Question Do you believe loot drops are fair?

Are loot drops fair? [Legendaries and such]

• Total voters
I, personally, hate luck based things. Not just salty, this includes board games that rely heavily on the dice. The way I would change it, I believe, most would not like at all. If there could be some kind of tipping point for those who have gone an unfairly (thousands of kills on one boss) without a drop, rates may increase, I would like that a lot. But again, I know most would disagree (even though most underestimate how many thousands of kills is).

Would you add a financial support "tipping point?" We used to pay a good amount of money for POTCO.

I like the idea of keeping Legendary items rare, but realistically they're rarer than they need to be.

Long post, but here is my full argument:

I never really understood the logic among some players that the value of Legendaries will go down if they are made easier to find. I mean, I literally understand it, but they will still be extremely rare compared to Commons, Rares and even Fames. Most players have dozens of times more Fames than Legendaries -- and that's if they get any Legendary -- so Legendaries will still be heavily sought out and rare enough to brag about even if they became two or three times as easy to find as they currently are.

After all, what's the point of having Legendaries in the game when it's almost impossible to loot them, when so many experienced players never get to play with one? Pirates get to Level 50 and keep playing for months, if not a few years -- but still have not a single Legendary to show for it. It feels unnecessary to make the coolest and strongest items in the game so hard/time consuming to obtain.

Sure, a small number of players will somehow manage to get every other Legendary in the game within a few weeks of playing, but for most players it seems, hundreds of hours of playing amount to 0 Legendaries.

I've been pirating since before Legendaries were added, like many of us, and my impression of the looting system is that Legendaries are far rarer than they need to be to allow everyone to enjoy the full game.
I definitely see where you're coming from. I played POTCO for three years, and didn't find a single legendary. Likewise, my current pirate is two years old, and also hasn't found one. It doesn't bother me too much, but I can see why many others find it discouraging.

One thing I don't see people mentioning here is; there is two tiers of loot that haven't ever been made. We can only find up to Loot Skull Chest (tier 3). Perhaps making the other two missing tiers that the game displays there should be, but isn't. These could 'test' to see if the tiers could have their own set drop rates for the rarity of items maybe as well.

If nothing else it would give 'better odds' to getting better weapons, more gold, and maybe even some of the more rare pieces of treasure people are missing in their collections.

Ill post my 0.02 cents here but... as others have stated in the thread... frankly I highly dislike all these RNG dice rolling drops. I played POTCO practically everyday from 2008 to early 2013, and the only legendary I got was silver freeze. Maybe it's just because im jealous of my other guild mates in POTCO, but I was one of the only people in guild to never obtain a cursed legendary, I farmed Dark Hart for hours on a daily basis, I would go around killing the four ghosts on ravens cove totem till there spirits were killed a thousand times over, and half the population of Isla Tormenta at times. I would spend hours upon literally hours farming for that legendary, but alas to no avail. I highly dislike the loot drops, but im not playing for loot anyway anymore, im just happy enough to play POTCO and spend my time on the seas or goofing off before a invasion.

It'd be nice if skulls always had something good in them: a bright, a famed, cursed, or legendary. That wouldn't mean everyone would like what they find (some famed are pretty weak and I certainly don't like every bright or loot-only item in the game) and brights would still be more common than, say, legendary weapons. To keep the loot drops rare, they could also decrease the chances of getting a skull by half.

Personally speaking, a few months ago I realized I didn't enjoy the looting aspect of the game, or looting for only the sake of looting. I still do it with friends or guildies if they need help, but on my own and in hopes of finding a legendary? Nope. And that's okay, but it is yet another aspect of this game I don't enjoy because the results don't feel worth it at all.

Side note: This is just some constructive criticism, and I want to thank the devs for all the effort they've put into TLOPO. I've met so many wonderful people on here, and hope to meet many more. :)

Personally speaking, a few months ago I realized I didn't enjoy the looting aspect of the game, or looting for only the sake of looting. I still do it with friends or guildies if they need help, but on my own and in hopes of finding a legendary? Nope. And that's okay, but it is yet another aspect of this game I don't enjoy because the results don't feel worth it at all.
Same. The only times I "loot" are when I'm still leveling or helping out friends.

To me, the odds of getting Legendaries just isn't worth the risk of looting for so long and getting nothing -- and that's if you literally have that many hours to invest even if you wanted to. I think this is what discourages many players from looting or playing the game in general after maxing out, and that is the real problem. It's not just a matter of "I didn't get what I want" like some think. Collecting Legendaries should be a more viable post-max activity for pirates.

But no... half the community (actually two-thirds, according to this poll) continues to support the over-the-top looting system that is being imposed on them too... because changing it would mean everyone gets to play with Legendaries? :smh:

I've literally seen in-game pirates say they don't enjoy their Legendary as much when they see other pirates with it, too.

It. Is. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Same. The only times I "loot" are when I'm still leveling or helping out friends.

To me, the odds of getting Legendaries just isn't worth the risk of looting for so long and getting nothing -- and that's if you literally have that many hours to invest even if you wanted to. I think this is what discourages many players from looting or playing the game in general after maxing out, and that is the real problem. It's not just a matter of "I didn't get what I want" like some think. Collecting Legendaries should be a more viable post-max activity for pirates.

But no... half the community (actually two-thirds, according to this poll) continues to support the over-the-top looting system that is being imposed on them too... because changing it would mean everyone gets to play with Legendaries? :smh:

I've literally seen in-game pirates say they don't enjoy their Legendary as much when they see other pirates with it, too.

It. Is. Ridiculous.
Exactly! And everyone wouldn’t immediately have a legendary like the luckier looters say. Hypothetically, if they implemented the whole idea, including decreasing skulls a little bit, legendaries would still be nearly as difficult to find. Looting just wouldn’t feel as pointless as trying to find a large needle in a pile of slightly smaller needles.

Last edited:
Exactly! And everyone wouldn’t immediately have a legendary like the luckier looters say. Hypothetically, if they implemented the whole idea, including decreasing skulls a little bit, legendaries would still be nearly as difficult to find. Looting just wouldn’t feel as pointless as trying to find a large needle in a pile of slightly smaller needles.
That's a good analogy for the present state of looting. And there are plenty of ways to improve the looting system/experience, be it directly changing the odds of certain drops for everyone, only giving maxed out pirates a loot boost, only giving crews a loot boost, allowing some degree* of trade between players, or being even more creative.

*I would like trade, but not trading anything for anything. Small, regulated transactions only. A common for a common, rare for a rare, etc. Otherwise it would be abused. But allowing pirates to trade repeat Legendaries, for example, would be perfect to improve their looting experience without even changing drops/rarity. This would only be a partial solution, though, and it shouldn't be added just for Legendaries.

Last edited:
Back