Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Yes, but should only use latin/romaji characters

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Non.

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Dark Light

Swashbuckler
Firstly, I would post this in a different category(such as support), but I can' post there? hmmm

So, I'm learning different languages, and it wouldn't even be a question if I was gonna name a new pirate that I'm creating something in Spanish or French(languages without or with very few special characters compared to English. However, seeing as there is nothing in TLOPO's ToU about it, I was about to go off and submit my screen name in Japanese katakana. However I want to ask the question here before I get too far ahead of myself. Is it ok if a user like me submits their name in katakana, Kanji, or other languages that use special characters.
I understand all the pros and nays against it, and I probably would half to write the japanese letters in romaji, so that users can read it. But I just want to clear my confusion up and possibly others that would like their name represented in a different language.

I enjoy foreign languages and have studied French. I find it to be a very beautiful language.
In response to your vote, I guess mine would be in favor of Foreign names - translated and written in English. I believe written otherwise, it would cause confusion and frustration trying to communicate within the pirate community.
:pirate ship:

I enjoy foreign languages and have studied French. I find it to be a very beautiful language.
In response to your vote, I guess mine would be in favor of Foreign names - translated and written in English. I believe written otherwise, it would cause confusion and frustration trying to communicate within the pirate community.
:pirate ship:
I see, so basically instead of one having something such as
花さか
It should be written as latin/romaji form(aka Tomaba Satori) because it's easier to call someone out that way rather then the kanji lettering. I can agree to this point.

I play another game that does allow the use of 'characters'. To start with I thought this was great, but I have to say, as time has gone on it does seem to cause problems for the people that use them purely because other players find it difficult to address them.
Because the majority of people don't have those characters set up on their keyboards (bearing in mind that it is a Chinese game, but those servers are the European/English/American ones) it makes PMing them in game pretty much impossible, inviting them to parties, or just straight up knowing what to call them.
Even if it was possible, I would use ASCII characters myself, for these reasons alone :)

Allowing unicode is always awkward, even if you can do everything by mouse click and/or plain ASCII primary names. It's an open invitation to all kinds of scamming, filter evasion and spam shenanigans. How does the system feel about accented characters that are in the standard ASCII tables?

Maybe there could be some sort of added gameplay option to enable or disable names with special characters. If the option was enabled, the name would appear as 花さか, for example, but if it was disabled, it would appear as Tomaba Satori. The option wouldn't affect which version of the name you choose for yourself, but rather which version of the name other players choose to see. For example, if I only knew latin/romaji characters, then I would disable the "special characters" feature so that I would only see the latin/romaji version. A person standing right beside me with the option enabled would see the special character version of the name. Just an idea :)

Firstly, I would post this in a different category(such as support), but I can' post there? hmmm

So, I'm learning different languages, and it wouldn't even be a question if I was gonna name a new pirate that I'm creating something in Spanish or French(languages without or with very few special characters compared to English. However, seeing as there is nothing in TLOPO's ToU about it, I was about to go off and submit my screen name in Japanese katakana. However I want to ask the question here before I get too far ahead of myself. Is it ok if a user like me submits their name in katakana, Kanji, or other languages that use special characters.
I understand all the pros and nays against it, and I probably would half to write the japanese letters in romaji, so that users can read it. But I just want to clear my confusion up and possibly others that would like their name represented in a different language.
The only other alphabet I can read is Cyrillic, and not everyone can do that. If i see anyone with a name in Japanese i will refer to them as "Weeb" because i cant type in that or read it. Roman names it my vote.

My primary concern would be for diacritical markings and anything outside of the Latin Alphabet. My guess would be that names that make use of characters other than what is specified in the Latin alphabet would be rejected outright, most likely due to font issues. Diacritics are a concern because the only way to access them on an standard English keyboard would be through spell checking, autocorrect, or, more likely in the case of games like this, something known as "alt-codes", where special characters can be inputted on Windows by pressing alt+ string of numbers using the number pad.

Chances are, if the desired character isn't registered in the font, it will show up as a question mark, and since punctuation generally aren't allowed in names, will likely be rejected.

You are welcome to try, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But I think your question was already answered by staff concerning non-ASCII characters.

I also think it should be translated to English. Nothing against any other language, but it just makes it easier to communicate and for everyone to have a good time!

I also think it should be translated to English. Nothing against any other language, but it just makes it easier to communicate and for everyone to have a good time!

The main question isn't about names typical in non-English speaking countries, but names using other alphabets. I don't foresee an issue with naming a character something like "Shigeru" as long latin characters are used. For the sea's sake, a member of my guild uses a romanized japanese name.

yes but with the limitation, maybe im trying to communicate with a player using some foreign charcters, i wouldnt be able to call him by name or anything like that

yes but with the limitation, maybe im trying to communicate with a player using some foreign charcters, i wouldnt be able to call him by name or anything like that
Well you can't do that anyway, you have to find the nearest approximation of their name that's on the whitelist.

Back