Request Forum Disciplinary Policy and Actions

Captn Jaq

Notorious Pirate
Can you guys please be stricter on repeat offenders in the future?

Please reiterate the policy in regards to what behaviors warrant what action from the staff.

In addition, when will the Terms and Rules be clarified and undated to reflect the alliance/coupling/sponsorship/merger that PF.co has with TLOPO?

Can you guys please be stricter on repeat offenders in the future?
While we dislike trolling as much as the next person, what the troll says needs to actually violate a forum rule. We need to be fair and impartial - just because we don't like someone doesn't mean we'll just ban them instantly. If they cause enough disruption, commotion, and have broken rules, THEN we will can them.

Please reiterate the policy in regards to what behaviors warrant what action from the staff.
Everything we are able to take action on is detailed in the current Terms and Rules. We give out notices and warnings depending on what the infraction was.

In addition, when will the Terms and Rules be clarified and undated to reflect the alliance/coupling/sponsorship/merger that PF.co has with TLOPO?
This is in the works right now. We have a rough draft of the new rules written up that are clarified and updated now that the community is older and requiring less restriction. I think we are waiting on our NSFW functionality from @Davy Darkrage (it was completed, but Davy accidentally bricked it all :p).

Let me know if I can clarify or explain something further. Thanks for your inquiries!

While we dislike trolling as much as the next person, what the troll says needs to actually violate a forum rule. We need to be fair and impartial - just because we don't like someone doesn't mean we'll just ban them instantly. If they cause enough disruption, commotion, and have broken rules, THEN we will can them.

Everything we are able to take action on is detailed in the current Terms and Rules. We give out notices and warnings depending on what the infraction was.

liking or disliking is just a byproduct of the infringing actions they are doing. if the staff and other members are able to identify them as a troll then their actions are in by their very nature breaking the rules -- indirect or not -- of flaming, drama, and language.

in a matter of speaking, i believe that the site's rules unconsciously allow abusers to bend and loop through the guidelines. the guidelines allow the trolls to play and create animosity for too long a time before action is taken against them.

what are stated are guidelines but no repercussions or consequences for activity or behavior that hurt the viewers and the morale or break the rules of this website and its efforts.

the fear of being called prejudice is hindering the course of proper justice.

if anything. if nothing else can come from this post or thread, i leave my petition for the pf.co staff to incorporate a (ANTI-)TROLLING clause/entry in the updated Terms of Services and Rules.

Trolls are abusive -- plain and simple -- and simply not feeding them won't cut it anymore.

liking or disliking is just a byproduct of the infringing actions they are doing. if the staff and other members are able to identify them as a troll then their actions are in by their very nature breaking the rules -- indirect or not -- of flaming, drama, and language.

in a matter of speaking, i believe that the site's rules unconsciously allow abusers to bend and loop through the guidelines. the guidelines allow the trolls to play and create animosity for too long a time before action is taken against them.

what are stated are guidelines but no repercussions or consequences for activity or behavior that hurt the viewers and the morale or break the rules of this website and its efforts.

the fear of being called prejudice is hindering the course of proper justice.

if anything. if nothing else can come from this post or thread, i leave my petition for the pf.co staff to incorporate a (ANTI-)TROLLING clause/entry in the updated Terms of Services and Rules.

Trolls are abusive -- plain and simple -- and simply not feeding them won't cut it anymore.
In our new rules we have a rule pertaining to trolling. They are almost ready to be released to everyone to make sure everyone agrees/likes the revisions, but as John said we are waiting on Davy still

i suppose it goes down to my understanding of the rules and the breaking of them.

Last edited:
Fighting fire with fire just results in a bigger fire...
On a community forums platform such as this, yes. As far as doing so via other methods, I disagree because the one lesson a lot of trolls took away from (in playing POTCO) is that there was little to no accountability held outright against them. As such, why should someone whom breaks the rules online feel any differently about doing so if someone (or others) do not hold them personally accountable according to their actions.
i suppose it goes down to my understanding of the rules and the breaking of them.
As a past staff member here, I can vouch that the decisions made are not one-dimensional. What I mean to say is, various members of staff have adequate time and opportunity to provide their own input on how someone specifically should be dealt with. As such, oftentimes certain things are not reacted upon as quickly as you might expect (due to the level of staff fairness and 'collaboration' which is experienced here). That is a good thing.

When we couple the above with the basic (troll) understanding that they oftentimes choose to position themselves right up to the edge of breaking a rule but don't necessarily break it, the odds themselves are not always to the staff's own favor (based upon the level of fairness held as a priority here).

I would say every now and then there is leniency on repeat offenders, but ultimately these decisions are made as a whole by a group of staffers. I know in dealing with some users, who will go unnamed out of respect for the staff (not the offenders), that often "offenses" aren't technically "offenses" but just a quick flirtation with the red line drawn. I feel the best way to answer your second part as to what gets what (behavior to punishment) though would be this:

Each person, repeat offender or not, is different.

Two different people may have never sweated on here ever.

One might have done it on accident, one might have done it purposely and used the profane word to inflict insult on someone or something. Context is one of the main factors that go into the punishment. There might be a general guideline but ultimately it is a case by case basis.

When we couple the above with the basic (troll) understanding that they oftentimes choose to position themselves right up to the edge of breaking a rule but don't necessarily break it, the odds themselves are not always to the staff's own favor (based upon the level of fairness held as a priority here).

So if I were to titter myself along the line of trollish behavior in order to get rid of a vicious troll, those who do come on here to hurt the staff and devs I care about, that will be fine? Regardless of the fact that my intent is for good reasons, but because my actions are done in a barely rule infringing way?

.. but what is fair? Sometimes fairness becomes too gray on matters of harassment and rape/molestation (within a very heavy, real world sense) due to technicality.

There might be a general guideline but ultimately it is a case by case basis.

And my question is: why isn't that general guide not stated?

I know my post will be read as heated because that's how it normally goes when I post material of this nature, but I am grateful that "Troll" behavior isn't being ignored in the update. Since the partnership/merger of Pf.Co and TLOPO, things have only become more abusive -- and the emergence of Retribution won't make it any less gentler.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything I have to say on the matter has been touched on above, but I will give my thoughts nonetheless.

This is in the works right now. We have a rough draft of the new rules written up that are clarified and updated now that the community is older and requiring less restriction.
In our new rules we have a rule pertaining to trolling.
As per above, a revised set of rules are in the works. Among the changes are a clause pertaining to trolling. When the changes are ready, we will be sharing them with the community for feedback.

I think we are waiting on our NSFW functionality from @Davy Darkrage (it was completed, but Davy accidentally bricked it all :p).
They are almost ready to be released to everyone to make sure everyone agrees/likes the revisions, but as John said we are waiting on Davy still
I just want to confirm that I am the reason the new rules have been in limbo for so long. The other staff here have been very quick to collaborate with each other on revisions, and have been waiting on me for a while now. I'm trying to get this wrapped up as soon as possible. Special thanks to @Captain Redhorn for coming up with the initial draft/changes.

Well, you're not wrong... but there are reasons for that which I believe are vital to the overall integrity of our moderation practices. I'm certainly not trying to claim we've never been too lenient where we should have been more strict, or too strict where we should have been more lenient, but overall we do try to follow protocol that considers:

1) Discussion should be as uninhibited as possible without creating a problematic atmosphere.
2) Moderators should interfere only when rules are actually being broken.
3) Moderation decisions should be made collaboratively.

The first point is extremely difficult to balance. It's about how we come up with and interpret rules in the first place. Moderation is hard. A lot of the time, it's not easy to figure out the most appropriate thing to do. It can vary a lot on a case-by-case basis. The second part is a little easier, but sometimes it means we can't step in even if something has the potential to be troublesome... and other times it means we have to step in even when we would rather not. The last part is key to understanding how we make decisions, and why some things take so long to deal with. Often people walk a fine line with the rules, so we have to talk about it before taking action. We try to see things from both sides (I play devil's advocate a lot, as do others), and sometimes we disagree about what to do. So we have to hash it out and reach a compromise or consensus.

Shamus and Sparky both put it very well:
As a past staff member here, I can vouch that the decisions made are not one-dimensional. What I mean to say is, various members of staff have adequate time and opportunity to provide their own input on how someone specifically should be dealt with. As such, oftentimes certain things are not reacted upon as quickly as you might expect (due to the level of staff fairness and 'collaboration' which is experienced here). That is a good thing.

I would say every now and then there is leniency on repeat offenders, but ultimately these decisions are made as a whole by a group of staffers. I know in dealing with some users, who will go unnamed out of respect for the staff (not the offenders), that often "offenses" aren't technically "offenses" but just a quick flirtation with the red line drawn. I feel the best way to answer your second part as to what gets what (behavior to punishment) though would be this:

Each person, repeat offender or not, is different.

Two different people may have never sweated on here ever.

One might have done it on accident, one might have done it purposely and used the profane word to inflict insult on someone or something. Context is one of the main factors that go into the punishment. There might be a general guideline but ultimately it is a case by case basis.

Fighting fire with fire just results in a bigger fire. I know trolls are annoying, but John had a point. If they're not breaking the rules, they can't be punished. The punishment comes after the crime, not before. So just relax a little bit.
I agree. While it can lend itself to prolonged periods of unrest, we really aim to be reactive rather than proactive about moderation.

So if I were to titter myself along the line of trollish behavior in order to get rid of a vicious troll, those who do come on here to hurt the staff and devs I care about, that will be fine? Regardless of the fact that my intent is for good reasons, but because my actions are done in a barely rule infringing way?
I'm not going to give anything like that an explicit green-light. We do try to keep a sharp eye on anyone who gets too close to the boundaries of the rules. Intent is something we take into consideration, and it's probably one of the most important factors in making decisions for these kinds of cases. If someone is only here to be a nuisance, we are much more likely to intervene. If someone is careful and seems as though they are here to contribute and respond to legitimate discussion without crossing the line, we try not to get in the way... even if they're cutting it close.

And my question is: why isn't that general guide not stated?
The "general guidelines" would be the rules. Reminds me of a certain quote from the first Pirates movie. If there's further information regarding moderation practices that you (or anyone) feel is deserving of official clarification, I am more than happy to give that attention (time permitting).

As always, anyone is free to report content they want us to review. And if anyone ever has a question about why a particular action was (or wasn't) taken or feels an erroneous decision was made, they are welcome to contact me or another administrator for an explanation or correction.

@Davy Darkrage, will the general consequences for breaking the rules be stated?
I think I can answer this one for you. Basically, when sending a warning for a content that violate a rule, the moderators first report it and discuss it. By general consensus we agree on what the rule being broken is. Then, one of the moderators sends a warning which is just a private message saying that you've broken the rule. When a warning is sent, warning points are adding to the user's account. They are temporary points that keep track of how many rules a user has broken and the severity of the warnings given. For example, Flaming gives 3 points which last for 6 months. Off topic posts, which are obviously much less severe are 1 point that lasts 2 weeks.

Once a user reaches 9 warning points they are banned for a day. Every 3(?) points after that they get another ban for slightly more time. Once a user has reached over 15 points we discuss a longer ban (week-month). If they return after that longer ban and continue to cause more trouble, we may pursue a permanent ban. We rarely give bans at all, even for just a day.

Hope this helps :)

I think I can answer this one for you. Basically, when sending a warning for a content that violate a rule, the moderators first report it and discuss it. By general consensus we agree on what the rule being broken is. Then, one of the moderators sends a warning which is just a private message saying that you've broken the rule. When a warning is sent, warning points are adding to the user's account. They are temporary points that keep track of how many rules a user has broken and the severity of the warnings given. For example, Flaming gives 3 points which last for 6 months. Off topic posts, which are obviously much less severe are 1 point that lasts 2 weeks.

Once a user reaches 9 warning points they are banned for a day. Every 3(?) points after that they get another ban for slightly more time. Once a user has reached over 15 points we discuss a longer ban (week-month). If they return after that longer ban and continue to cause more trouble, we may pursue a permanent ban. We rarely give bans at all, even for just a day.

Hope this helps :)

Finally! :D a breakdown! .. will this be c/p onto the Guidelines/Rules for ppl who think of doing malicious things will know what's coming to them?

This reminds me of the point system with driving licenses. :p

Back