Fast Switch, Rebirth.

Enemies outside of pvp would be easier to kill though and yes it is lag because I've fasted switched near people and they would always complain about me doing it near them, I've even lagged myself doing it

Like I said earlier, lag depends on server output, computer specs, the amount of people in that area etc. You are putting more stress on the game by being able to move quickly through combos, but it will not be significant. A friend of mine experienced the same thing, and I suggested to turn the display settings down a notch. Low and behold, he can fast switch at his full potential without witnessing any lag-like symptoms. Keep in mind though, this was a mistake made by POTCO. If TLOPO brings back this feature on purpose, I'm sure they would do it the right way, and not have it stress out the system in any way, shape, or form.

I support this movement. Though it's possible this feature was originally a design flaw which was later corrected, it was never that to players. Fast switch grew to become a part of the "jumper" community. Though it has been removed for quite some time, even before POTCO was closed, support for it's return was always very prominent amongst the community. And even now, all these years later support is stronger than ever.

Other than a lack of realism in it, I don't see how fast switch's revival can negatively affect the game or it's players.

Personally, I always wanted TLOPO's goal to be to revive POTCO to exactly as it was on closing day to the very last detail, only adding additional content later on which wouldn't compromise or alter the experience. Though I think that it's become clear that the game will never be exactly as it was. TLOPO is a game created by the community for the community. This is something the community wants.

I suggest we start a pole, giving pirates the opportunity to vote wether or not it should return.

Meh. It adds a bit more strategy to me to have gotten rid of it. You have to actually time when you use blade storm now, primarily using it as a finisher, rather than just hitting it as soon as is ready. I'm okay with it being out.

I can meet you halfway on your statement... I'm going to assume one of two things.
1. You have stopped PvPing.
2. You are not a jumper / aggressive player in the PvP world.

The reason why I assume this is because I too have dropped out of the PvP world, after FS was no more of course. I as of right now, don't really care to PvP. Not that I don't enjoy it... More of I'm so used to and in love with the old ways, it's terribly slow and painful to go back to the non fast switch ways...

Now to why I assume you are not a jumper / aggressive PvPer. Without FS, taking your opponent down is such a chore, when used to the old ways. Not to mention, the beauty FS brought out in players. I remember it became a colorful sport where PvPers started making their own, unique combos to finish their opponent. A great friend of mine, Eric Raidrage, would love to finish with his Thrust/Nest/Storm combo. This did massive damage hence why he was one of the best, -best in my eyes- out there. This didn't come to him over night, us PvPers would study others and learn ways to defeat our opponents. We all had a unique fight about us. Now with FS gone, -Don't take me rude here- , the PvP world has gotten boring. Everyone knows, it's going to be combos then either blade, nest or w.e that's coming.

There's times that Eric would finish me off, and I'm still looking at the screen like, "What the heck did he just hit me with?!" After laughing and congratulating each other on the GGs, we'd talk about how quick he became, and how his techniques worked for him. That's the great part about FS, everyone was unique. Some were amazing with combos, and some where amazing with their abilities. We all had our own flavors. Now, we're nothing more than just a bowl of cereal, where Spade is the one who slices and dices everyone up as he goes along this slow milk run :)

I support this movement. Though it's possible this feature was originally a design flaw which was later corrected, it was never that to players. Fast switch grew to become a part of the "jumper" community. Though it has been removed for quite some time, even before POTCO was closed, support for it's return was always very prominent amongst the community. And even now, all these years later support is stronger than ever.

Other than a lack of realism in it, I don't see how fast switch's revival can negatively affect the game or it's players.

Personally, I always wanted TLOPO's goal to be to revive POTCO to exactly as it was on closing day to the very last detail, only adding additional content later on which wouldn't compromise or alter the experience. Though I think that it's become clear that the game will never be exactly as it was. TLOPO is a game created by the community for the community. This is something the community wants.

I suggest we start a pole, giving pirates the opportunity to vote wether or not it should return.

Avast, Johnny! Thank you for your kind words! We too would love to see FS coming back. Hopefully it will, and revive our old friends that has gone away from this game. I know as well as others, many that left for a more fast paced, PvP. Hopefully, with this back, our friends will come back and enjoy this game once again!

As for you wishing TLOPO to bring back POTCO as exactly as it was.... Eh, I hope they come with something new. POTCO was great, of course! But we all got older, and would like a change. Keep the old things of course, however, maybe add a few more weapons, better drop rates, etc. I don't know, to me, I'd like to always be moving forward. Making something better than it once was. That's how you stay being the best, as well as bringing in millions of new players... And the key of KEEPING the old ones. I know it's not easy, but with helping us out and giving the community what we all like, this game will definitely go far, and I'm hoping to be here when it does!

I can meet you halfway on your statement... I'm going to assume one of two things.
1. You have stopped PvPing.
2. You are not a jumper / aggressive player in the PvP world.

The reason why I assume this is because I too have dropped out of the PvP world, after FS was no more of course. I as of right now, don't really care to PvP. Not that I don't enjoy it... More of I'm so used to and in love with the old ways, it's terribly slow and painful to go back to the non fast switch ways...

Now to why I assume you are not a jumper / aggressive PvPer. Without FS, taking your opponent down is such a chore, when used to the old ways. Not to mention, the beauty FS brought out in players. I remember it became a colorful sport where PvPers started making their own, unique combos to finish their opponent. A great friend of mine, Eric Raidrage, would love to finish with his Thrust/Nest/Storm combo. This did massive damage hence why he was one of the best, -best in my eyes- out there. This didn't come to him over night, us PvPers would study others and learn ways to defeat our opponents. We all had a unique fight about us. Now with FS gone, -Don't take me rude here- , the PvP world has gotten boring. Everyone knows, it's going to be combos then either blade, nest or w.e that's coming.

There's times that Eric would finish me off, and I'm still looking at the screen like, "What the heck did he just hit me with?!" After laughing and congratulating each other on the GGs, we'd talk about how quick he became, and how his techniques worked for him. That's the great part about FS, everyone was unique. Some were amazing with combos, and some where amazing with their abilities. We all had our own flavors. Now, we're nothing more than just a bowl of cereal, where Spade is the one who slices and dices everyone up as he goes along this slow milk run :)
You've done a fantastic job of romanticizing a small glitch in a game that shut down 4 years ago. I just don't think it's that big a deal. :confused:

only if u can toggle on or off then yea cause I pvp in look out only cause I am a casual pvper type.

I see what you're saying. It may be a little more difficult to toggle on and off however. Truth is, either way if it comes back it'll be great! Toggle, no toggle, always on, or sometimes on... As long as PvPers have it at their disposal, it'd be a great thing :D

fast switch was completely a glitch lol. you could animation cancel abilities that were suppose to have a 4 second timer and immediately swap to other high damage abilities. sure it was cool and fun to watch and play against however with certain weapon setups it was ridiculously overpowered

Reminder that this feature is integral for competitive PvP. Right now the scene is strikingly dead and this feature needs to make a comeback or else competitive PvP will remain dull and rather linear. Fast switch adds both strategy and APM into the game and less boring, and allows for a more diverse variety of skill levels within the PvP community, right now, many are getting bored, and quitting PvP completely. One could argue fast switch was an unintended glitch, but it does not adversely affect the rest of the game enough for it to be a problem. An option for enabling fast switch in instanced PvP only is also an option. PvP needs this feature, or it will effectively die on TLOPO.

Reminder that this feature is integral for competitive PvP. Right now the scene is strikingly dead and this feature needs to make a comeback or else competitive PvP will remain dull and rather linear. Fast switch adds both strategy and APM into the game and less boring, and allows for a more diverse variety of skill levels within the PvP community, right now, many are getting bored, and quitting PvP completely. One could argue fast switch was an unintended glitch, but it does not adversely affect the rest of the game enough for it to be a problem. An option for enabling fast switch in instanced PvP only is also an option. PvP needs this feature, or it will effectively die on TLOPO.
more like it’s strikingly dead because they termed all the active pvpers

...One could argue fast switch was an unintended glitch, but it does not adversely affect the rest of the game enough for it to be a problem...
Wouldn't this function give a player an "advantage" over another player though pertinent to a particular weapon chosen (dependent also upon how well [or not so well] a particular player within a match has LOOTED generally within the game, versus the other)? I am just asking...for I know little about the dynamics of PVP.

Wouldn't this function give a player an "advantage" over another player though pertinent to a particular weapon chosen (dependent also upon how well [or not so well] a particular player within a match has LOOTED generally within the game, versus the other)? I am just asking...for I know little about the dynamics of PVP.
Absolutely... but this is not a new concept, the idea of overpowered swords in competitive PvP is not new (doom rattler in potco, heart of padres etc).

Krakenslayer ( or any other bladestorm boost sword) + Thunderspine + is and would be one of the most overpowered game-breaking combos to exist. Organized PvP often includes rules set by consenting individuals, to ensure that it is fair for all players. It's frowned upon to use things that would boost a players ability to extreme heights, like barracuda and parry. Even without fast switch I can obtain an advantage over most players by barracuda bladestorming if I want, that's an inherent part of the game. This does not overshadow the need for fast switch even remotely in my opinion and will raise the skill ceiling for PvP resulting in overall more interest and complexity herein.

Last edited:
Absolutely... but this is not a new concept, the idea of overpowered swords in competitive PvP is not new (doom rattler in potco, heart of padres etc).

Krakenslayer ( or any other bladestorm boost sword) + Thunderspine + is and would be one of the most overpowered game-breaking combos to exist. Organized PvP often includes rules set by consenting individuals, to ensure that it is fair for all players. It's frowned upon to use things that would boost a players ability to extreme heights, like barracuda and parry. Even without fast switch I can obtain an advantage over most players by barracuda bladestorming if I want, that's an inherent part of the game. This does not overshadow the need for fast switch even remotely in my opinion and will raise the skill ceiling for PvP resulting in overall more interest and complexity herein.
Then, I am wondering to myself why fast switch has (thus far) not been a priority to be included within TLOPO. Perhaps the devs have their reasons; perhaps maybe not. Regardless, whatever reason(s) is given let's not fail to remember that just because something isn't implemented currently at the moment...it does not mean it never will. Myself, I held a huge SVS/privateering interest and, while I never much liked nor cared for PVP, looking back on things today one must actually appreciate the impact PVP had to POTCO. Pertinent to TLOPO, it could be a huge blow to the totality of the remake if such an aspect of the game did not take into consideration popular opinion and/or such request.

Perhaps there is more to the reasoning behind the fact of exactly why fast switch is not implemented into TLOPO and the only way such an answer can be gained is to ask a TLOPO dev, remembering also for the rest of us to "respect" any opinion or statement given. As such, I feel compelled to tag @Davy Darkrage and @deanaug into this thread to gain their insight into why fast switch has not yet been implemented.

Then, I am wondering to myself why fast switch has (thus far) not been a priority to be included within TLOPO. Perhaps the devs have their reasons; perhaps maybe not. Regardless, whatever reason(s) is given let's not fail to remember that just because something isn't implemented currently at the moment...it does not mean it never will. Myself, I held a huge SVS/privateering interest and, while I never much liked nor cared for PVP, looking back on things today one must actually appreciate the impact PVP had to POTCO. Pertinent to TLOPO, it could be a huge blow to the totality of the remake if such an aspect of the game did not take into consideration popular opinion and/or such request.

Perhaps there is more to the reasoning behind the fact of exactly why fast switch is not implemented into TLOPO and the only way such an answer can be gained is to ask a TLOPO dev, remembering also for the rest of us to "respect" any opinion or statement given. As such, I feel compelled to tag @Davy Darkrage and @deanaug into this thread to gain their insight into why fast switch has not yet been implemented.
I think it was removed because a lot of people complained that it was unfair, also it causes lag if you keep switching weapons.

I'm bumping this as weapon canceling or "fast switching" as we called it back then was something that was prominent to me when I played the original game. Its removal ultimately caused me, a lot of my friends, and a lot of the competition to lose interest in the game. I am aware that weapon animation canceling was an unintended glitch, but its existence made pvp much more skill-based and therefore more enjoyable competitively. Anyone who was an active and enthusiastic pvper from 07-10 will tell you that the modern pvp experience pales in comparison to its original implementation, and would greatly appreciate its return. I'd be willing to wager that most people who are serious at pvp now would also welcome the return of weapon animation cancelling, as well. A toggle option for pvp as previously suggested would be a perfect way to implement it, as that way it will have no overworld effects and players will be able to freely choose whether or not they want to allow it if they decide that it isn't for them.

I'm bumping this as weapon canceling or "fast switching" as we called it back then was something that was prominent to me when I played the original game. Its removal ultimately caused me, a lot of my friends, and a lot of the competition to lose interest in the game. I am aware that weapon animation canceling was an unintended glitch, but its existence made pvp much more skill-based and therefore more enjoyable competitively. Anyone who was an active and enthusiastic pvper from 07-10 will tell you that the modern pvp experience pales in comparison to its original implementation, and would greatly appreciate its return. I'd be willing to wager that most people who are serious at pvp now would also welcome the return of weapon animation cancelling, as well. A toggle option for pvp as previously suggested would be a perfect way to implement it, as that way it will have no overworld effects and players will be able to freely choose whether or not they want to allow it if they decide that it isn't for them.
You speak of a toggle? Is it toggled for all combatants in the match? Everyone either on or off? Certainly I'm not going into pvp without this glitch ON. And yes, it was a nasty glitch that players of course took advantage of.
Matter of fact, I read some real old forums comments somewhere of potco where the early adapters didn't want too much news about the glitch.
But this will have to be debated by pvp'ers, but I think tlopo has already said their piece.

And the comment that that other games developers were okay with a glitch is urban legend nonsense. And always from people working the glitches.
This is one of those threads that may not have been needed to be bumped.
GL

Back