is, are we allowed to put out a thread inviting people to join it? Or do we simply ask to have it put into the directory and can do no more than that. The reason I ask is due to the nature of what this Discord is, we need people to be in it for it to serve its purpose, and if people don't know about it, it will fail.

12. Jack Cannonskull

Jack Cannonskull Pirate Lord

I really do not like discord, and I'm so tired of people saying "do you have discord?" The answer is no and I'm not getting one. In my guild you aren't even eligible for promotions unless your on the discord -.-

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  13. Mathias

Mathias Wanted Pirate

Here's the thing, as veterans or even officers, you are expected to raise issues of rules violation, either in the TLOPO TOS or those of our guild to higher ups, and it's not very easy to do so unless you are on our discord. Guild's are welcome to set their own rules as long as they are not in violation of the TLOPO TOS.

Greyvicee likes this.
  14. Jack Cannonskull

The thing is I shouldn't have to download discord to be promoted in this game TLOPO. That's just unfair. I understand it's not violating TLOPO TOS but it's an annoying rule. I'm in the guild to talk to/help other players of TLOPO not there to talk to others in discord. Don't you think it would be better if you could be promoted as a guild member in TLOPO and promoted as a guild member on discord in two different ways. The only rules that apply to both the discord and the game are the guild's rules. All you would be doing on discord is moderating the chat no?

15. Mathias

Mathias Wanted Pirate

A guild discord allows us to communicate more effectively even if none of us are in the game. It's also a lightweight application, and our style of moderation is fairly hands off, we've only had to step in and issue serious punishment just once when it came to a certain former member of Dark Archive. Whether or not you join our discord is up to you.

16. Jack Cannonskull

How does it help you all communicate more effectively? That does not make sense. Anything you should be able to say in discord you can say in TLOPO. Anything that you can say on the discord but can't say on TLOPO is probably something that I don't want to see.

17. Jack Cannonskull

btw I'm sorry if I'm coming off mean but this is a subject that really annoys me in our guild.

18. Mathias

Mathias Wanted Pirate

What if we aren't able to get in the game? Either because we're away, power's out, internet died, or other reasons? Furthermore anything not on the game's whitelist cannot be said in game. And what about voice? Chat in the game is needed, but not too convenient to use since it means forfeiting control for the time it takes to type, and this prove deadly when surrounded by high level enemies and ships. Why bother typing "get on repair ye scurvy dogs" when I can just say it in a voice channel?

19. Jack Cannonskull

I have said before that when I am not playing the game that probably means that I don't want to chat with my guild. Real life is more important then the video game so I wouldn't really talk to the guild unless I am in game which happens to be quite a bit. On the voice part, not everyone wants other pirates to hear their voice. Can't this just remain a game where we are all pirates? If I'm using a voice chat I'm not going to say "Get on deck ye scurvy dogs!" I'm going to say "Someone get on the ship please." It kind of defeats the purpose of being a pirate.

We should probably take this to a PM but I'll let you decide.

20. Ozan

Ozan Pirate

I definitely agree with this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.