First Impression of Forums

Lucifer666

Sea Legs
I don't know how everyone's first impression of this forum is but here is my impression, I was deciding whether or not on joining because first off I was a player back in the days of POTCO but didn't join any forum of theirs don't know if they did have any but either way i did not join. Now that im older im like hey why not join this forum as i have with other games and stuff, well yesterday was my first day, I wanted to be kind so i replied to forums, i replied to one forum though that got me a warning which to my concern is petty because all i said was I like turtles and got a warning for off topic? that's pretty weird like i've never gotten an off topic warning and how they say they dont condone that behaviour, like umm it was literally and innocent reply, are you telling me if i continue replying with pure innocence i may be banned from the forum? So this forum has left a bad impression on the first day i joined.

Actually now I remember that same thing happened to me, pretty sure my first question/comment ever was marked off topic and you're right it leaves a sour taste in your mouth especially for new players. Kinda lame
Exactly it does leave you with that impression that you did something wrong, but in all you didn't.

i replied to one forum though that got me a warning which to my concern is petty because all i said was I like turtles and got a warning for off topic? that's pretty weird like i've never gotten an off topic warning and how they say they dont condone that behaviour, like umm it was literally and innocent reply, are you telling me if i continue replying with pure innocence i may be banned from the forum?

"I like turtles" had nothing to do with the topic of the thread it was posted it on hence why the comment was deleted and an off topic warning given. https://piratesforums.co/threads/why-is-the-game-world-so-quiet-chatwise.30559/ being the thread in question.

That thread was specifically about why ingame chat was inactive compared to what it used to be like in POTCO's days. Off topic posts typically start with a warning then go from there.

This is not some big secret or grand conspiracy. We do remove comments that are not relevant to a discussion. Moreover, we do NOT ban users without perfectly good reason (Spam threads/comments as an example).

I strongly suggest reading https://piratesforums.co/help/terms/ so you know and understand the rules.

Exactly it does leave you with that impression that you did something wrong, but in all you didn't.
Well, the alias name you've chosen does have something to be desired. I've had my problems with the forums, but I don't think I've seen any discrimination due to nicknames. And my first sentence is a perfect example of off topic. So that was just my personal opinion and not anyone or staff opinions at all. And your short comment, although meant in humor probably, was off topic at face value.

Off topic just isn't the comment. It's also likely considered if a reply would have been forced to be off topic. Which with yours, any response would have been off topic for sure. I would say there was no choice.

How would you have taken it if I responded to your OP with "i like hershey's"?

Also be aware that off topic warnings I believe come with a point score and stay for a year. I could be wrong.

Well, the alias name you've chosen does have something to be desired. I've had my problems with the forums, but I don't think I've seen any discrimination due to nicknames. And my first sentence is a perfect example of off topic. So that was just my personal opinion and not anyone or staff opinions at all. And your short comment, although meant in humor probably, was off topic at face value.

Off topic just isn't the comment. It's also likely considered if a reply would have been forced to be off topic. Which with yours, any response would have been off topic for sure. I would say there was no choice.

How would you have taken it if I responded to your OP with "i like hershey's"?

Also be aware that off topic warnings I believe come with a point score and stay for a year. I could be wrong.
I honestly wouldnt care if this discussion went off topic, why? because how else do people make conversations. tell me when you talk new people do you generally stay at one topic the whole entire day? no of course not because they'll be bored of it, topics change during a conversation all the time, it is basic human language. Btw i only chose this name because it is what they use to call me back in H.S both teachers and students and i was totally fine with it ^.^

I honestly wouldnt care if this discussion went off topic, why? because how else do people make conversations. tell me when you talk new people do you generally stay at one topic the whole entire day? no of course not because they'll be bored of it, topics change during a conversation all the time, it is basic human language.
The general point of a forum is organized discussion. Each thread on a forum revolves around a particular topic. Naturally older threads fade away as new discussions become more popular. You are more than welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate category if you want to discuss your love for turtles.

The duration and number of points of an off topic warning can be changed unlike other warnings such as Prohibited content so it's not limited to 1 point/1 year.

I'm not sure if there's a limit to how many points we can add and the duration until the warning/points expires. Imagine a 100 point/9,999 year warning 🙀

As has been stated, we have Terms and Rules here on this forums. The purpose is to keep things organized.

There are several forums, and each forums is in a section according to what type of forum it is.

For example, you posted this thread, your First Impression of Forums, in the TLOPO section and in the forums TLOPO General Discussion. However, this thread would be more appropriately placed in either in the Crow's Nest section and in the Forums Feedback and Suggestion forum, OR in The Tavern section and placed in the Off Topic forum.

Where you placed this however is more appropriate for general discussions on the game TLOPO.

A week 😉

screenshot-n4Jxgp.png

Well I'm gonna call it as I see it and not pull any punches. Your comment in the thread from yesterday "I like turtles" wasn't just an off topic comment, it was trolling plain and simple and appeared to be your first post when you landed here. Your first post here didn't leave a favorable impression of you. Dinging you with a warning and deleting your comment was a good call IMO.

I honestly wouldnt care if this discussion went off topic, why? because how else do people make conversations. tell me when you talk new people do you generally stay at one topic the whole entire day? no of course not because they'll be bored of it, topics change during a conversation all the time, it is basic human language. Btw i only chose this name because it is what they use to call me back in H.S both teachers and students and i was totally fine with it ^.^
And to add to what Davy said above, you're perfectly welcome to make a thread -- in the Off Topic forum (in the "Tavern" section) -- that is specifically meant for posting off topic things like: "I like turtles" or "why is the sky blue?", for example.

We're not trying to stomp on your "freedom of speech". We're simply enforcing the rules that all of us (mods and admins too) abide by to keep the forums an organized place.

Back