Discussion Discussion Thread: The Old Islands!

I do wonder, what is the point of having two of the same island for three different islands in the game?
What a perfect way to confuse new players I must say, always gotta treat the "veterans" and the elitists I guess.
Adding these islands to the game is downright lazy and they have no place in this "remake of POTCO as it was when it closed down in 2013" (if you can even call it that) The tlopo developers and staff have lost sight of their original goal.
By all means make streams showcasing these islands like you used to do, but they don't belong in this game as they add nothing,
The only thing that's the same is the name maybe they could change the names of the old islands, this game isn't just a potco remake it's basically a remake/improving original content and adding onto the original game.

The only thing that's the same is the name maybe they could change the names of the old islands, this game isn't just a potco remake it's basically a remake/improving original content and adding onto the original game.
And all the NPC's, buildings, woods, bosses, etc. Now maybe they can get away with it like how they recycled old cursed caverns into what is now forsaken shallows, or how 3 of the 4 islands that @Roger-Daniel mentioned tlopo are adding were all unreleased islands that disney made and modeled back before the game even got close to closing.

the dev insider clearly states that no decision has been made, and that tlopo staff would like to hear the communities ideas on how these islands could be used. the assets for the islands are ready, that doesn't mean you'll see them in game tomorrow.

also

a) TLOPO wouldn't introduce something as major as this to the game without making sure the community is fine with it
b) the islands wouldn't necessarily be "port royal/tortuga/pdf 2". they can be turned into PvP maps/whatever interesting ideas players might have

the dev insider clearly states that no decision has been made, and that tlopo staff would like to hear the communities ideas on how these islands could be used. the assets for the islands are ready, that doesn't mean you'll see them in game tomorrow.

also

a) TLOPO wouldn't introduce something as major as this to the game without making sure the community is fine with it
b) the islands wouldn't necessarily be "port royal/tortuga/pdf 2". they can be turned into PvP maps/whatever interesting ideas players might have
Oh, that's what you meant. I would agree with you but this insider wasn't made with the question of "should it be added" rather it was made for "how it should be added"
I do think however that the devs have bitten off more that they can chew with the promise of 7 new islands, a whole new story quest, a hint at a whole new line of ships being added, and more all while having the game in it's current (janky) state and despite it being in beta for over 2 years it doesn't have things like cannon defense or the queen anne's revenge but is getting rather large content updates. The reason I am saying this is I've been here almost since another remake merged with TLOPO and i've seen this kind of stuff happen within it before. Idk, maybe i'm just being pessimistic because i'm burnt out for being here so long.
I think I should sit a little bit further back in the community and watch events unfold for now

Last edited:
Oh, that's what you meant. I would agree with you but this insider wasn't made with the question of "should it be added" rather it was made for "how it should be added"
I do think however that the devs have bitten off more that they can chew with the promise of 7 new islands, a whole new story quest, a hint at a whole new line of ships being added, and more all while having the game in it's current (janky) state and despite it being in beta for over 2 years it doesn't have things like cannon defense or the queen anne's revenge but is getting rather large content updates. The reason I am saying this along with the reason I may seem so cynical is I've been here almost since another remake merged with TLOPO and i've seen this kind of stuff happen within it before. Idk, maybe i'm just being pessimistic because i'm burnt out for being here so long.
I think I should sit a little bit further back in the community and watch events unfold for now

I can assure you that the devs haven’t bitten off more than they can chew. They all have the required abilities and technical prowess to make things work. I’d say the only limiting factor is time, cause everyone’s busy with their everyday lives.

TLOPO has been relatively transparent with the community about its future, but it appears that some of its decisions might be confusing to the community. Keep in mind: you don’t get to see everything going on behind the scenes.

I understand that your pessimism/cynicality comes from a good place, and that you only want to see the game progress. Unfortunately, it takes time – but I’d like to reassure you by saying that there’s lots of good stuff ahead so stick around or just keep an eye out!

I can assure you that the devs haven’t bitten off more than they can chew. They all have the required abilities and technical prowess to make things work. I’d say the only limiting factor is time, cause everyone’s busy with their everyday lives.

TLOPO has been relatively transparent with the community about its future, but it appears that some of its decisions might be confusing to the community. Keep in mind: you don’t get to see everything going on behind the scenes.

I understand that your pessimism/cynicality comes from a good place, and that you only want to see the game progress. Unfortunately, it takes time – but I’d like to reassure you by saying that there’s lots of good stuff ahead so stick around or just keep an eye out!
Nobody is doubting the capability of TLOPO (technically). I also appreciate too the point made about time. TIME itself is important to keep in mind. Why? Because there are people waiting to see the very best TLOPO has to offer and to achieve. Unfortunately, TIME itself grows too upon people and I just "feel" that if TLOPO continues to grow and expand too far out of the spectrum declared within it's own mission statement TLOPO may suffer.

I don't have any place really to give a thumbs up or a thumbs down, on this. Rather instead, I feel compelled to share what I foresee and that is:
  • A move in this direction risks polarizing people further already from "how things now are"
  • A move in this direction ask more patience from a community that has been incredibly patient already
  • A move in this direction counters TLOPO's stance against projects infringing upon other project's achievements (if there is more than 'one' project guilty of infringing upon TLOPO how is the public to know about this if no p.s.a. is declared)
Anyway, thank you mates for reading.

A move in this direction ask more patience from a community that has been incredibly patient already

Like it’s been said numerous times, there are separate departments within the team. One handles future content while the other works on fixing bugs and adding back features that were in POTCO.

I just "feel" that if TLOPO continues to grow and expand too far out of the spectrum declared within it's own mission statement TLOPO may suffer.

I’m not quite sure what mission statement you’re referring to. Our goal has been to add in all the features that were present in 2013 and also making revisions/adding features. This doesn’t stray from that. It’s not as if this feature is actively being worked on by everyone and is taking away from Cannon Defense for example. We released a YouTube video showing Cannon Defense months ago (it’s made A LOT of progress since then) as well as a Developer Insider noting that it’s on the way.

There’s this assumption that the old islands are priority one which isn’t true. We just figured it would be nice to include the community on this and look at ideas and consider them.

A move in this direction counters TLOPO's stance against projects infringing upon other project's achievements (if there is more than 'one' project guilty of infringing upon TLOPO how is the public to know about this if no p.s.a. is declared)

It isn’t really infringing on another project’s achievements. We already said these wouldn’t be the *main* islands. An example would be using them as a PvP map. The other projects you’re referring to are using the 2008 islands as the only islands so there’s still quite a difference between the two.

Last edited:
Nobody is doubting the capability of TLOPO (technically). I also appreciate too the point made about time. TIME itself is important to keep in mind. Why? Because there are people waiting to see the very best TLOPO has to offer and to achieve. Unfortunately, TIME itself grows too upon people and I just "feel" that if TLOPO continues to grow and expand too far out of the spectrum declared within it's own mission statement TLOPO may suffer.

I don't have any place really to give a thumbs up or a thumbs down, on this. Rather instead, I feel compelled to share what I foresee and that is:
  • A move in this direction risks polarizing people further already from "how things now are"
  • A move in this direction ask more patience from a community that has been incredibly patient already
  • A move in this direction counters TLOPO's stance against projects infringing upon other project's achievements (if there is more than 'one' project guilty of infringing upon TLOPO how is the public to know about this if no p.s.a. is declared)
Anyway, thank you mates for reading.

• Not sure how we can fix your "feelings". TLOPO will not go in any direction that is detrimental to the game or community.
  • Nothing we can do about the community's patience. People will simply have to wait.
  • Your third point is excruciatingly false. The way I see it, the only notable achievements so far (applies to all remakes) have been TLOPO's.
We're aware of the community's patience, and that is something we're thankful for. However we do not plan on releasing rushed or poor quality content - and we're definitely not willing to drop out of school, leave our jobs, or put this game ahead of our lives. The level of entitlement you exhibit is concerning to say the least. Not only concerning but also quite offensive to the team of individuals who literally have nothing to gain from sacrificing hours upon hours of their lives to make sure our small community is happy.

• Not sure how we can fix your "feelings". TLOPO will not go in any direction that is detrimental to the game or community.
I certainly believe that you would not intentionally go in any direction that is detrimental to the community, but to say that you won't or somehow can't is unrealistic. You are human beings and capable of making mistakes. I wont risk changing the direction of this thread with observations of times I think you have made very detrimental decisions for the community, but to believe you can't is the pride that go'eth before the fall. You are not infallible, but this statement quoted above would make people think that you think you are.
    • Nothing we can do about the community's patience. People will simply have to wait.
    • Your third point is excruciatingly false. The way I see it, the only notable achievements so far (applies to all remakes) have been TLOPO's.
We're aware of the community's patience, and that is something we're thankful for. However we do not plan on releasing rushed or poor quality content - and we're definitely not willing to drop out of school, leave our jobs, or put this game ahead of our lives. The level of entitlement you exhibit is concerning to say the least. Not only concerning but also quite offensive to the team of individuals who literally have nothing to gain from sacrificing hours upon hours of their lives to make sure our small community is happy.

I understand your frustration. I write a pencil and paper role play game for my kids based on the POTC mythos. When they seem to want me to work and do no work themselves on the project it does get me riled up.

Just this morning I vented about it to my son. Was I right to be upset that he was entitled and expected me to do all the work? yes I was as you are here.

Did I feel good about it after? no I wish I had it to do over again.

For what it is worth I think the idea of adding the old islands is great and could be done by having people go through a tunnel from one to another possibly or clicking which one they want to go to when they port or teleport there

I agree with all of this

Our goal has been to add in all the features that were present in 2013 and then making revisions/adding features. This doesn’t stray from that.

Like it’s been said numerous times, there are separate departments within the team. One handles future content while the other works on fixing bugs and adding back features that were in POTCO.

You are contradicting yourself. In the first you stated that the goals was to add everything that **was** in 2013, but then state there are two teams. Maybe the new content "team" needs to help the other one.. cause seems like they really need all the help they can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Islands where ok but Disney updated them to be better for a reason , Even though I liked the Old PDF some what better ! I believe If they're not broke don't fix them !!

I am aganist wasting the team's time to add these. I would like the focus to be on needs to be still fixed/add and the new islands and other future content that was talked bout before this idea.
The old Islands where ok but Disney updated them to be better for a reason , Even though I liked the Old PDF some what better ! I believe If they're not broke don't fix them !!
Just curious about what you think of this then: https://piratesforums.co/threads/developer-insider-the-old-islands.28044/#post-367520

I actually kind of like that idea. Might actually do that quest with my bf @Angel Pal :)
That would be unique !
Thank you. As I was reading all of your issues with the reimplementation of the old islands, I thought that my idea would work well to address those ideas, because they still allow for the story to move forward (which is ironic because you'd be traveling backwards in time lol).

Back