Extreme Loading Time

Xendrae

Dockworker
I've ran multiple searches in the forums so I hopefully am not posting something that has already been discussed, if so I do apologise.

I recently built a new computer and upon installing this game, the loading time is extraordinarily long (at game launch not in-game loading at port/launching boat/etc.). By extraordinarily long I mean a minimum of 10 minutes loading time, sometimes up to 15. Given that my former laptop (i7 6th gen, GTX 1060) could load this in about 20-30 seconds, I cannot imagine what on earth is making my new desktop load this in 10-15 minutes. The only thing I can speculate is causing this is a potential incompatibility but I'm hoping someone can shed some light. I have also added TLOPO as exceptions on both my antivirus and antimalware to no success, and I should mention that the game is not getting outright blocked at any point, just taking this phenomenal amount of time to finally load (with numerous 'not responding' messages along the way).

Specs for if they're helpful:
CPU: AMD Threadripper 2950x
GPU: NVidia RTX 2080 super
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO
Antivirus: Bitdefender
Antimalware: Malwarebytes

Thanks for your help,
Xendrae (Red Dawn on POTCO)

Given that everything else runs correctly, including other games I have a few ideas. I'm not a developer, they probably would know more about this issue. But one thing I would maybe try is to lower the process's affinity in task manager since it is an older game, and usually older games have issues with high core counts which the Threadripper definitely has.
1570216625643.png

1570216667783.png

1570216732725.png

(set it to a lower number of cores)
Other than that you could try running anything you may have overclocked at stock speeds. Though, I'm not sure what else could be causing issues.

Thanks for the quick reply! I have everything set to stock speeds and I turned off hyperthreading as a test as well. I attempted the affinity to no luck, dropping to 8, 4, 2, and finally 1, all with no noticeable change. I also attempted numerous compatibility tests, including Windows 8, 7, and XP (Service pack 3). Unfortunately none of these have changed the loading speed any noticeable amount.

Back