Does firestorm need a buff?

White Lightning

Honorable Pirate
After considering both firestorm and stormchaser upgrades for my war brig I did a little math to see about the average amount of damage one could expect to deal with maxed firebrand or thunderbolt on a maxed war brig.
Here's what I got.
Stormchaser:12,805
Firestorm:11255( this includes burn damage)
The amount I have given are with maxed round shot and no barrage. To me the firestorm upgrade simply isn't worth it, you gain 10% turning loose 10% speed compared to stormchaser and loose over 1k damage. Anyone else feel like firestorm needs a buff.

You only lose 6% speed to storm chaser. Firestorm has more stat improvements as it's 114%/120% vs Storm Chasers 120%/110%.

The problems with firestorm isn't that it's bad - in fact it's pretty good. The problem is it costs more than storm chaser, and more importantly nobody wants to spec into firebrand as one of the low tier cannon ammo types, whereas thunderbolt is top tier.

You only lose 6% speed to storm chaser. Firestorm has more stat improvements as it's 114%/120% vs Storm Chasers 120%/110%.

The problems with firestorm isn't that it's bad - in fact it's pretty good. The problem is it costs more than storm chaser, and more importantly nobody wants to spec into firebrand as one of the low tier cannon ammo types, whereas thunderbolt is top tier.
I'd love to have a firestorm ship with maxed firebrand, but honestly it isn't worth losing fury, thunderbolt, or any passives for firebrand.

I think that's the point; all the ship upgrades are different and were intended to be so.
Depending on what skills you use or max on, some upgrade features are more relevant than others.
Whatever cannon ram you may or may not have (when such things actually work) also helps determine which upgrade to choose.
Each upgrade has it's advantages and disadvantages, the way it was intended to be.

I don't think the game should be made to level all playing fields, as many would want.
That's also why there are not and should never be any ships of the line for pirates. It's just too ridiculous, maybe even pathetic.
Seems that many players want a game where they don't really need to play and just click the mouse to "win" at it.

If the game is a pushover and not a challenge, why play it?

That's how I feel also, I had firestorm on a war sloop in potco and it just wasn't worth it. We really need more ships slots and more skill points for cannon.
I say the last level on any skill should give you an extra 5 skill points. I've seen other games do this and it's so rewarding to max something out. That would solve so many dilemmas. I need rank 5 explosive for my copperhead which leaves me without any thunderbolt, which will screw my sloop.

I say the last level on any skill should give you an extra 5 skill points. I've seen other games do this and it's so rewarding to max something out. That would solve so many dilemmas. I need rank 5 explosive for my copperhead which leaves me without any thunderbolt, which will screw my sloop.
I agree, I would love to have a copperhead war frigate but my skill setup now would cripple it.

I think that's the point; all the ship upgrades are different and were intended to be so.
Depending on what skills you use or max on, some upgrade features are more relevant than others.
Whatever cannon ram you may or may not have (when such things actually work) also helps determine which upgrade to choose.
Each upgrade has it's advantages and disadvantages, the way it was intended to be.

I don't think the game should be made to level all playing fields, as many would want.
That's also why there are not and should never be any ships of the line for pirates. It's just too ridiculous, maybe even pathetic.
Seems that many players want a game where they don't really need to play and just click the mouse to "win" at it.

If the game is a pushover and not a challenge, why play it?
All I'm saying is that firestorm is easily the least common upgrade path, and after actually owning one i can say it is pretty lackluster. Also the cannon rams that effect firebrand don't exactly do a whole lot besides the critical hits, the burn duration doesn't change and minimum damage only goes up by 100.

Back