Glitch  Downloading Desktop Launcher

James Birkshaw

Notorious Pirate
I finally decided to switch to desktop launcher (too long, wasn't it?) because I heard it was faster and didn't drop as much... I seem to be at a little problem though. I used Davy Darkrage's link for the Mac version of the Launcher, except whenever I try to download it, it takes about 20 minutes to go through the 'download stages' and then after it finishes, my 'PiratesOnline' icon is replaced with a big X, saying that the download was 'incomplete' and 'unusable.' I asked Davy if the link was for the most updated version of POTCO's game, and he said it was, so obviously it's my computer. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

Yeah, reinstalling seemed to help a little bit with the download speed, but it still consistently either: 1) Unexpectedly quits while downloading or 2) Finishes downloading and turns into the X thingy.
Also, I've noticed that sometimes, after the 'downloading game' stage finishes, the bar goes back to empty and it has to go through the stage again.

BTW: Thanks a lot for helping, I hope I'm not being a hassle to you...

I couldn't describe it exactly.. sorry, it's an 'anti' sign. It's the circle with the line through it. I'm re-downloading it to show you...

Sorry in advance, I anticipate a double post.

Is it like the Apple default 'application' icon (pencil/brush/ruler) crossed out? That would indicate a problem completing a necessary part of the download. If that's the case, let me know and we can diagnose further.

Yes, it is. It seems to be a paper with the Applications symbol in the bottom-right hand corner, crossed out by a grey 'anti-symbol.'

Alrighty. If you'd like to continue with fixing the issue, the next part is a bit complicated (not as bad as it seems), but I am going to need you to upload your log file for me to take a look at. It doesn't contain any sensitive information and will help me identify what's going wrong.

To get the log file, find the PiratesOnline app in your Applications directory, right click it, and click 'Show Package Contents'. Then, navigate to the Contents/MacOS/ folder and find a file called launcher-YYMMDD_HHMMSS.log and upload it here. (The YYMMDD_HHMMSS will be the date in numbers).

If you need more help locating the file I'd be happy to help.

Ok, I located it. As I clicked, it opened a console file as well as the small log. If I'm worried about security, should I upload both?

No worries :) Just click the 'Upload a File' button (which is next to 'Post Reply'). You can drag the launcher.log file from a Finder window to the upload window if that helps.

Do you have an older one? If not, can you try to load the game until it fails or stalls and then try to repost? That file is near blank (as if from a fresh startup).

I'm going to try to fail my download again. :p All of my other logs are as clean as that first one I posted. Is there anything specific that you are looking for?
Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 8.06.07 PM.png

Edit: And my Download finally died. Here's the picture you wanted, I don't think it has a use anymore though.

Attachments

• launcher-110527_193038.log
    213 bytes · Views: 74
  • launcher-110527_200056.log
    313 bytes · Views: 74
  • launcher-110527_193519.log
    213 bytes · Views: 63
A few scattered lines in it. More specifically...
Code:
Loader -->In Did connectionDidFinishLoading
Looking For File/Applications/PiratesOnline_TEST.app/Contents/MacOS/phase_1OSX.mf
Starting install check for phase_1OSX.mf
PatchManager::Run:do_initial_install:0
File operation fetch hash phase_1OSX.mf
File operation mf extract phase_1OSX.mf
The logs will provide more insight into where it's failing and why.

Which? The lines I posted? Those are the lines I'd be specifically looking for.
Since it failed, can you try to repost the most recent log? (Be careful about quitting and restarting the launcher, it may purge old logs.)

Back