filter change direly needed.

lilsynaster

Pirate
listen I can survive not cursing on tlopo however even im trying to sail and mistype something and it completely kills what I have to say there's an issue. honestly how hard would it be just to recreate the filter bot and reprogram it to only filter out "offensive" words. personally i feel like filters add nothing to the game besides frustration. and also this adds an easier way to bypass the filter however big deal. in reality most of the game is late teens and adults and there's already dozens of ways to bypass the filter and get your point across. for people who cant spell to save their life ( people like me) half the time I'm trying to talk to my guild or friends and it comes out something like this... "hey guys wanna yarr with me to yar arrrr arrr yarr" its (curse world) annoying when I have to pick up a dictionary and figure out how to spell what I'm trying to say then i gotta chop it up or something just so the filter doesn't cancel it out and its not even vulgar. there's hundreds of ways to create a filter without ruining the emersiveness, and by far this ones the most annoying despite being unique imo. I've never felt like i was trying to speak Romanian in a game till recently I cant say the filter got worse however it hasn't gotten better either and i truly think @The Crew and community need to get together to figure this out and make a compromise.

@lilsynaster

I understand your frustration with the in-game filter (it has a tendency to be socially inept by most standards), however, unfortunately regardless of the fact that the community demographic is no longer children as Disney had intended it to be, there isn't justification in changing a filter entirely in such a sense since there ARE in fact children still playing the game.

"and there's already dozens of ways to bypass the filter and get your point across."

You aren't wrong, but just because there are small loopholes doesn't mean that it isn't punishable, y'know? The staff here at the Legend of Pirates Online are dedicated to keeping TLOPO as close in family friendly nature as POTCO was all those years ago, that's part of the unspoken agreement that's been set with Disney so that we're capable of keeping the game up and running.

With that being said, I can't say I'm opposed to a redesign of the filter to be more lenient toward potentially innocent phrases or even understanding the full context of a sentence before intentionally filter-texting a pirate's message. However, this isn't a 'soon' thing. For now, we'll have to keep applying duct tape to the antique car and hope for the best until there's a better way of doing so.

yea I knew about the bypass rule and I understand the unspoken agreement the project I worked for basicly had the same thing. however they added an option to turn it off if you wanted. granted I'm not even remotely implying that that's what im trying to suggest. however im just suggesting in the future things like 'go rightr side" or words strung togeather that can incorporate a vulgar meaning if implemented that way however used in a totally innocent context isn't even pre warned that its filtered. that needs looked at and im not sure if just developing a new filter bot would be easier or patch the one in use. however even the online mmo games ive played over the years they just cencored what you couldn't say on tv, or just vulgar phrases. im not opposed to that.

Of course the filter is weak and slow to improve but we definitely need it as it would most certainly be a huge concern for Disney if it were eliminated, they would almost certainly see the abuse and lack of even an attempt to control it as damaging to their brand and shut tlopo down with the quickness. There are lots of trolls out there that do circumvent the filter and even more innocent chats that get filtered so improvements are warranted. Really good filters are, like voice recognition programs, difficult to create since context and nuance are not a computer’s forte so I don’t expect huge and fast improvements, just a commitment to continuously improve seems adequate to me.

The filter is a permanent fixture as we must remain as true to Disney's image as possible. The community is more mature now than it once was however there are still some youngsters who play this game and it is not our image the game reflects so much as Disney's.

If there is anything that Disney takes seriously it is their image as a family friendly entertainment network

Back