Discussions on Pirates Online Rewritten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Naturally, many of you are interested in the project Pirates Online Rewritten, which seeks to build a private server for POTCO. While the project has had its bumps, what comes of it remains to be seen. I wish the project luck, and have been following some interesting developments over the past couple of months that make me hopeful for the future.

Unfortunately, the topic has brought lots of controversy and tension here because people tend to have very strong opinions about it. Initially I wished to give people an opportunity to share their thoughts without being too trigger-happy on the 'Close Thread' button, but in hindsight this was actually pretty foolish.

The persistence of drama-(and-headache)-inducing posts has fostered a toxic atmosphere that makes the forums an unpleasant place to be.

It is quite heartbreaking to see the community that once filled me and everyone around it with positive energy turn into a bunch of cynical bickering.

Starting now, we ask that all another remake discussion be taken to either Personal Conversations, or better yet another remake's official forums @ http://www.pirates-online-rewrittenforums.com

We may revise this policy in the future but for now it has been proven time and time again that these topics only go in one direction.

Thanks everyone and please get in touch if you have any concerns regarding our policies or staff.

TL;DR: another remake Discussion? --> another remake Forums

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! Hope all are well and enjoying 2015 :)

I wanted to let everyone know my opinion on another remake, or any remake of POTCO. I know I have been quiet, as I have been sitting back and watching (reading) all that has been going on. It seems there are lots of good ideas out there for remakes, or emulators, or whatever one might want to call them. I wish just one group of dedicated people would get together, and WORK together to make just one remake. They did it for VMK, so I know that it is possible. Have you ever heard the saying 'too many cooks in the kitchen'? This is what all of this is to me.

With that being said, I do not mind these projects having discussions here. I think that is great, as it should be centralized. What I do not like is all the drama that seems to ensue from some of these discussions. I think a lot of the issues come from all of these other forums that are out there. We, the one and only original Pirates Forums; aka The Company (yes, I am biased), have been here for years, and are established. We have rules that we enforce and our members adhere to them. The newer forums aren't up to par just yet. Just because one is a moderator on the new forums does not mean they would have the caliber to be a moderator here. I am not saying they aren't good or aren't qualified... But it takes time to prepare and train someone to do what our mods do. We do not make someone a mod just because they ask politely. They have to earn it. When the time comes around for promotions, Davy and I take our time (usually weeks) to promote responsible members. Members say things on the other forums, and then come here and do the same thing. We warn them for not following our rules, and they get upset about it and complain that they can do this on the other forums. Again, we are not the other forums.

My one last thought before I am finished... I personally do not think there would be issues with some of these projects if they didn't have forums. You don't put the cart before the horse. I know my opinion isn't worth much, but there seems to be a lot of drama with the other forums that has nothing to do with the game remake. In the games I have watched being made (Archage, TTR, and ESO for example), they had one page that would list updates to keep people informed. Once the game was released, then they opened the forums. Why have forums when the game isn't even live? I know anyone could open forums for these projects, and maybe that is why the projects make their own forums. But... Think about it... If there were no forums, just an info page, all of the people that have to moderate the forums could actually spend their time on the actual project.

I know I might not know the whole story behind every remake, and more than likely I do not, but these are my opinions and thoughts.

aka...

:2 cents:

Hey again everyone!

Some "cool down" time has passed, and another remake has merged with another project, TLOPO. Thus far, TLOPO discussions have remained mostly mild-tempered.

As such, the ban on another remake discussion is now lifted.

Please keep in mind that all discussions, regardless of topic, will be moderated in accordance with our Terms and Rules. Thoughtful and polite critiques are welcome, name-calling and emotionally-driven bickering are not. Try to focus criticisms on ideas, and not other people.

As always, if you feel anybody is over the line, hit the 'Report' button on their post and we will review it. If you feel like a moderator didn't handle a situation correctly, start a conversation with me.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back