Disney conspiracy theory (unverified/not proven)

An agreeable theory & conclusion?

• Aye

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
S

Shamus The Brute

Disclaimer: The following original post (or OP) comes from myself, someone highly familiar with Disney/what is important to Disney to where I possess little to no knowledge about tech/computer "know how." The theory described below, therefore, remains my own and is not intended to facilitate fear nor cause doubt nor hysteria towards the popular need for past Disney works to become recovered and then remade.

~ TIME is a commonality people share. Ye can either waste it or you can use it to your own advantage. Either way and in the end, we are ultimately slaves to it for TIME itself cannot be conquered.

Important to people's time, there exists a conspiracy theory I am not sure too many people have ever considered before nor bothered to ask. That theory itself beckons this thought: "Could POTCO's (and other shuttered Disney 'virtual world' games) August 2013 and post-mortem code been altered in a way by Disney to serve potential purposes for them?" :confused: Let's examine a few of these purposes below (permitting others an opportunity to list their own as well, to such a thread).

DISNEY IS NOT NAIVE:

1. The August 20th, 2013 closure announcement Disney had for POTCO, TTO, and Pixie Hollows communities gave TIME for everyone to enjoy certain "special" aspects of game-play until the cut-off date of September 19th, 2013. This time-line was uniform and across-the-board for each of the three, virtual world games. For more information about POTCO's announcement, please read here.
  2. For especially both TTO and POTCO, the modification/hacking of in-game code was rampant. Disney knew this and in POTCO's case, a formal case-study had even exposed the problem extremely early in POTCO's life. For more information, please read further here.
  3. More so with POTCO than TTO, a formal (adult lead) petition captured the desire for the community itself to be saved prior to the game's shut-down. The petition informed over 60 Disney people of such a need and some insight was ultimately gained in response to such an effort. For more information, please read further here.
  4. On account of the above ^ shared, there remained enough "motive" and understanding for Disney to utilize the TIME they had - between August 20th and September 19th - to modify game code for possibly all three games to assure the ultimate threat eventually facing Disney (post-game closure) could be kept to a minimum. The modifications could have involved something added or something taken away to help assist them in overall damage control. *The mere fact that Disney had to already adjust each game's coding to provide the available (special) changes per closure announcement equates to the fact that Disney had to tinker with things anyway between Aug. 20 and Sept. 19, 2013. In retrospect, it's not far stretched to imagine that Disney further changed the basic code which would then only take effect beginning Sept. 20 and thereafter.
DISNEY RELINQUISHES NOTHING WITHOUT GOOD PURPOSE/GOOD REASON:
  1. Disney values coding/code learning and it values it so much that periodically and throughout the year Disney will promote something specific on the internet which aligns with the Disney interest towards such "educational purposes" for tech./computer/future innovation purposes. For more information, please read a random note found here.
  2. Disney is all about doing things which retains it's brand loyalty. From Mickie Mouse, to ABC network, to ESPN, Disney understands that once they can reel you in on a specific brand of theirs (in our case, the POTC brand) they will capitalize on that interest shown and will use it to their full advantage. Disney is in the business of tweaking someone's interest to where, in the end, your loyalty to them via the brand you both enjoy and like permits them an opportunity to use that interest towards other areas of their business. With the POTC brand, the game itself we understand as POTCO is viewed as a derivative off-shoot of other main-streams interests of the POTC brand.
  3. On account of the above ^ shared, Disney could very well be permitting things to occur because of very real reasons...for them/for their interests.
A GAME REMAKE (less 'full-release') SERVES DISNEY'S INTERESTS WELL:
  1. Disney kills two-birds-with-one-stone if it permits a game remake to achieve both success and viability to a certain point. In alignment with the theory that Disney has modified in-game (original) code to a point to where it's discovery is either difficult or impossible to detect, closed/abandoned Disney games could very well satisfy not only ex-gaming players and communities but they would also satisfy Disney's desire to retain loyalty towards a specific brand to the point to where they hope future dollars spent on such loyalty would not become a total and complete loss.
  2. Disney remains in compliance with it's code/code-learning culture, marketing, and innovation programs
  3. Disney remains in compliance (as a lot of people have told me) towards it's "plausible deniability" approach
MY CONCLUSION:
  1. POTCO can be remade
  2. POTCO can be remade but only to a certain, capable point (not reflective upon other people's capacity but via Disney's action taken against the code)
  3. POTCO can be remade - fully - only if dialogue occurs. With dialogue not taken seriously nor carefully crafted, no official statement nor declaration will ever show the ex-POTCO community's interest for future Disney leadership/important decision-makers
EVERYONE'S THOUGHTS? :confused: Please share below if you have TIME. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually very interested in seeing what happens... In the past, Disney forced the creation of laws to prevent things from happening, a major example being the Sonny Bono Act, or the Mickey Mouse Law... Of course, this was with copyrights.

On the other hand, I do agree with your conclusions. The fact that Disney kept updating the game until the very end is rather strange. Usually, when a game announces it's shut down, it will stop development. My thought is, was Disney ushering a new age for Pirates Online? If so, is this split development between two games, what they imagined? And most importantly, will they intervene?

As far as Disney goes, they have been lethal about copyright in the past. But, at the same time, a private studio working non-profit means more profit and publicity to the POTC project, giving Disney more money.

**EDIT** Back to my point about Disney being lethal with copyrights. The fact that they already haven't intervened says something. Either they are allowing, and want TLOPO to prosper, waiting till the precise moment to pounce, or they simply don't care enough to shut down the game.

I suppose only time can tell.

Plausible deniability is a word which is thrown around by many people I have spoken with, within the community. This theory assumes this is what accounts for Disney's leniency thus far. I admit, it makes sense (as the justification and reasoning behind it claims Disney would not want to 'officially' be responsible for a remake occurring or if some unfortunate accident/incident did affect someone). However, I argue that Disney would be in a position far worse if they supported such deniability. The reason being, interest towards remakes have already been publicly expressed to them for purpose of gaining their response. (Big-time news media had gone out of their way to assure Disney and everyone knows about the loss sustained and interest shown. Therefore, if someone were to become hurt [or worse] on account of a remake occurring, Disney would be burnt to the stake by mass media for showing such leniency and/or deniability unofficially).

Hence, I feel there is
a lot more to Disney's decision given their fierce pursuit towards the protection of their company image.

Shamus my friend, as always I respect you and your views. You've done a lot of research over the years and it hasn't gone unappreciated. I just want to say that conspiracy theories are exactly what they are. A theory that can instill fear and doubt in some folks or just plain confusion. One theory can lead to another and before you know it, it could corrode a community.

I'm not denying you have a lot of points, but I think it's possible that Disney is much too busy to be concerned about Tlopo and they can only stand to gain money by sales of any Potco related goods at no expense to them.

I hope folks enjoy what they're doing and not be worried about what if's and things we can't control. ;)

Shamus my friend, as always I respect you and your views. You've done a lot of research over the years and it hasn't gone unappreciated. I just want to say that conspiracy theories are exactly what they are. A theory that can instill fear and doubt in some folks or just plain confusion. One theory can lead to another and before you know it, it could corrode a community.

I'm not denying you have a lot of points, but I think it's possible that Disney is much too busy to be concerned about Tlopo and they can only stand to gain money by sales of any Potco related goods at no expense to them.

I hope folks enjoy what they're doing and not be worried about what if's and things we can't control. ;)
I just hope we don't cause panic with conspiracy theories. :p

(I'm sorry, my life is simply guided by movies and conspiracies. xD)

*It's very important to read the Disclaimer I included within OP...

I respect your decision. Also, a person with views like me shouldn't be ousted/or made to keep silent in feeling compelled to at least speak about such things. In fact, I would argue these same "what if's" compelled you to approach me on my profile here about such concerns.

About things being out of everyone's control; I disagree. The only thing limiting people is both their imagination and their passion to assure this community does endure. If we choose to not even fight for either one of those things, we're just pacifying our interest with the hope that things will only work out in the end.

Aye, I care too much for everyone here to just sit quietly and to sit still (see siggy below)...

I just hope we don't cause panic with conspiracy theories. :p

(I'm sorry, my life is simply guided by movies and conspiracies. xD)
Agreed... (my life revolves around video games, which in itself are conspiracy to brainwash the young!) Jk...

Notice that consPIRACY... had piracy in it...? Illuminati confirmed.

Edit- It was only a matter of time before someone noticed...

About things being out of everyone's control; I disagree.
I'm not sure what kind of control anyone has in this case. I'm not sure what you suggest people do. I wouldn't want to poke a stick at Disney and try to make them give us their blessings on the game, that would most likely backfire.

I'm sorry if you thought I tried to silence you, that wasn't the case. I just believe Disney has too much going on to even care about us or Tlopo. I didn't want anyone to be alarmed or worried.

I learned from playing skyrim, to never poke a sleeping bear... So I think we should just wait and see... And not poke one of the largest bears in the entertainment industry...

4038169_maxresdefault_jpega7a20d23424d1f4e3dd0c48c741188d6

*illuminati theme music insensifies*

I learned from playing skyrim, to never poke a sleeping bear... So I think we should just wait and see... And not poke one of the largest bears in the entertainment industry...
True Story (it actually happened to me):

I have actually been chased in my real-life by a bear (imagine that). Despite the bear itself being more or less a juvenile/teenager, I wasn't about to stick around to judge it's HAIRY size nor the age of it's teeth. All I can tell you is, I was walking with a group of people and...because I ran...I left everyone else behind me to which to this day I do regret (mostly because if that bear actually tried to maul someone I wouldn't have been around to prevent nor deter that mauling). It's a decision I made to which I regret despite the fact that everything had worked-out for everyone. There had been no mauling nor an attack. However, reflecting back to that moment in my mind logic reminds me that the odds of a good mauling was only 50% as strong as 50% odds of it not happening. Now, if some teeth would have sunk in and a mauling would have occurred - with myself staying rather than running - how wonderful it would have been to my own conscience :happy: that I had sacrificed my own safety for the well-being/safety of another.

*Running away from a bear is the ONE thing they tell you never to do because ultimately you're going to provoke that bear into thinking you are something when you are not (i.e., hunt-able food)! In retrospect, it matters not the size of the bear. If you run....you're taking a chance of being on that bear's menu.

I don't doubt that Disney watches our progress as we use their ideas to remake their game, but what they'll do if they do anything at all, only Disney knows. But it seems to be a common theme with them and their MMO's it can't be just a coincidence that 4 of their decent to prosperous games have shut down (that tinkerbell game, Toontown, Club penguin, POTCO). Don't forget the POTC game that looked spectacular but never came out (Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the darned).

Last edited:
I don't doubt that Disney watches our progress as we use their ideas to remake their game, but what they'll do if they do anything at all, only Disney knows. But it seems to be a common theme with them and their MMO's it can't be just a coincidence that 4 of their decent to prosperous games have shut down (that tinkerbell game, Toontown, Club penguin, POTCO). Don't forget the POTC game that looked spectacular but never came out (Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the darned).
I get this uncomfortable feeling that a majority of a lot of people view my stance to not play on account that I am devoted to Disney/have full support and respect for what they've done. In truth, this is far from the truth and I rather not waste everyone's time explaining "why" to where nobody bothers to listen and show support to what is said.

I think what really ticks me off is that Disney had prior knowledge of what everyone liked and what everyone wanted and yet they chose to push that aside to do what they wanted. In hindsight, they have that right but they also shouldn't be surprised to find out that people like me are extremely disappointed in them.:mad: (When dollas and bling-like trends are chosen over the interests of an established fan-base, that is when you know a company doesn't have your back but instead would rather lead you away from something you do happen to enjoy towards something else they feel you should enjoy instead).

Call me crazy...I would like to attempt to hold them accountable for the continuation of such mistake (with proper blessing). Kudos to the people whom read this and attribute a "like."

Disney's Armada game should have never been canceled prior to it's release/traded for a game which didn't even pan out as "they hoped" it would (proving my point ^ above, I feel).

I'm just going to add to this... The new villain in the 5th POTC movie seems awfully inspired by Jolly Roger. Almost as if Disney is compensating for something.

Don't quote me on that.

Back