Fast Switch, Rebirth.

Flash X

Sea Legs
Hello there, I'm Flash, a player when the original POTCO was launched. I've been playing this game for a long time, and been through all the glitches and hacks possible. There was one perk however, and that perk was known to PvPers as, Fast Switch. I am referring to it as a perk, because it is not a hack or a glitch.

Fast Switch is basically using a weapon such as a sword for instance, using Blade Storm, then with the press of ESC and F4 or whatever you may have your other weapon as, you're able to take out and immediately start using that one as a follow up attack. Think of this as a combo.

In our PvP community, this made it grow vastly. More and more players would absolutely love the feeling of being fast enough to attempt this and learn to take down stronger players. This leveled the playing field for those lower level pirates who had the ambition and the love for the game of learning how to master this technique in order to attack quickly and build combo damage towards other players.

This became a new sensation in the PvP world as it made thousands of players from all around the world take part of this phenomenon. The fact that you didn't have to be a mastered level 50 pirate to fight everyone else was the beginning of a new era for this game. Personally, I've had friends in Japan, and Singapore waiting up for us to PvP and this even brought about PvP guilds!

Guilds were made specifically for those who loved PvP. For a LONG time guilds went at it with each other, friendly fueds of course. We all fought for one thing, to become the best. And that was a blast, I must say! Who doesn't love a fun, competitive game?

This game serves everyone's needs in terms of sailing, cannons, making our own ships, and what not. All I'm asking, the PvP world became bland. Hundreds of players quit because of this feature being taken away. You can notice maybe 2 or 3 PvP guilds around. Nothing to what it was back then. Bring back this perk, thousands of players will come back. Let's make the PvP world something that it was before, please!

Even if this goes bad - which I honestly don't see how it will - it can be undone. As a loyal Pirate for MANY years, I as well as MANY others ask of you this. Please bring back Fast Switch.

Yours truly, Flash X

I'd like to also go a bit more in depth and even add some examples.

A lot of the mods and developers I've seen around are a bit confused on the purpose of bringing back fast switch. It is not to give certain players and unfair advantage by abusing a "glitch." It is to raise the skill cap and fun level of pvp by adding in a faster paced, higher reaction time, and more decision making "feature" to it. This is coming from from a player who has yet to lose a pvp in the current version of TLOPO. As of right now I can currently land every single combo and ability in a single game, however, I don't necessarily take this as an amazing achievement. As it stands now, pvp is very casual, simpleminded, and dull. The skill cap is very low, which is very hard for older players to take in when it was once highly competitive in its fast switch days. Maybe fast switch isn't for everyone, which is somewhat understandable. However, like in many other popular and competitive games, there are options and customizable features you can implement to please all players of all playstyles. I see no good reason not to have a "No fast switch option" toggle, and a "Fast switch option" toggle before creating a pvp game. The no fast switch option can apply to and appease many casual players, while the fast switch option can apply and appease to more competitive and advanced players.

Furthermore, I'd like to add that there are several different examples of a "glitch" in the game that actually improves it. Take the most played game in the world for example in League of Legends. There's a character known as Riven, where you can cancel her abilities and auto attacks to do them several seconds faster than usual. Sounds game breaking right? Except this "glitch" has been endorsed by the developers, as a "feature" in the game that separates the bad Riven players from the good ones. In this random video I found here,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBLs8xCI81M
, you can even see several different combinations being made just for this one feature.

Similarly, like in this video of fast switch here,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFdyI_qsxE
, you can see many different combinations of engages and fights that require a much higher knowledge of your surroundings and a much quicker reaction time than standard pvp today. Do you want to run in with a full vipers, adder, sidewinder, bladestorm, sweep combo? While this gets the most damage out as quick as possible, and sets your abilities on cooldown quicker, it leaves you vulnerable to your opponent getting a combo advantage on you sooner. Do you run in with adder and sidewinder, then go straight to combos, finally finishing your opponent off with a quick vipers and bladestorm? This allows you to get to combos quicker, but sets your abilities on a longer cooldown. These are only a few options accounted for when engaging, but there are countless when actually fighting.

Similar to what Flash X stated, I know many older players and pvpers that were overjoyed when they heard JDP claiming fast switch would be in Pirates Online Rewritten. In fact, a few of them actually registered a few accounts to play TLOPO, but were sadly disappointed to find out fast switch was not in the game and simply lost interest. I promise you, the game would see a peak like no other if fast switch was implemented, and all the biggest and best pvp guilds hosting hundreds of members each from 08-10 would definitely come back.

I'd like to build off the previous messages above.

As a previous fast switch user and player (2009-2013), I can say, it greatly strengthen the pvp community as well as tested capabilities at such an intense pace. Not only did it help pvp performance, but it also gave smaller levels to showcase their true skill. An equal chance for many people to come together in a duel.

Fast Switch is a part of the previous game, and I hope it can for TLOPO. It isn't a new thing its been around for years in POTCO. Anyone can learn it which makes it an equal chance for the community. Many of my close friends will surely come back if it was added, for it was a simple way of enjoyment throughout the game. I would love to see more older people come back, and rejoin the crew from previous times.

-
Blade Catcher

Last edited:
I honestly think this is a bad idea. I played a little bit when fast switch was around and I believe it was a bit on the more unfair side. I mean the fact that you can do multiple skills in just a few seconds just isn't balanced. I vote no. Sorry.
I fail to see how it is unfair, and would like a bit more of an explanation. I encourage reading my reply to the thread, though I'll pick out a good few quotes to help answer your criticism.

"It is not to give certain players and unfair advantage by abusing a "glitch." It is to raise the skill cap and fun level of pvp by adding in a faster paced, higher reaction time, and more decision making "feature" to it."

"However, like in many other popular and competitive games, there are options and customizable features you can implement to please all players of all playstyles. I see no good reason not to have a "No fast switch option" toggle, and a "Fast switch option" toggle before creating a pvp game. The no fast switch option can apply to and appease many casual players, while the fast switch option can apply and appease to more competitive and advanced players."

I honestly think this is a bad idea. I played a little bit when fast switch was around and I believe it was a bit on the more unfair side. I mean the fact that you can do multiple skills in just a few seconds just isn't balanced. I vote no. Sorry.

I'm sorry that Fast Switch did not work out for you mate. There is a handful of other pirates that did not, unfortunately. However, what is one handful compared to legions of those who loved it? Not only those who loved it, those that it brought into this Pirate world!

Reminder: Keep all posts on topic. Any off topic posts will be removed and warnings will be given. Also, keep the discussion in here civil. If you want to argue about player's abilities/skills at pvp, do so IN GAME. Any harassing or flaming posts will be removed and warnings given.

Last edited:
As many of you may not know, I played potco from 2009 until the game closed. When I first started the game, I was a complete noob. I didn't experience what it really felt like to be using a mouse and keyboard and was just some random playing the game for fun.

Once I started playing potco for at least an year I started to enter the pvp scene at the age of 8. There was an old platform that many jumpers back in the day used called "Xfire" as a simple and easy way to share gameplay or communicate. Many posted pvp videos on their profiles such as Spade, Red Jr, Jester, Drizzy, The Butcher, Tryant, etc. which continued to enhance and grow the community of new pvpers to start their journey. Sadly, most of these players not only left the pvp community but also left the game itself after fast switch was removed. Speaking about the new players, I was one of them who was inspired by pvp videos on Xfire that were created by veteran and elite jumpers. I was definitely one of the worst at pvp, but I never gave up due to how much fun fast switch was. I was able to defeat a few level 40-50 players while I was level 31 on my new skinny "Sharkhound". This came down to fast switch. The feature that should be reimplemented into pvp that tests a player's reaction time, speed, and accuracy to hit all skill shots before their opponent has the advantage. After fast switch was removed, pvp became bland. It only consisted of a player's ability on how well they could aim and hit their combos with the added RNG from looted weapons. This GREATLY removed the chances for a great level 30+ pvper to win against a level 50+.

As of right now, TLOPO is at the state where people use "Rusty combos" that relies on a person's abilities to aim and hit combos. This is the closest way to remove any RNG as well as increase the chances for a balanced pvp regardless if you're level 36 for example and you're pvping against a 50. If fast switch were added, pvpers would not only have to maintain their accuracy for hitting their cutlass combos, but will need to focus on landing all their skill shots in a short amount of time for burst DPS onto their opponent. This is fast paced and is LOADS of fun instead of just a simple and boring "Point and click" game mode. The best players in TLOPO right now are very good at hitting their cutlass combos, but there are other pvpers who are AMAZING at fast switch but aren't good at hitting combos. If fast switch were added it would make it more balanced and fun for those types of players that are better at fast switch so they have a chance to win against players who are good at hitting combos. With regards to the growing pvp community for trying to make pvp great again, fast switch is a compulsory element in the game that NEEDS to be added back for player enjoyment. Thank you.

no need for it
“As of right now I can currently land every single combo and ability in a single game, however, I don't necessarily take this as an amazing achievement. As it stands now, pvp is very casual, simpleminded, and dull. The skill cap is very low, which is very hard for older players to take in when it was once highly competitive in its fast switch days.”

Simply put, there are three main aspects to this game besides leveling your pirate: Looting, SvS, PvP. I’m not sure how the others are faring, but pvp in its current state is extremely lackluster and easy. I’m sure from the outside it may even seem like there are hardly any pvpers left, and that’s due to the fact there’s no fast switch. It’s no coincidence the two biggest and best pvp guilds in 2010 left the exact month fast switch was taken away. I’ve already spoken to many members of those former pvp guilds, and they agree there is definitely a need for fast switch. If that need is met, I assure you the game would see an exponential growth in players. Not only would that growth be beneficial to the pvp community, but it would be great for the entire community as a whole.

no need for it

In your case, as a non PvPer, of course you won't see a need for it. This is just for PbPers alike. For example, if you are into making your own ship, you'd continuously go out for Material runs, savvy? However, there are players who just buy a War Frigate and call it a day. -myself included-

For those of us who doesn't fancy certain aspects of the game, it's a no go, of course. I see your point and respect it 100% Angel Bladefury. However, put yourself in our shoes for a moment. Think of the life of a PvPer.

Same regards goes for SvS, in a keen way. Just for instance, if a certain individual enjoys to SvS, you won't find their sailing skill of Treasure sense, maxed. They'd more likely use those valuable skill points towards stronger broadsides, or a longer take cover battle technique.

All in all, those in the PvP world knows what an asset this is. just like getting the best material for your ships, plundering the best weapons or clothing one may wish to find, and taking down the best SvSer out there, everyone has their own bowl of cereal.

Will fast switch only work if its in pvp or outside of pvp as well because its known to cause lag to people nearby

It would be great for the game to bring it back in general. Just as it used to be. Only reason I say this is because it is a technique. (Skill, feature, etc) Out in the world where you are not PvPing, it's great practice to try and jump around while using Fast Switch on enemies, such as Corrupt Stumps, or Fly Traps for beginners.

As for the lag part, it's not really lag you are witnessing. What you are seeing is a flurry of attacks, sometimes if you're good enough, you won't even see how much damage one does due to their Fast Switch ability.

Lag is also caused by Server power, and usage. Depends on your network and lots of other factors. A simple tweak such as Fast Switch will not cause lag. Like I said earlier, it's just a flurry of attacks to quickly defeat an enemy, at land, or in the PvP realm.

It would be great for the game to bring it back in general. Just as it used to be. Only reason I say this is because it is a technique. (Skill, feature, etc) Out in the world where you are not PvPing, it's great practice to try and jump around while using Fast Switch on enemies, such as Corrupt Stumps, or Fly Traps for beginners.

As for the lag part, it's not really lag you are witnessing. What you are seeing is a flurry of attacks, sometimes if you're good enough, you won't even see how much damage one does due to their Fast Switch ability.

Lag is also caused by Server power, and usage. Depends on your network and lots of other factors. A simple tweak such as Fast Switch will not cause lag. Like I said earlier, it's just a flurry of attacks to quickly defeat an enemy, at land, or in the PvP realm.
Enemies outside of pvp would be easier to kill though and yes it is lag because I've fasted switched near people and they would always complain about me doing it near them, I've even lagged myself doing it

Back