Discussion Founder Discussion Poll

How would you like Founder Status to be earned in TLOPO?

• Total voters
Back in the days of POTCO, the founders coin along with the yellow nametag associated with it, was given to players who participated in the beta testing phase before the game was officially launched. Seeing as how we've all helped, even if it was just for seeing how much the servers can handle, not just submitting feedback on bugs and whatnot, we all somewhat deserve a founders badge.

Either give it to players who registered their account and logged in at least once during the semi-open alpha, or are participating in the beta.

^ The problem with that is probably at least 75% of the potential player base are beta testers. Meaning everyone who is likely to play this game, is already playing. TLOPO isn't exactly a spring chicken. I doubt we'll get a lot of new players after the official release. You may, or may not see that as a problem. But the point of having a founder's badge is to be "special". If my prediction comes true, it'll be nothing more than a common sight.

I some what agree with wily, i don't think the player base will overwhelmingly rise after the official launch of the full game, I think this game already has good base but id love to be wrong, i hope this game goes big once the release but i just don't think so. and as much i would love a founder tag i just started play at the beginning of the year, so i doubt id be in the running for one. The only stipulations for a founder tag that i could see work would be Alpha players, beta key holders, or pre 2013 update players. if they gave them out to all beta players they would more than likely be a dime a dozen

^ The problem with that is probably at least 75% of the potential player base are beta testers. Meaning everyone who is likely to play this game, is already playing. TLOPO isn't exactly a spring chicken. I doubt we'll get a lot of new players after the official release. You may, or may not see that as a problem. But the point of having a founder's badge is to be "special". If my prediction comes true, it'll be nothing more than a common sight.

I am aware of how many people are currently participating in the beta testing, but by limiting it to key holders, even though they're more or less irrelevant at this point, would make people mad as they simply never had the luck of finding a key, myself included who have been playing since February.

Another possibility is to give it those who have been playing before March of this year, which is when the game went down for extended maintenance.

We've all helped development of the game in some way, and it would be nice for other players to see it.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of a little gift for beta testers. It is a tricky situation though. Remember the exclusive headbands from back in the day? I think that would be more appropriate for something as common as being a beta tester. As much as I'd love to have a shiny gold name, I didn't get around to playing until after the extended maintenance -- mostly by choice, to forego playing until many bugs had been eliminated. So if the requirements for such a reward were to be raised above that, I'd have no grounds to argue.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of a little gift for beta testers. It is a tricky situation though. Remember the exclusive headbands from back in the day? I think that would be more appropriate for something as common as being a beta tester. As much as I'd love to have a shiny gold name, I didn't get around to playing until after the extended maintenance -- mostly by choice, to forego playing until many bugs had been eliminated. So if the requirements for such a reward were to be raised above that, I'd have no grounds to argue.

The reason I started TLOPO was due to the stunning lack of progress with another private server, Retribution specifically. As recently as March, was in more or less the same state as it was back in December, albeit more stable now. It was the desire for a more feature filled experience that drove me towards TLOPO, even if it meant dealing with bugs and memory leaks.

May I please state my argument for each of the following poll answers that I am against?

1. Joining the game in the first few weeks of full launch. (If this was the case than almost everyone would have a founder tag! We already have a ton of active users and there would be WAY too many people with the founder tag and it would no be at all special. We don't and probably aren't going to get that many new members after launch, and it would be crazy to give this many people the tag.

2. Alpha/Beta Testers with or without keys. Just like I stated above this would also be way too many users. Everyone would have this tag and it would be nothing to have it.

3. Given to the first number of players accounts. This would be very small. Yes it would be very special but it would be so so so small. Now I'm not total against this bc I would rather the number of people with tags be smaller rather than higher but this would just be very small.

4. No founder tags in game. I know its a huge argument but I really think that it would be nice to have them in the game.

I'm for both the following ways to give out founder:

Alpha Key Testers, All players with keys.

May I please state my argument for each of the following poll answers that I am against?

1. Joining the game in the first few weeks of full launch. (If this was the case than almost everyone would have a founder tag! We already have a ton of active users and there would be WAY too many people with the founder tag and it would no be at all special. We don't and probably aren't going to get that many new members after launch, and it would be crazy to give this many people the tag.

2. Alpha/Beta Testers with or without keys. Just like I stated above this would also be way too many users. Everyone would have this tag and it would be nothing to have it.

3. Given to the first number of players accounts. This would be very small. Yes it would be very special but it would be so so so small. Now I'm not total against this bc I would rather the number of people with tags be smaller rather than higher but this would just be very small.

4. No founder tags in game. I know its a huge argument but I really think that it would be nice to have them in the game.

I'm for both the following ways to give out founder:

Alpha Key Testers, All players with keys.

I am against the idea of having the founders tag be exclusively available to those with keys, simply because some people were never able to acquire them, either because they didn't have the luck for it, didn't know of IRC events, or weren't quick enough when keys were dropped during dev streams, or didn't watch dev streams until after the fact.

I am against the idea of having the founders tag be exclusively available to those with keys, simply because some people were never able to acquire them, either because they didn't have the luck for it, didn't know of IRC events, or weren't quick enough when keys were dropped during dev streams, or didn't watch dev streams until after the fact.
If people without keys were able to acquire the founders tag then everyone would have it.

If people without keys were able to acquire the founders tag then everyone would have it.
I am aware of that, but by it being dependent on luck or factors outside the game, it seems quite unfair. It wouldn't be special if everyone had it, but it would feel like people were cheated if people who joined the game after them got founder status just because they were able to get a hold of a key.

To reduce ambiguity, here's a clearer example:
A started playing as soon as the semi-open beta launched and was unable to acquire a beta key. B started playing in mid-February and did find a beta key.

We have a situation where the player who joined later got the founders coin just because luck was on his side either in game, or had a lucky friend, or was able to acquire one during one of the many dev streams. It's simply not fair to base it on a luck based system. I'd prefer an arbitrary cutoff date over whether or not they were lucky enough to get a beta key.

Last edited:
If you want founders tags to be given to key holders that's essentially saying they should be given not to the first players, they should be given to the first players who had luck on their side. I don't think so. I have been trying for alpha/beta keys since Pirates Online Rewritten and haven't had an ounce of luck. Having been able to play the alpha should've been enough of a reward for getting a key.

Also possibly they could look at giving them to certain players that joined before a certain time and played over a certain number of hours, but that required number of hours being fairly high but not to0 high for that some one that didnt have a key still has a chance of getting it because of their time spent and dedication, that could be a fair compromise if they did founder tags

Last edited:
Another possibility is to give it those who have been playing before March of this year, which is when the game went down for extended maintenance.

When discussing the matter with a guildmate a couple weeks ago I offered this exact same solution, and I still feel like it's the best course of action as this is what some other MMO's have done. For example, during the Destiny 1 beta, everyone who participated was retroactively given a unique emblem upon the game's full launch to show that they took part in it. Naturally other players who didn't/couldn't participate in the beta were upset over this, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ unfortunately there will always be people upset regardless of what happens.

At least this solution offers a middle ground, rather than only people with alpha/beta keys get the title, or literally everyone gets the title.

I feel like the Alpha/Beta testers should get it. This is because they helped contribute to the full release of the game that others get enjoy, counting consistent crashes and glitches. (Not complaining, this is to be expected from an Alpha/Beta situation), but it would feel good that even though all the work we're putting in now, and fun im having, playing the game, would mean something when it is all erased.

I honestly think that's quite the stretch. POTCO may have had that many registered players, but I'm sure a large amount of those accounts were inactive or were alts. I know I had at least 2 accounts (probably way more to be honest). And even if POTCO players would be interested in playing it again, who's to say they'd know where to go? Would they even remember the game to begin with? I think TLOPO will get 20,000 registered users after the initial startup wave hits and then it will slowly increase to maybe 100,000 or less within the first year or so, but the number of users who register will decline over time unless TLOPO finds the way to advertise. But at the same time, TLOPO has no need to advertise as they don't profit and really, when you think about it, the more people who find them the worse off they are financially. The more people, the more cost for servers. And since TLOPO has absolutely zero revenue from what we know of, it would be up to the staff to find a way to both put up the advertisements and host the new servers.
I feel that the game is almost entirely back to its old state, as when I play it I very rarely experience anything that reminds me it's in beta. Considering the devs plan to continue to update/add new content, I believe the game can steadily grow, especially considering it's free to play. The only thing that I believe could hold back the game's growth is if it doesn't grow fast enough, and players get bored that there's not a whole lot to do. I made a post on the "Suggestions" page awhile back about Guild Vs Guild content, and I think with some sort of competitive end game content besides just SvS can really keep the game alive. Just my 2 cents ;)

I would tend to agree with Mr. Jason O'Connell... My alternative thought (and this is one that would probably be unpopular in the community and would require a lot more thinking and work for the devs, moderators, etc) would be to bestow that on the individuals who have made a distinct, positive impact on the game and in the forums... I've only been here shy of two months, but even I can single out who a lot of these individuals are... They would include the devs, moderators, greeters who positively welcome new members (even if it is only official greeters), the winners of the contests that have produced in-game material and indeed other less obvious individuals who fit into this category of helpfulness, positive feedback and creating a warm and welcoming environment that is our TLOPO community... To me, these are the people who are worthy not just because they 'played as of a certain date' ... But these are people who have REALLY invested themselves in TLOPO and have directly contributed to its health and progress in some way. Like I say... This would be quite a process and it could conceivably lead to catcalls of 'favoritism' ... But to me it makes sense... Otherwise it may be best, as Jason said, to not have it at all. Good fortune and safe travels, 'til next we meet! :)

Last edited:
Back