Event DreadPoet Storytime -- Official Story Thread

Discussion in 'TLOPO Events' started by Dread Poet Roberts, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Kai Devlin

Kai Devlin Sea Legs

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. CharlotteIronPhoenix

CharlotteIronPhoenix Honorable Pirate

Thank you!

As for the first part you quoted, I cannot entirely take credit. That is paraphrased from an actual speech attributed to Black Sam himself as recorded in "A General History of the Pyrates" published in 1724. I hated to change any of it because it is simply beautiful on it's own, so I tried to change as little as possible.

"I am sorry they won't let you have your sloop again, for I scorn to do any one a mischief, when it is not to my advantage; d*** the sloop, we must sink her, and she might be of use to you. Though you are a sneaking puppy, and so are all those who will submit to be governed by laws which rich men have made for their own security; for the cowardly whelps have not the courage otherwise to defend what they get by knavery; but d*** ye altogether: d*** them for a pack of crafty rascals, and you, who serve them, for a parcel of hen-hearted numbskulls. They vilify us, the scoundrels do, when there is only this difference, they rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage. Had you not better make then one of us, than sneak after these villains for employment?"

  [The merchant captain replied that his conscience would not let him break the law by becoming a pirate]

"You are a devilish conscience rascal! I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me! But there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."

As for the second, that part was actually slated to be cut. But I wanted Sam to have a happy ending darn it, so I rolled with it. In my research I found that there are a dozen different stories about how the story of Black Sam ended; most agree he drowned on the Whydah in the storm, but there are a few stories that mention a man matching his description being spotted in town after the storm. I swear I saw this particular ending I went with somewhere, but for the life of my I have not been able to find the original source since.

SunAndMoon likes this.
  3. SunAndMoon

SunAndMoon Sea Legs

That speech always makes me tear up a little. I love Black Sam, and I loved your poem.

Any version of the story that ends with Sam and Maria being reunited is fine by me. <3

CharlotteIronPhoenix likes this.
  4. Horatio

Horatio Honorable Pirate

The Heart, and Love's Grace were presented by Coron Ach at Valentine's Day Story Time, 02/12/2018

The Heart

My heart, possessed
    My soul, enslaved
    My mind now captured which once was free

Flames consume me
    so embraced by yearning
    and so enfeebled by love so strong

In my dreams I have seen you
    In my thoughts is your presence
    And, upon your face my aloneness looks

Pour it out
    this blood of mine
    that flows not but by your willing

The stream finds the sea
    The flower finds the light
    But I am alone in love’s ecstasy

Can hope be an error?
    Can longing be despised?
    The flames consume me as I burn in this pyre

At least I know
    that in this life
    the door to paradise is a human heart

Love’s Grace

As the moth seeks the light,
    let your heart yearn for fullness
    As the moth scorches in the flame,
    let your love burnish in the pyre

Follow love wherever it finds you
    Seek its comfort and its pain
    When it beckons to you, reach out
    and yield to its consummation

When it speaks to you,
    listen deeply to its message
    For the infinite is born of love
    and all creation stands on its pillar

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. Horatio

Horatio Honorable Pirate

Love of Another was presented by Canon Bluefire at Valentine's Day Story Time, 02/12/2018

Love of Another

You were made to have need of another
    with passions, the depths to yet discover
    in a true friendship that does not smother
    but grows deep in pure love’s breathing cover

Let your passion for your beloved bathe free
    in the warmth of the spring of truth and caring
    and through the vapors let your soul’s eye see
    that your heart succumbs to selfless sharing

Provide the space within yourself to listen
    unto your hearts throbbing dance with your soul
    in a song of perfect kindness it will glisten
    in knowledge of the oneness of the whole

And, in an extension of self you mesh
    in a release into one mind and flesh

6. Sorrow

Sorrow Swashbuckler

Overlooking the Baby

There was once a lady who lived on a small Carribean island.
    She was the wife of wealthy importer, and they lived together in their villa with no servants and together raised their infant daughter.
    His business would often take him away to far away places, and the lady would spend her time alone, missing him and longing for his return.
    /search
    While he was gone, she would always wear dresses of blue, for that was his favorite color, and it would remind her of him.
    /sad
    One day, while her husband is away on business in Europe, a strange woman arrived on the island, a drifter named Korrigan.
    She was beautiful, with pale blonde hair and red lined eyes, and while the stranger made her nervous, the lady welcomed the newcomer to her island.
    Korrigan asked permission to stay on the villa grounds for a little while. The island's tiny tavern had no room for her, and she was looking for a place to make a camp.
    The lady immediately said yes,
    /yes
    for to refuse would have been rude, and the lady prided herself on her hospitality.
    That night, the lady watched as Korrigan made her tiny camp and prepare her meager meal, and she felt very guilty.
    So she invited her into the villa to share her meal, and the two began to talk and trade stories.
    Korrigan had once been a pirate but had eventually grown tired of it. Now she was traveling through the less populated islands of the Caribbean, exploring and learning and meeting new people.
    She was pleasant enough to talk to, but the lady was repulsed by her table manners.
    /no
    However, she figured anyone that had once been a pirate should be expected to have a few rough edges.
    /shrug
    Nevertheless, she was grateful when Korrigan returned to her tent outside.
    The days passed, and the two women become more comfortable with each other. Korrigan would ask the lady to comb and plait her hair, for it was too long for her to manage on her own.
    As she sat still beneath the lady's comb, she would sing the saddest songs with the most beautiful voice the lady had ever heard.
    Korrigan would try to help out around the villa, but she could only do so much.
    /help
    The lady's infant daughter would cry without relief whenever she was held by the stranger.
    /cry
    "She is such a fussy thing," Korrigan would complain bitterly.
    /impatient
    "Not always," the lady said, "but perhaps she is catching croup."
    /shrug
    Korrigan was fascinated with becoming a mother, and asked many questions about the baby and giving birth. About love and life with her husband.
    /hungry
    She would listen hungrily and stare at mother and child like a wolf.
    /bark
    "I was pregnant once," she said angrily, "but I lost the baby. It was not to be, I suppose."
    /sad
    One day, a letter arrived from the lady's husband. He was on his way home and should be back by the end of the month.
    /cheer
    The lady wasn't excited until she saw the date on the letter.
    /wait
    It had been sitting in Port Royal for weeks! That meant he will be home any day now!
    /celebrate
    She showed the letter to Korrigan, and the pirate smiled coldly.
    "It is just as well," she said, "as I need to go as well. We had a pleasant visit certainly? Come please," she asked, "and comb my hair one more time?"
    /smile
    When the lady's husband returned home, he found the villa empty.
    His wife and daughter were missing.
    /search
    Down by the shore, he found a woman's body rolling in the surf.
    /gasp
    On the docks of Port Royal, a young mother in a blue dress disembarked from her ship.
    Held tightly in her arms, her infant daughter cried and cried.
    /bow