Discussion Founder Discussion Poll

How would you like Founder Status to be earned in TLOPO?

• Total voters

Captain Redhorn

Site Founder
I'm not saying the TLOPO team is going to do whatever is decided here, but they seem to like our input, so I thought I would pose the question to everyone: How would you like founder status to be handled in TLOPO? (granted that this is a long way away)

Personally, I would like it to be the same as it was in potco, given to anyone who created an account in the first few weeks. This way it would be available to all, yet still exclusive.

Any thoughts? :)

Disclaimer: This thread is in no way official regarding how founder status will be decided in TLOPO.

I have mixed feelings about it. Most of the founders that I knew in game were courteous and respectful leaders who demonstrated how to play by exemplary conduct both in and out of the game. I knew of a few bad apples but the majority of those I knew were beyond reproach. I would love to have the gold coin but I think in reality I would feel like I did not deserve it. I think TLOPO should come up with something different, something new, something unique for those who are considered founders of the game (assuming they get any distinction at all).

I have mixed feelings about it. Most of the founders that I knew in game were courteous and respectful leaders who demonstrated how to play by exemplary conduct both in and out of the game. I knew of a few bad apples but the majority of those I knew were beyond reproach. I would love to have the gold coin but I think in reality I would feel like I did not deserve it. I think TLOPO should come up with something different, something new, something unique for those who are considered founders of the game (assuming they get any distinction at all).
One way is for the TLOPO staff to award players that were extremely helpful. For instance, a particular user may have sent in a lot of bug reports and feedback that significantly helped remake the game. My only concern is that this can lead to a lot of drama and hurt feelings.

I voted for those who joined within the first few weeks of full launch, although I was hoping this meant the Open Beta testers, or even the Semi-Open Beta Testers. Alpha testers wouldn't have made much sense to me as Alpha pirates will be wiped from what I've heard. I don't see any problem with having the badge, but my biggest concern is that pretty much everyone would be a founder. I honestly doubt TLOPO will get very many users registering after the first few weeks, as most of the people who ever will play TLOPO are probably already closely monitoring the project waiting for its open launch.

I voted for those who joined within the first few weeks of full launch, although I was hoping this meant the Open Beta testers, or even the Semi-Open Beta Testers. Alpha testers wouldn't have made much sense to me as Alpha pirates will be wiped from what I've heard. I don't see any problem with having the badge, but my biggest concern is that pretty much everyone would be a founder. I honestly doubt TLOPO will get very many users registering after the first few weeks, as most of the people who ever will play TLOPO are probably already closely monitoring the project waiting for its open launch.
You'd be surprised, POTCO had 3.7 million registered players. I'd say 2 years from now TLOPO will have around 200,000 users

You'd be surprised, POTCO had 3.7 million registered players. I'd say 2 years from now TLOPO will have around 200,000 users
I honestly think that's quite the stretch. POTCO may have had that many registered players, but I'm sure a large amount of those accounts were inactive or were alts. I know I had at least 2 accounts (probably way more to be honest). And even if POTCO players would be interested in playing it again, who's to say they'd know where to go? Would they even remember the game to begin with? I think TLOPO will get 20,000 registered users after the initial startup wave hits and then it will slowly increase to maybe 100,000 or less within the first year or so, but the number of users who register will decline over time unless TLOPO finds the way to advertise. But at the same time, TLOPO has no need to advertise as they don't profit and really, when you think about it, the more people who find them the worse off they are financially. The more people, the more cost for servers. And since TLOPO has absolutely zero revenue from what we know of, it would be up to the staff to find a way to both put up the advertisements and host the new servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think that's quite the stretch. POTCO may have had that many registered players, but I'm sure a large amount of those accounts were inactive or were alts. I know I had at least 2 accounts (probably way more to be honest). And even if POTCO players would be interested in playing it again, who's to say they'd know where to go? Would they even remember the game to begin with? I think TLOPO will get 20,000 registered users after the initial startup wave hits and then it will slowly increase to maybe 100,000 or less within the first year or so, but the number of users who register will decline over time unless TLOPO finds the way to advertise. But at the same time, TLOPO has no need to advertise as they don't profit and really, when you think about it, the more people who find them the worse off they are financially. The more people, the more cost for servers. And since TLOPO has absolutely zero revenue from what we know of, it would be up to the staff to find a way to both put up the advertisements and host the new servers.
You do make good points there

I don't really like the idea of a founder badge anymore. It's pretty much an exclusive club which some people will never be able to join once the badges have all been taken.

But that's just my two cents.
I agree with these. In POTCO, founders who played at the time of the game's closing were almost always mastered, kind pirates who were nice to everyone and knowledgeable of the game.

If founder was implemented in any way in TLOPO, you would undoubtedly have those cringy jumper kids who started to appear after the lost weapons update have founder badges. To me, and I'm sure to others, it wouldn't be right to tarnish the memory of the founders in POTCO by allowing people like that to have founder.

I have an idea on how to reward early players without having the founder badge, though. If you participate in Beta, you get a silver (B) badge which stands for Beta tester, and an exclusive Crossbones Bandana. If you participate in Alpha, you get a gold (A) badge which stands for Alpha tester, and an exclusive Loyalty Bandana. You will also get the rewards for Beta Tester. Since this project is so closely followed by the demographic of the POTCO community still interested playing the game again, I'm not really expected a huge jump in members from open beta to full release. So there wouldn't be a special badge or item for players who start to play right after the full release.

Last edited:
I agree with these. In POTCO, founders who played at the time of the game's closing were almost always mastered, kind pirates who were nice to everyone and knowledgeable of the game.

If founder was implemented in any way in TLOPO, you would undoubtedly have those cringy jumper kids who started to appear after the lost weapons update have founder badges. To me, and I'm sure to others, it wouldn't be right to tarnish the memory of the founders in POTCO by allowing people like that to have founder.

I have an idea on how to reward early players without having the founder badge, though. If you participate in Beta, you get a silver (B) badge which stands for Beta tester, and an exclusive Crossbones Bandana. If you participate in Alpha, you get a gold (A) badge which stands for Alpha tester, and an exclusive Loyalty Bandana. You will also get the rewards for Beta Tester. Since this project is so closely followed by the demographic of the POTCO community still interested playing the game again, I'm not really expected a huge jump in members from open beta to full release. So there wouldn't be a special badge or item for players who start to play right after the full release.
I wouldn't mind something like this, I believe the founders badge should go to certain select players chosen by the staff for example, Roger Gunshot, he helps so many people in the IRC who have questions and things of that nature

If you participate in Beta, you get a silver (B) badge which stands for Beta tester, and an exclusive Crossbones Bandana. If you participate in Alpha, you get a gold (A) badge which stands for Alpha tester, and an exclusive Loyalty Bandana. You will also get the rewards for Beta Tester.

+1 i like this idea

A Founders designation would mean something special if the individuals were truly "founders"...like a kickstarter campaign, where they put some real investment in the project. Just showing up first in line to signup isn't really founding anything. Any award or honor should require time, energy and input. If you want Founders, then the current staff should be the recipients. If you want something others can aspire to, then make a special award. i.e. on POTCO we got access to the test servers by not having any complaints against our pirates, having more than 1 fully mastered pirate, submitting valid bug reports, providing suggestions for new features. These type of things show involvement. If these type of pirates were "honored" with a gold name or other indicator, it would tell newbies that these are people who have been around and would be good sources of information, etc. This type of "badge" would be an honor to display and useful in the game. I met several Founders on POTCO and after chatting with them for a bit discovered that they signed up in the first weeks of play...got the status...but hadn't played for a couple years. They were just checking back to see what changes were made. So seeing a Founder gold name left me quite unimpressed.

There's a problem with the kickstarter campaign. The developers for TLOPO cannot make a profit off of this game, as Disney still owns the copyright on it, and could shut them down and bring them to court if they found out any money was being made. Did some people have the founder status and stop playing? Yes. Did other people not have the founder status and stop playing? Yes. Some might just stop playing for their own reasons, and it's not really that big of a deal.

Now, onto my idea. (If you can call a half-formed thing that I thought of while typing this an idea) I think that people who actively participate in the community, like you said Beau, should get the founder status, as it shows that they were committed to helping bringing this game back, whether by sending in bug reports, helping other players, or doing something to contribute to the game in some way. (not monetarily of course) That's just my 2 cents on the whole founders thing.

I'm not saying the TLOPO team is going to do whatever is decided here, but they seem to like our input, so I thought I would pose the question to everyone: How would you like founder status to be handled in TLOPO?
If it doesn't benefit everyone (to where some are rewarded while others are not), it shouldn't be done because of the fact that on POTCO there were a lot of people whom were rightfully chosen by Disney representatives.

Not to down-play anyone associated within the TLOPO-team at all, there isn't enough "authority" for any one of them (or any one of us) to designate such a reward to any one player much like there is no "authority" for anyone to call POTCO's code their own...with the exception of tweaks made where a person's own time and energy was put into developing said tweak. Does that make sense, to ye pirates? :confused: I hope it does.

Alas, I don't mean to be a buzz-killer here but to be perfectly honest a reward system will always cause at least someone to feel as if they have been left-out of the process. If further division is what ye want, then ignore everything I said and "go for it"....

i think they should do it some other way, because right now there is ABOUT 1200 alpha key testers and that is a lot of founders for how small the game is, at least right now, most of the alpha testers dont even test so they dont deserve founders, they should make it so those with an alpha key that are either a certain level, sent in a certain amount of bugs, certain amount of time played will get founders. Or some other way because all of those can be easily done without even testing except for the first. All im saying is that we should have founders, but not too many, and only those that DESERVE it.

Back