Ever wonder what the old POTCO was like?

Benjamin Calicovane

Notorious Pirate
At the time it closed, Pirates Online was a very different game than it was in it's early years. I've put together a playlist of POTCO videos from 2007-2009, which shows the vast changes the game had undergone since its start.

Hopefully this playlist will be a "blast to the past" for some players who experienced the game during this portion of its existence, and will teach newer players what the game was like way back when.

I'm also constantly updating this playlist, any time I find an interesting old POTCO video it gets added. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwn5k1yPwRNYjajoK8LBtJe7B7pK5YtWe

At the time it closed, Pirates Online was a very different game than it was in it's early years. I've put together a playlist of POTCO videos from 2007-2009, which shows the vast changes the game had undergone since its start.

Hopefully this playlist will be a "blast to the past" for some players who experienced the game during this portion of its existence, and will teach newer players what the game was like way back when.

I'm also constantly updating this playlist, any time I find an interesting old POTCO video it gets added. Enjoy!

Interesting! It's very nice to see how POTCO had changed over the years, it was a good run while it lasted. I wonder how TLOPO will change over the years... :) Hopefully it's in a good way.

If I'm not mistaken that was the old color wheel that people have been requesting for the tutorial on TLOPO. You could have coats back then at the tutorial as well as a hat. That's how I ended up getting my green Tricorn hat.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken that was the old color wheel that people have been requesting for the tutorial on TLOPO. You could have coats back then at the tutorial as well as a hat. That's how I ended up getting my green Tricorn hat. (sorry double posted by mistake can a mod please edit and fix it please and thank you!)
That's exactly what it is! I was so sad when it was taken out and replaced with the basic clothes that we see today. Hopefully the old clothing options do in fact make a comeback, but at this point, I have my doubts :/

That's exactly what it is! I was so sad when it was taken out and replaced with the basic clothes that we see today. Hopefully the old clothing options do in fact make a comeback, but at this point, I have my doubts :/
The old color wheel was awesome. I'd love to see it and the vanilla options return to Character creation! Hopefully the glitch where creation clothes aren't equipped (and are permanently deleted when equipping something in that clothing slot) is patched soon, too.

Found some OLD ss, of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of POTCO Beta Testing, prior to the game opening 10/31/07. It was suggested I post some here for all to see what it looked like way back in the early days :)
This post will have some from May 17, 2007. We were told to include ss of bugs, so these are them.

screenshot-Thu-May-17-16-57-31-2007-37378.jpg
screenshot-Thu-May-17-16-56-40-2007-35053.jpg
screenshot-Thu-May-17-16-56-35-2007-34878.jpg
screenshot-Sat-May-19-17-53-25-2007-72001.jpg
screenshot-Mon-Jun-04-16-08-35-2007-73629.jpg
screenshot-Mon-Jun-04-15-12-18-2007-36765.jpg
screenshot-Mon-Jun-04-15-12-58-2007-37682.jpg

Thanks for sharing these great shots. If someone wasn't familiar with the game, when comparing these pictures with pictures of the game right before it closed, they might think they were looking at 2 different games. Crazy how much things have changed (for better and for worse) over the course of this game's lifetime.
We have two different sky options in the settings. It's a 'fancy sky' setting. Is the awesome sky in the top video the fancy sky on or off setting? I never got to test the difference (is 'on' the awesome vanilla POTCO sky or the later on not-so-cool sky?)
The "Fancy" sky setting in the game is how the sky looked at the time of POTCO's closing. If you un-check that box, you get a sky that was either never in the game, or was in for a very short time. It's the same background as the sky at the time of POTCO's closing, but with more clouds.

The amazingly vibrant sky you see in that video was removed from the game in 2009, around the time that the islands were redesigned. Currently, it's not in the game. I was actually the one who suggested that the old sky be put in the game, and I believe a developer said a massive rewrite would be required to successfully implement the "true" old sky (shown in that video.) However, we did get the sky with more clouds because of my suggestion, which I think still looks nicer than the regular "Fancy" option.

Thanks for sharing these great shots. If someone wasn't familiar with the game, when comparing these pictures with pictures of the game right before it closed, they might think they were looking at 2 different games. Crazy how much things have changed (for better and for worse) over the course of this game's lifetime.

The "Fancy" sky setting in the game is how the sky looked at the time of POTCO's closing. If you un-check that box, you get a sky that was either never in the game, or was in for a very short time. It's the same background as the sky at the time of POTCO's closing, but with more clouds.

The amazingly vibrant sky you see in that video was removed from the game in 2009, around the time that the islands were redesigned. Currently, it's not in the game. I was actually the one who suggested that the old sky be put in the game, and I believe a developer said a massive rewrite would be required to successfully implement the "true" old sky (shown in that video.) However, we did get the sky with more clouds because of my suggestion, which I think still looks nicer than the regular "Fancy" option.

Ok, that would explain why the difference between the fancy and 'not fancy' sky didnt seem that different when I tried it. The extra clouds were a nice addition though. It added a bit of needed depth.

Back