Suggestion Firestorm and Storm Chaser Adjustments

Would you like to see these adjustments implemented into the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Yes (OR)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Rumblestrut

Buccaneer
I would appreciate it if you respond below so I can hear your thoughts instead of giving the poll response.
I was disappointed to learn that Firestorm and Storm Chaser hardly have any good upgrades, as for Storm Chaser only gets a higher chance of thunderbolts while Firestorm gets higher chance of firebrand shot. I was surprised that they didn't get any additional upgrades after being upgraded from Streamline like how the other classes do. Maybe this is why players don't sea them out at sea as much, especially Firestorm. For this thread, I will propose some suggestions to help improve the two classes. My reasoning for creating this thread is because for both classes you end up using so much metal, and not receiving ANY armor, even at the highest rank. Secondly, there is no speed adjustment past streamlined even though the two classes are meant to have speed and turning abilities. Yes, obviously people will disagree (i.e. people who will not agree with Storm Chaser since they think it's already good enough) but I will continue to write this thread.

Firestorm: (Original)

Firestorm IV → Firestorm VFirestorm VI
Armor
100% → 100% → 100%
Speed 114% → 114% → 114%
Turning 120% → 120% → 120%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%
Broadside +20% Firebrand Chance → 40% Firebrand Chance +20% → 60% Firebrand Chance +20%

Firestorm: (NEW)

Armor
125% → 130% → 135%
Speed 115% → 115% → 115%
Turning 120% → 120% → 120% OR 120% → 125% → 130%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%
Broadside +20% Firebrand Chance → 40% Firebrand Chance +20% → 60% Firebrand Chance +20%

Storm Chaser: (Original)

Storm Chaser IVStorm Chaser VStorm Chaser VI
Armor
100% → 100% → 100%
Speed 120% → 120% → 120%
Turning 110% → 110% → 110%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%
Broadside +15% Thunderbolt Chance → +30% Thunderbolt Chance +15% → +45% Thunderbolt Chance +15%

Storm Chaser: (NEW)

Armor
115% → 120% → 125%
Speed 120% → 120% → 120% OR 120% → 125% → 130%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%
Broadside +15% Thunderbolt Chance → +30% Thunderbolt Chance +15% → +45% Thunderbolt Chance +15%

Last edited:
Literally any update that makes storm chaser better is good by me, and all of my fellow war sloop comrades.

Speed and Turning are the most important parts of the ship!

P.S - In response to Matthew Sailscarlett: The armor increment would make firebrand and thunderbolt ship types relative to each other, except also it would make all ships stronger against NPC ships, which is very nice.

Literally any update that makes storm chaser better is good by me, and all of my fellow war sloop comrades.

Speed and Turning are the most important parts of the ship!

P.S - In response to Matthew Sailscarlett: The armor increment would make firebrand and thunderbolt ship types relative to each other, except also it would make all ships stronger against NPC ships, which is very nice.

I'm more worried about an SVS standpoint of the armor instead of NPC ships

I suppose it would take more ammunition to sink the ships, but the ships would still be relative in health, so other than that I can't see an issue. In fact, with more health maybe they could even remove or reduce the damage suppression feature in SVS.

I suppose it would take more ammunition to sink the ships, but the ships would still be relative in health, so other than that I can't see an issue. In fact, with more health maybe they could even remove or reduce the damage suppression feature in SVS.

You're forgetting that firestorm and storm chaser have an increase in speed to out run the other types of ships, so making them relatively the same health as other upgrades would make no sense.

You're forgetting that firestorm and storm chaser have an increase in speed to out run the other types of ships, so making them relatively the same health as other upgrades would make no sense.

Yes, but they should get relatively the same health because they sacrifice their cargo space.

Storm Chaser is actually already very powerful, having the second strongest broadside average damage in the game (and the highest reliable average broadside damage) at almost double the damage of regular broadsides.

MNeyOV4.png

Firebrand actually does need a buff. Personally I suggested 100% firebrand chance, because we know that would be really cool and I did the math to show it's still actually pretty weak (only 25% more damage than an unmodified ship). It would be very fun though, and has the benefit of not needing points in round shot!

See the second link in my signature for more information on broadside strengths.

This wouldn't make sense due to both upgrades coming from the streamlined upgrade line. It's meant to have speed and not armor.

"My reasoning for creating this thread is because for both classes you end up using so much metal, and not receiving ANY armor, even at the highest rank. Secondly, there is no speed adjustment past streamlined even though the two classes are meant to have speed and turning abilities."

"My reasoning for creating this thread is because for both classes you end up using so much metal, and not receiving ANY armor, even at the highest rank."

I would appreciate it if you respond below so I can hear your thoughts instead of giving the poll response.
I was disappointed to learn that Firestorm and Storm Chaser hardly have any good upgrades, as for Storm Chaser only gets a higher chance of thunderbolts while Firestorm gets higher chance of firebrand shot. I was surprised that they didn't get any additional upgrades after being upgraded from Streamline like how the other classes do. Maybe this is why players don't sea them out at sea as much, especially Firestorm. For this thread, I will propose some suggestions to help improve the two classes. My reasoning for creating this thread is because for both classes you end up using so much metal, and not receiving ANY armor, even at the highest rank. Secondly, there is no speed adjustment past streamlined even though the two classes are meant to have speed and turning abilities. Yes, obviously people will disagree (i.e. people who will not agree with Storm Chaser since they think it's already good enough) but I will continue to write this thread.

Firestorm: (Original)

Armor
100% → 100% → 100%
Speed 114% → 114% → 114%
Turning 120% → 120% → 120%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%

Firestorm: (NEW)

Armor
125% → 130% → 135%
Speed 115% → 115% → 115%
Turning 120% → 120% → 120% OR 120% → 125% → 130%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%

Storm Chaser: (Original)

Armor
100% → 100% → 100%
Speed 120% → 120% → 120%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%

Storm Chaser: (NEW)

Armor
115% → 120% → 125%
Speed 120% → 120% → 120% OR 120% → 125% → 130%
Cargo 100% → 100% → 100%

While I can see where you are coming from, I do not think these tweaks will add to gameplay value, these are ships propelled by sails and not steam or diesel. If you add armor its like a brick so you cant have speed, and turning. The metal (in my eyes at least) can be for the price of custom broadsides and the extra support you need to have underneath that heavier cannon. You're also shooting magical cannon balls without much a cost but a few seconds. Plus a 45% chance at those magical cannonballs can be unfair to the lower level players in things like svs, or just plundering in a similar spot to these ships. Your proposal is basically saying that these ships should have no downsides in the slightest. It would basically be as op as a ship of the line class ship in the game at the current time of posting this.

I feel that maybe Firestorm should get slightly more health seeing it can come from the cargo tree too but the main focus of the Storm Chaser is speed. Maybe firestorm could have 115% health but I wouldn’t go too much higher. Regardless I agree that both could tweaked but I don’t feel it should be changed significantly.

but I don’t feel it [firestorm] should be changed significantly.

Really? I feel like it should. The fact that they're so incredibly rare, despite being one of the most expensive hulls, is a pretty big red flag to me in terms of how much it needs to be changed.

Really? I feel like it should. The fact that they're so incredibly rare, despite being one of the most expensive hulls, is a pretty big red flag to me in terms of how much it needs to be changed.

Oh it definitely needs to be changed but regardless it’s hard for firestorm to compete with Fortune Hunter mainly cause Fortune Hunter does the same thing and is made to loot on the seas. I personally prefer Firestorm and am going to be using the upgrade but I took it from the cargo tree and I feel it should have some more armor as a result and even a much boosted firebrand chance. That would clearly set it aside from other ship types.

I do not like firebrand at all. It shoots slow, it doesn't go as far, and it's much weaker than thunderbolt. That is precisely the reason why firebrand has a higher chance of occurring. Two things should be changed: 1) Make firebrand max out to 100% chance so skill points aren't needed on round shot, and 2) Make the thunderbolt pathway increase the speed more than it already does.

However, I am speaking in terms of War Sloops. I don't really care for the other ships as much.

My personal ship value from best to worst:
War Sloop --> Storm Chaser
Sloop --> Storm Chaser
Light Sloop --> Storm Chaser
War Frigate --> Copperhead
War Brig --> Copperhead or Fortune Hunter
Frigate --> Copperhead
Brig --> Storm Chaser
War Galleon --> Fortune Hunter
Galleon --> Fortune Hunter
Light Frigate --> Copperhead or Storm Chaser
Light Brig --> Copperhead or Fortune Hunter