Discussion Dragons.

Kerry O'Malley

Buccaneer
Dragons of all kinds are great, majestic creatures that everyone should respect, honor, and perhaps even worship.

They are masters of disguise, with commanding mastery over the skies and the Elements of fire, ice, earth, lightning, poison, fear, wind, shadow and even time.
Wise beyond anything Humans can imagine, and powerful beyond our belief.

I have always wanted to be a dragon. I roleplay as one on occasion, and I enjoy it immensely.

I've never had a dull moment as my dragon character and always felt the sheer power bestowed upon them.

PRAISE BE TO THE DRAGONS!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever wondered where the concept of dragons (and unicorns and other magical creatures) came from? And I don't mean in the sense of a specific geographical location and time period, but more who actually came up with the creature in the first place and what inspired them.

Like...maybe the discovery of a fossilized pterodactyl skeleton?

Has anyone ever wondered where the concept of dragons (and unicorns and other magical creatures) came from?

Personally I don't believe the unicorn to be completely mythical, unlike most of the creatures on that list.

The Unicorn could have been a real-world mutation of a common horse which was hunted to extinction by medieval man, because of their supposed mystical powers.

So the unicorn's powers aren't real, but the animal could very well have been.

Personally I don't believe the unicorn to be completely mythical, unlike most of the creatures on that list.

The Unicorn could have been a real-world mutation of a common horse which was hunted to extinction by medieval man, because of their supposed mystical powers.

So the unicorn's powers aren't real, but the animal could very well have been.
Yeah, I've often wondered the same thing, although I suppose one argument against it would be that there isn't any fossil evidence...well, not yet, anyways ;).

one could argue that dragons were real in ancient history, as they appear all over the world in different cultures where communication would have been impossible. Of course that raises the problem as there are no remanants to be found. interesting thought though.

one could argue that dragons were real in ancient history, as they appear all over the world in different cultures where communication would have been impossible. Of course that raises the problem as there are no remanants to be found. interesting thought though.

If dragon carcasses explosively self-cremate (in other words: if they explode, similar to the Hindenburg zeppelin disaster, when they die) then there would be no fossil remains. Only ash, long since turned to dust and scattered in the wind.

It's a plausible theory, but it's only a theory.

Last edited:
I have and always will love dragons, They're just so fascinating and majestic. I like to believe they were a part of this earth a long time ago. There's a ton of places on the earth that have yet to be explored, So who knows what's real and what isn't? Who knows Big Foot could even be real as well. ;)

I have and always will love dragons, They're just so fascinating and majestic. I like to believe they were a part of this earth a long time ago. There's a ton of places on the earth that have yet to be explored, So who knows what's real and what isn't? Who knows Big Foot could even be real as well. ;)
Agreed, Remy.

Even though unicorns are my favorite mythical creature, dragons are right up there as well as they're my second favorite!! :D (Who knows they could have existed along with the dinosaurs.)

I did a lot of reading on this a few weeks ago when I had some free time at night. Before the study of dinosaurs was a thing (and before the word "dinosaur" even existed for that matter), when dinosaur fossils were discovered, people had no idea what they were and so would consider them to be the bones of dragons and other monsters. More ancient people would even believe the skeletons of whales or giraffes to be those of "dragons" instead. Those explanations eventually turned into mythologies/legends/folklore, and now we have the modern, fantasy ideas of dragons.

Also, it might technically be possible for a creature to spit fire. There is a bug that sprays some kind of chemical as a defense mechanism, and the exothermic reaction can cause the spray to reach temperatures of over 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'll see if I can find the articles I read and post them if anyone is interested. Although I suppose I should ask first - is anyone interested?

I did a lot of reading on this a few weeks ago when I had some free time at night. Before the study of dinosaurs was a thing (and before the word "dinosaur" even existed for that matter), when dinosaur fossils were discovered, people had no idea what they were and so would consider them to be the bones of dragons and other monsters. More ancient people would even believe the skeletons of whales or giraffes to be those of "dragons" instead. Those explanations eventually turned into mythologies/legends/folklore, and now we have the modern, fantasy ideas of dragons.

Also, it might technically be possible for a creature to spit fire. There is a bug that sprays some kind of chemical as a defense mechanism, and the exothermic reaction can cause the spray to reach temperatures of over 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'll see if I can find the articles I read and post them if anyone is interested. Although I suppose I should ask first - is anyone interested?

I'm a big fan of how dragons look in skyrim, does anyone else think those long dragons from eastern asia, look a bit silly? see the image below for an example of one of the silly long one.

longdragon.png

he's way to long to be fierce, he looks like a snake, you could probably grab this sucker by the tail and throw him into a bomb mario 64 style no problem

I'm a big fan of how dragons look in skyrim, does anyone else think those long dragons from eastern asia, look a bit silly? see the image below for an example of one of the silly long one.

View attachment 118818

he's way to long to be fierce, he looks like a snake, you could probably grab this sucker by the tail and throw him into a bomb mario 64 style no problem
I can see why you'd think that, but at the same time I still feel like Eastern Asian dragons are really cool in their own right. European dragons have a more fierce and monstrous image, but Asian dragons seem more mystical and truly otherworldly. Even then, though, I'd still find myself in fear of my own life if I encountered an Asian dragon. They're like fire-breathing Basilisks. And they don't even need wings to fly.

You know what you really do bring up a good point that things that breath fire are just really cool, I suppose there really isn't a lame dragon in the grand scheme of things

Back