Do you build or buy?

KateRedHawk

Pirate Apprentice
I just was wondering if you guys build or bought your PC? I built my PC's with my dad (he's an engineer so since I didn't know how to build it he was able to figure it out pretty easy)

Last edited:
Bought, too lazy to build and look for the best hardware that fits into my budget. I don't play games that much anyway, so anything will do.

Depends for what purpose.

If it's personal desktop computers, I build. My primary PC I built. Though, if you work in IT like me, it is much more time and cost effective to buy PCs in bulk. We buy all staff/student client machines through Lenovo. All we have to do is unbox them and image them with one of our custom ISOs.

Last edited:
Buy

But later down the road, I may...since I have no clue how any of the physical components work, may buy parts and let someone else build and even help with knowing what parts I should buy.

I did the horrific mistake of buying a gaming laptop... I actually bought it summer 2015 just for TLOPO, but when it didn't come out as I thought, I started playing TF2 and CS:GO... it was fine for it, but then it started overheating and losing fps... didn't know why, couple days ago I inspencted the laptop and saw the dust filter completetely clogged up xD Cleaned it up and now temperature and fps back to normal. Though I play with a separate 24" monitor and mechanical keyboard, much nicer :) Sad though, building a PC would have been much cheaper with cheap components from Germany, but at that time i didn't know anything about pc components.

NEVER ever buy a gaming laptop, even if you want to play away from home. Don't buy a PC either, BUILD it. Unfortunate if you dont know how. Get a friend who knows. :p

I did the horrific mistake of buying a gaming laptop... I actually bought it summer 2015 just for TLOPO, but when it didn't come out as I thought, I started playing TF2 and CS:GO... it was fine for it, but then it started overheating and losing fps... didn't know why, couple days ago I inspencted the laptop and saw the dust filter completetely clogged up xD Cleaned it up and now temperature and fps back to normal. Though I play with a separate 24" monitor and mechanical keyboard, much nicer :) Sad though, building a PC would have been much cheaper with cheap components from Germany, but at that time i didn't know anything about pc components.

NEVER ever buy a gaming laptop, even if you want to play away from home. Don't buy a PC either, BUILD it. Unfortunate if you dont know how. Get a friend who knows. :p
Buy from places u know have quality personal and quality components.
And German components are not cheap, if you want something good you can't get it cheap :)

I bought mine and it's great, so I wouldn't say that you should never buy

I've only personally owned 3 PCs, and the one I'm using right now is the only one I've built.

It felt great when I first turned it on :thumbsup:

Built my pc 4 years ago and its still going, sadly she's starting to be outdated so I'm going to have to scrape up some money and invest into another build. (Not to mention I screwed up and got bad parts but that's besides the point.)

Bought, though in the future when I eventually need a new rig I'll likely go for building it. I used to be scared to death to touch anything with my PC. But recently I did some upgrades, switched out a hardrive, bought a nvidia 1070 card, and installed it all myself. And I enjoyed doing it, and it was pretty simple to do. Bought PCs aren't bad. They just cost more because of labor costs obviously and slightly marked up part prices in some cases. IMO theres no shame in doing so, building can be stressful for some, but who knows, you may find you like building it like I found.

Bought, though in the future when I eventually need a new rig I'll likely go for building it. I used to be scared to death to touch anything with my PC. But recently I did some upgrades, switched out a hardrive, bought a nvidia 1070 card, and installed it all myself. And I enjoyed doing it, and it was pretty simple to do. Bought PCs aren't bad. They just cost more because of labor costs obviously and slightly marked up part prices in some cases. IMO theres no shame in doing so, building can be stressful for some, but who knows, you may find you like building it like I found.

It's not stressful, building PC's has never been so easy. It's like playing with LEGO. Some people can't do it and others just aren't hardcore gamers (like me), for those people anything will do.

Buy from places u know have quality personal and quality components.
And German components are not cheap, if you want something good you can't get it cheap :)

Well, they are cheap to me :p As in my country we have 24 % VAT and basically 2 stores that sell components on the Internet.. so they can keep the prices up :( So components from almost any other country are cheap to me :) Germany simply because it has only 19 % VAT if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Bought pc's tend to have underpowered parts like power supplies actually both my friends bought pc's and they came with no graphics card and the power supply was like 400 watts plus both pc's were over 500$

Bought pc's tend to have underpowered parts like power supplies actually both my friends bought pc's and they came with no graphics card and the power supply was like 400 watts plus both pc's were over 500$
My laptop came with no graphics card too, took a month of customer service and two weeks without a computer and I didn't even get a replacement. Don't trust HP.

building can be both cheaper fun and may learn something like how to put a computer together if you have not build pc its great
experience

Back