Forum Censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the original intention of my post has been diluted as more and more people have been adding onto the thread. I have no ill will towards any members of the staff team, I merely would like to see more accountability in their administration. I understand that no one is perfect, but it seems as though whenever an issue arises staff members have historically defended each other and covered up the issues.

This time around, I would like to know that the individuals involved have learned from this mistake and will make better choices moving forward with our user's private data. I work in information security, and nothing is more crucial than knowing your clients trust you with their data - a trust that is clearly lacking with many members of the TLOPO community.

I wish the post was put back up. I don't think someone who did and said what he did if true can ever be trusted to hold a role of power. I don't know a ton about what is going on but from what I have seen and like I said even if half of it is true why should this person still be in the role they are. It is not helping the fact tlopo has not really said anything on this issue.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out as the owner and manager of the forums to say that I'm not looking to sweep anything under the rug or hoping this thread becomes lost to the sands of time. I take full and complete responsibility for our policies and the way they are enforced. We do have a policy against naming and shaming which traditionally applies to staff and community members alike, but I completely understand the optics of removing threads critical of TLOPO or the forums. It has always been difficult to balance between our desire to curtail witch hunting and the need to hold people accountable.

With that said, this is a cross-cutting concern that requires coordination between different teams and people. While I don't think being comprised of volunteers means we should be excused for falling short of our commitment to the community, I do kindly ask for patience as we work toward a response and resolution.

I'll post a proper update on this matter when we have more to share.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to reach out as the owner and manager of the forums to say that I'm not looking to sweep anything under the rug or hoping this thread becomes lost to the sands of time. I take full and complete responsibility for our policies and the way they are enforced. We do have a policy against naming and shaming which traditionally applies to staff and community members alike, but I completely understand the optics of removing threads critical of TLOPO or the forums. It has always been difficult to balance between our desire to curtail witch hunting and the need to hold people accountable.

With that said, this is a cross-cutting concern that requires coordination between different teams and people. While I don't think being comprised of volunteers means we should be excused for falling short of our commitment to the community, I do kindly ask for patience as we work toward a response and resolution.

Thanks Davy, I'm sure many won't be entirely happy until the proper update is posted, but the acknowledgement goes a long way as well.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this post. Good to know things about the original post are being sorted out. All I wanted to hear was that it was noticed.

I post a random troll about legendary loot and my post gets taken down because my crap is "off-topic" and Xeroven posts all this randomness that is obviously "off-topic", not even loot related, and his stuff doesn't get removed?

@ArabellaDrummond why are you bias? Why did you pick on my comment? How is a loot comment in regards to TLOPO more off-topic than this comment made by him? I guess you're just "moderating" threads at random.
:scary mary:

Rhetorical question. Don't answer. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I post a random troll about legendary loot and my post gets taken down because my crap is "off-topic" and Xeroven posts all this randomness that is obviously "off-topic", not even loot related, and his stuff doesn't get removed?

@ArabellaDrummond why are you bias? Why did you pick on my comment? How is a loot comment in regards to TLOPO more off-topic than this comment made by him? I guess you're just "moderating" threads at random.

[/QUOTE]
agree 100%

[/QUOTE]

The posts you're referring to had open reports which were resolved. Things can take time to sort through. The only reason i didn't remove the comments myself is because i am directly involved in this thread as per the reply i posted on page one here https://piratesforums.co/threads/forum-censorship.30921/#post-398196.

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to continue moderating this thread as the moderator handbook explicitly states "Moderators may not handle issues that they are directly involved in, should one ever come up".

I'll admit freely i made a mistake and removed your comment (Off topic as it was) after i'd posted my reply as i mistakenly assumed given the tired state i was in that it was posted before my reply not after hence what i said about being directly involved.

No one is perfect. We're all human. We all make mistakes.

I've nothing to hide nor has that been the case in the 3(?) years i've been a PF moderator.

I rarely comment here, and I hope that when I do it is in a respectful way, however Arabella, I must say that in my opinion you dig a deeper hole for yourself whenever you make a post. I can empathise with the idea that people are not at their best when they are tired but would suggest, given how upset members of the community (who clearly love this game) are about this issue, that if you are too tired to moderate your own public actions or language, it might be better if you desisted from agressive commenting or deleting or doing whatever else you have the power to do and let someone else take over the content moderation task until you are in a position to act more professionally.

In the post that you refer to, you called a comment made by the OP 'asinine' This is, in my view, an extremely disrespectful ad hominem attack, potentially hurtful, and especially uncalled for in that it seems that your evidence for this was that you made the same correction three times in a single post that followed the one that the OP made. You then accuse him of posting 'misinformation' and making 'false accusations'. These are serious allegations and not ones to be made lightly by someone in a position of power as moderators are. However I would have thought that his mistake was entirely forgivable; he was not to know about the review policy at the time, and all you had to do was politely enlighten him. As you state about yourself, 'No one is perfect. We're all human. We all make mistakes'. Incidentally, given that you recognise this about yourself, an apology in this latest post of yours might have calmed the atmosphere somewhat.

I was personally very encouraged by Davy Darkrage's post earlier. He demonstrated that it is possible for someone in a position of authority to treat community concerns seriously and respectfully. If other staff were as thoughtful and professional, it might be that this very sad situation would never have arisen.

Take care xxx

Hi everyone,

Thanks for acknowledging this Davy

I rarely comment here, and I hope that when I do it is in a respectful way, however Arabella, I must say that in my opinion you dig a deeper hole for yourself whenever you make a post. I can empathise with the idea that people are not at their best when they are tired but would suggest, given how upset members of the community (who clearly love this game) are about this issue, that if you are too tired to moderate your own public actions or language, it might be better if you desisted from agressive commenting or deleting or doing whatever else you have the power to do and let someone else take over the content moderation task until you are in a position to act more professionally.

In the post that you refer to, you called a comment made by the OP 'asinine' This is, in my view, an extremely disrespectful ad hominem attack, potentially hurtful, and especially uncalled for in that it seems that your evidence for this was that you made the same correction three times in a single post that followed the one that the OP made. You then accuse him of posting 'misinformation' and making 'false accusations'. These are serious allegations and not ones to be made lightly by someone in a position of power as moderators are. However I would have thought that his mistake was entirely forgivable; he was not to know about the review policy at the time, and all you had to do was politely enlighten him. As you state about yourself, 'No one is perfect. We're all human. We all make mistakes'. Incidentally, given that you recognise this about yourself, an apology in this latest post of yours might have calmed the atmosphere somewhat.

I was personally very encouraged by Davy Darkrage's post earlier. He demonstrated that it is possible for someone in a position of authority to treat community concerns seriously and respectfully. If other staff were as thoughtful and professional, it might be that this very sad situation would never have arisen.

Take care xxx

It is wholly asinine to assume that TLOPO staff are trying to cover up a thread or comment when it mysteriously vanishes when the thread or comment is concerning the TLOPO staff themselves.

Kappa

I'm going to refrain from commenting on the true point of this thread because I don't know the full story and it is none of my business and I trust Davy Darkrage will do what's best for everyone just like he has done in the past.

But I will say Moderating a forums is a tireless and thankless job. (Some may know that I used to be a Moderator on a different forums years ago). It's not easy for ANYONE. Dealing with all the troll posts, drama, rule breakers etc it gets tiring and depressing. And there's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes. I think everyone needs to be more understanding and realize that. It's not an easy job and not just anyone can do it. Like Arabella Drummond said above No one is perfect. We're all humans. We all make mistakes.
Also Respect/forgiveness goes both ways.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on the true point of this thread because I don't know the full story and it is none of my business and I trust Davy Darkrage will do what's best for everyone just like he has done in the past.

But I will say Moderating a forums is a tireless and thankless job. (Some may know that I used to be a Moderator on a different forums years ago). It's not easy for ANYONE. Dealing with all the troll posts, drama, rule breakers etc it gets tiring and depressing. And there's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes. I think everyone needs to be more understanding and realize that. It's not an easy job and not just anyone can do it. Like Arabella Drummond said above No one is perfect. We're all humans. We all make mistakes.
Also Respect/forgiveness goes both ways.
I haven't moderated a forum before so I am not going to comment on that aspect concerning the actual work that is involved. What I will say is that there have been multiple occasions that similar situations have come up and through all the crap that was thrown the communities way, being told they were doing "internal investigations" and such, the community was pretty forgiving as regards to the already long history this particular staff member who was brought up in this post has.

Another thing, the reality is that the TLOPO forums in the grand scheme of things, are not very active at all compared to other forums. It is really quite astounding. I would imagine splitting the workload between however many moderators they have on the one majorly active post a day isn't too much work (lets be real, most threads now a-days are just old threads that are still being commented on, necro'd threads or posts in threads that are "continuous" like the counting thead) which is why I struggle to understand the point of moderating forums being hard work as it pertains to these specific forums.

On the topic of inactive forums, is the post in question still in a review queue...? I would find it hard to imagine there being hundreds of threads and comments that warranted being placed in there in the 3 or 4 days since this thread was posted. Either it is still in the review queue and the team are just taking their sweet time with it in a time when they probably shouldn't, or they didn't feel it was necessary to comment on an issue that has been a hot topic since the inception of TLOPO and has the very real potential to be detrimental to a community that is already diminishing.

If you want to blame someone for this, you can blame me instead. As you can probably imagine, there are a bunch of open reports for this thread. I'd asked staff to defer acting on them (unless particularly egregious) for the time being, since I imagine removing a bunch of off-topic or silly posts without addressing the broader issue would reflect poorly on us. This was after your initial post was removed (for which you did not receive an infraction).

I struggle to understand the point of moderating forums being hard work as it pertains to these specific forums.
Moderation is difficult on any platform, and the most difficult parts generally have little to nothing to do with the volume of work or the tedious "house keeping" tasks. You are responsible for making tough decisions and putting yourself in a position where you are naturally going to be antagonized.

On the topic of inactive forums, is the post in question still in a review queue...?
Yep. We're not in any particular rush to get it out of the queue either, given the OP of this thread links to an archived version of it anyways. I'd rather we take our time and get things right. This involves multi-day discussions between different people across the country in different time zones, each with other day to day commitments (I'm currently writing this on my lunch break), which is why I ask for patience.

The posts you're referring to had open reports which were resolved. Things can take time to sort through. The only reason i didn't remove the comments myself is because i am directly involved in this thread as per the reply i posted on page one here https://piratesforums.co/threads/forum-censorship.30921/#post-398196.

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to continue moderating this thread as the moderator handbook explicitly states "Moderators may not handle issues that they are directly involved in, should one ever come up".

I'll admit freely i made a mistake and removed your comment (Off topic as it was) after i'd posted my reply as i mistakenly assumed given the tired state i was in that it was posted before my reply not after hence what i said about being directly involved.

No one is perfect. We're all human. We all make mistakes.

I've nothing to hide nor has that been the case in the 3(?) years i've been a PF moderator.
If you want to blame someone for this, you can blame me instead. As you can probably imagine, there are a bunch of open reports for this thread. I'd asked staff to defer acting on them (unless particularly egregious) for the time being, since I imagine removing a bunch of off-topic or silly posts without addressing the broader issue would reflect poorly on us. This was after your initial post was removed (for which you did not receive an infraction).

Moderation is difficult on any platform, and the most difficult parts generally have little to nothing to do with the volume of work or the tedious "house keeping" tasks. You are responsible for making tough decisions and putting yourself in a position where you are naturally going to be antagonized.

Yep. We're not in any particular rush to get it out of the queue either, given the OP of this thread links to an archived version of it anyways. I'd rather we take our time and get things right. This involves multi-day discussions between different people across the country in different time zones, each with other day to day commitments (I'm currently writing this on my lunch break), which is why I ask for patience.

Thank you both for replying. I appreciate the feedback.

I was originally only trying to lighten the mood of the situation with a dumb joke.

My apologies for that part of it.

Last edited:
This game is literally just mods picking and choosing their favorites. Countless times players that are friends or suck ups to mods are either untermed or allowed to play the game freely with either no punishment or allowed to ban evade
200%:iagree:
Factions, tiers, drama, and we should always WHY

Hi again everyone,

I know you have all been waiting for formal acknowledgement for some time now. You may read the TLOPO team's official response to the various discussions which have surfaced over the past week here:

These discussions have helped to shape the response and we appreciate everyone's patience in getting it out.

I also want to note that a follow up response as it pertains to the forums is forthcoming from yours truly, but I want to give the TLOPO response time to breathe first.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back