Do others think that broadsides are missing more or is it just me?

Started playing this game in July of 2016 so I'm still here and playing regularly. But oh my Lord, the accuracy of broadsides, to me, keeps diminishing. You have to have the right angle or you miss. You may be right up side an enemy... and you miss. You circle around again and try again ... and miss. All the while their angles and broadsides hit your ship and cause damage. There are actual times when you have a wide open shot and ...BOOM... broadsides miss. On a ship you've been circling around and know you're there. So... WHATS the DEAL, LUCILE?

LOL, there's a thread from about a year or so ago, outlining all of the ways broadsides miss their mark.

Sailing has major issues with broadsides , respawns , flagships , Enemy Galleons and Sloops having Frontal cannons . Never seen any of this in Potco , so I doubt it would be Permanent

Most of the time broadsides work correctly but it is common for them to malfunction, sounds like a contradiction doesn't it? There are several malfunctions I've noticed: backfires, slow motion and short ranged, and the classic untargeted shotgun spread even though the target was close and within your firing arc. I hope these are all on the developers list to fix but as bugs go I see them as minor and low priority. I think most people are just not good at targeting and then blame it on bugs and there are bugs for sure but to me they are a minor inconvenience.

When you fire a broadside, it calculates where the targeted ship will be in the future, based on that ship's velocity at that exact moment. It does not account for turns. This means if the targeted ship makes a hard turn, or speeds up (regular ship being aggro'd, or hunters taking off after someone, for example) the broadside will miss. Additionally, broadsides will not lock on if the intended target is too close to your own ship.

There are some times when it is better to intentionally fire a broadside that's not locked on to anything. If I see a hunter about to fly by me, I fire just beforehand, so that it won't lock on. Usually, the shotgun spread will result in at least one hit.

Some tips:
-don't fire a broadside if a hunter is about to "take off"
-for regular ships, fire a broadsides such that it hits before the ship aggros, or after
-don't fire at ships making hard turns (except for ships of the line, because they are so big it will likely hit something)
-be careful of your aim when firing broadsides at close range

When you fire a broadside, it calculates where the targeted ship will be in the future, based on that ship's velocity at that exact moment. It does not account for turns. This means if the targeted ship makes a hard turn, or speeds up (regular ship being aggro'd, or hunters taking off after someone, for example) the broadside will miss. Additionally, broadsides will not lock on if the intended target is too close to your own ship.

There are some times when it is better to intentionally fire a broadside that's not locked on to anything. If I see a hunter about to fly by me, I fire just beforehand, so that it won't lock on. Usually, the shotgun spread will result in at least one hit.

Some tips:
-don't fire a broadside if a hunter is about to "take off"
-for regular ships, fire a broadsides such that it hits before the ship aggros, or after
-don't fire at ships making hard turns (except for ships of the line, because they are so big it will likely hit something)
-be careful of your aim when firing broadsides at close range
Can you explain what you mean by 'lock on?' And why it even needs to lock on if the ship is right next to you. They, specially corsairs have no problem trashing your ship at close range.

Started playing this game in July of 2016 so I'm still here and playing regularly. But oh my Lord, the accuracy of broadsides, to me, keeps diminishing. You have to have the right angle or you miss. You may be right up side an enemy... and you miss. You circle around again and try again ... and miss. All the while their angles and broadsides hit your ship and cause damage. There are actual times when you have a wide open shot and ...BOOM... broadsides miss. On a ship you've been circling around and know you're there. So... WHATS the DEAL, LUCILE?
I've noticed broadsides going backwards at a 70 degree angle at some ship I didn't even see. Also, little off topic but semi related. Did you notice your cannonballs when using your single cannon yourself are lamer per distance. I distinctly noticed this in the last few weeks at least.

Can you explain what you mean by 'lock on?' And why it even needs to lock on if the ship is right next to you. They, specially corsairs have no problem trashing your ship at close range.

"Lock on" meaning if the broadside has targeted a ship. When it's not locked on, the broadside is more like a shotgun blast.

A ship very close to you is not necessarily right next to you. If the ship is directly alongside you, then yes, it may not matter so much if it locks or not. However, in other cases where a ship is very close but not exactly alongside you (mostly with hunters), an untargeted broadside won't hit much.

I can sit Still and still have them go aray ! lol , I love it when they shoot out the aft towards another ship further away ! lol

I never thought the targeting had changed when this original thread was posted but now, during the anniversary event, my broadsides did seem to be off for some reason, was it me or the game?

All you do to hit moving ships is to wait until the ships come close to you and then DO NOT turn your ship at all just let it sail straight and the broadsides will hit them. I always used to turn while my broadsides were moving towards the target and it would miss most of the time, also don't use your broadsides right after you use full sail or ramming speed your broadsides will scatter all over the place.

All I know is that I've adapted to it. It might not be perfect and it might make me laugh at it a lot, but it's working.
You have to employ some strategy and tricks to make it happen. OGDO posted one such trick above.

What gets me is when your sailing and the enemy ship is next to you and you fire the "broadside" thats supposed to come out the "side" comes out the back end of your ship completely missing the enemy ship..

All I know is that I've adapted to it. It might not be perfect and it might make me laugh at it a lot, but it's working.
You have to employ some strategy and tricks to make it happen. OGDO posted one such trick above.
If TLOPO devs have the opportunity and/or the means, now is the time for such things to be resolved - as you know (as opposed to later). Therefore, is there anything that can be done on the player-based side to “detective-vise” and solve the issue which hasn’t been done already? :confused:
What gets me is when your sailing and the enemy ship is next to you and you fire the "broadside" thats supposed to come out the "side" comes out the back end of your ship completely missing the enemy ship..
From reading this thread, broadside cannon shots coming from a ship’s posterior “poop deck” more or less (as a ‘descriptive’ example) seems to be a trend. Have you or other ship Captains tried to determine which level/type of ENEMY ships, or specific islands for that matter, create broadsides going all array?

*If it were me, I would jot down all sorts of notes while shooting broadsides (while sailing) for purpose of looking back on said notes to determine a common pattern or trend!

For sailing issues such as this to ultimately get fixed, much effort/creativity/thinking outside-the-box is going to have to occur_player-side for TLOPO devs to pinpoint why broadsides are apparently drunk on thee RUM!

Last edited by a moderator:
The infamous backfire shot needs fixing, other than that I think broadsides are fine. The scattershot is due to poor aim on the captain's part and is a good feature of the game.

All you do to hit moving ships is to wait until the ships come close to you and then DO NOT turn your ship at all just let it sail straight and the broadsides will hit them. I always used to turn while my broadsides were moving towards the target and it would miss most of the time, also don't use your broadsides right after you use full sail or ramming speed your broadsides will scatter all over the place.
Good point. I tend to sail from a distant viewpoint camera angle (zoomed out) to see as much as possible, I do this with WOW too for some reason. But anyways, I always hit consistently by straightening out for just a few seconds and run straight line while a ship approaches. Firing off while still straight almost always scores no matter what the other ship is doing if I time them to my side angle. Firing while any movement on my part is usually less than optimal. I think this is actually more realistic this way. Well, except the weird occasional angle shot that no cannon on your ship can actually perform.

Since I just blithely and cluelessly sail and have no idea what certain ammo should be doing and if they are performing like they are supposed to, my observations should be taken with a grain of parrot poop. But the snap straight technique works well with me.

If TLOPO devs have the opportunity and/or the means, now is the time for such things to be resolved - as you know (as opposed to later). Therefore, is there anything that can be done on the player-based side to “detective-vise” and solve the issue which hasn’t been done already? :confused:

From reading this thread, broadside cannon shots coming from a ship’s posterior “poop deck” more or less (as a ‘descriptive’ example) seems to be a trend. Have you or other ship Captains tried to determine which level/type of ENEMY ships, or specific islands for that matter, create broadsides going all array?

*If it were me, I would jot down all sorts of notes while shooting broadsides (while sailing) for purpose of looking back on said notes to determine a common pattern or trend!

For sailing issues such as this to ultimately get fixed, much effort/creativity/thinking outside-the-box is going to have to occur_player-side for TLOPO devs to pinpoint why broadsides are apparently drunk on thee RUM!
For me it usually only occurs when im fighting a hunter or warship.. Usually happens around Padres towards Menta.

Back