Discussion For Any Coders: Preferred Programming/Scripting Language?

What is your preffered Programming/Scripting Language?

• C

• C++

• C#

• Java

• Python

• JavaScript

• Other (Please specify!)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pirate Dog

Honorable Pirate
Just decided to post a little poll for any programmers out there. I am starting to get back into this and I intend to actually get motivated enough to keep trying :)

Any way, what is your favorite programming language?

Mine would be a heavy bias towards C++, it was my first, and although it was probably not the most beginner friendly language I have learned, it was certainly a fun one....

Personally, my favourite would be LUA, mainly because I know a lot more of LUA than any other language, and was my first programming language to ever start learning, and stick to learning. I found it really intriguing and interesting. Even though, I feel like I know a lot, you learn more every day because there is always a better way to do something, which I love. :)

Personally, my favourite would be LUA, mainly because I know a lot more of LUA than any other language, and was my first programming language to ever start learning, and stick to learning. I found it really intriguing and interesting. Even though, I feel like I know a lot, you learn more every day because there is always a better way to do something, which I love. :)

The only Lua I have learned is from Roblox, even then, I will say that if I had to recommend the complete noob beginner to coding, Lua would be my first choice. Very easy, very understandable scripting language to get the hang of.

C++ would me number 1, with C# taking a very close second, mainly because of all the work I had to do with it over the summer and the research I am doing with it now

Well considering i spent a part of my summer learning C# i gotta go with it. Doesn't matter I forgot everything :p

I know quite a bit of Java and PHP, but my strong suit is in markup with HTML5 and CSS3. I need to re-acquaint myself with JavaScript as well.

I swap languages every once-in-a-while, but the language I'm using right now is Java. I know C, C# and C++, but I'm not really willing to spend the time to delve into external libraries. The language I started in was Python. I even got a book on making video games in it, as what I enjoy programming most is games.

My top two have to be Printed English and Cursive English. Not sure which I like the most, though. ;)

Ever seen Spencerian Script: IT IS BEAUTIFUL

upload_2016-9-6_20-15-36.png

You can still get past Windows OS , and go to Dos. I like the programs that you us can see everything and program through ...its antiquarians me, but I do my best proframming w/Windows and getting into the main stream on May PC.

My favourite one HAS to be C !! My main language used to be C++, but I'm not really a fan of the high-level features it offers. It's abstraction adds up to the complexity.

So C++ minus the high-level features is C. And I'm doing Kernel development (contributing to Linux) so I have to use C anyway. And if you know how the hardware works, C makes sense.

C has MANY advantages. For example, you actually know what is going on under the hood, you see when a local variable goes to the program stack (stored in stack frames) and is pointed to by a stack base pointer. Then, maybe you have a struct, you want to dynamically allocate it, you see in your head how the malloc function returns the first byte of the address of the allocated in the heap memory. But maybe you have static/global variables, you see the data section being out of executable code. Knowing how memory works is NECESSARY also for strings and string functions. You can't use neither if you don't know how memory works.(or atleast you can't use them properly)

Also, it is VERY flexible. C can even use the processor's registers. (How cool is that, huh?) You don't have to constatly make copies of a variable/data structure, you just make a pointer and play with the original block of memory. If you want to play with the POINTER of the original memory, you make a pointer to pointer variable (this is useful when you want the original pointer to reference to something else, I've barely used it anywhere, but it's still useful). AND, you can have Assembly in your C code.

With pointers you can also fake a lot of high-level features (only if you need them). For example, in C you can fake OOP. That's how Linux device drivers operate, example :

/*You have to declare those function pointers*/
ssize_t (*device_read) (struct file *, char *, size_t, loff_t *);
ssize_t (*device_write) (struct file *, const char *, size_t, loff_t *);
int (*device_open) (struct inode *, struct file *);
int (*device_release) (struct inode *, struct file *);

/*So that you can assign them here
* And do the job
*/
struct file_operations fops = {
.read = device_read,
.write = device_write,
.open = device_open,
.release = device_release
};

In Linux device drivers faking OOP in C is quite useful, and is not used only with file operations, there are other examples of C object-orientation in the kernel.

Of course, most of these things I mentioned can be done in C++ as well, but I honestly don't like STL, so I'm sticking with C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visual Basic has been my first language but I'm learning C# on the side, I'm actually going to run through a few Python tutorials to see how it is right now...

Back