Discussion Founder Discussion Poll

How would you like Founder Status to be earned in TLOPO?

• Total voters
This is just my two cents. Now I am not saying everyone is like this, but now it seems that for a lot of people, they want the Founders title as an ego boost. Or to feel 'Exclusive'.

Founders in the world of potco had a bit more significance as being the ones who helped in initial testing and/or were among the earliest members during the launch phase (and a minority) they were the most experienced, it was something special to see.
Here, now, If all the testers (Which is all of us) were awarded with something like that, all the significance would be lost.

Now this is my suggestion for TLOPO; (Please feel free to disagree as I am obviously a little bit bias on this topic :p)
Founders were the founding pirates of Potco, simple as that. Why would we want to replicate and mass produce something like that? We now have an opportunity here to create something brand new to show significance to the players who put in effort, time and energy into this wonderful project.
I would propose a new name color and badge be implemented for Alpha Testers and Beta Testers respectively, something that shows who they are and what they've done. We could be as creative as we'd like with this! Something like a Bright Pink name with a whole new badge design ;D

The Founders (the ones from POTCO) are the only real founders. If we only give the Founders badge to the Founders in TOPLO, the significance of the coin will remain strong and if anything be more than it used back in potco .

I think we have a real opportunity here to give everyone recognition for their accomplishments and commitments here, but it won't feel the same if we just print out thousands of the same thing, ya know?

Just to clarify, no offense or to burst anyone bubble, the POTCO founders were beta-testers or players that made their account and purchased Unlimited Access before December 2nd, 2007. If you did not purchase the Unlimited Access before that date you did not get the founder status. I should know because I was part of that so no different, special or more real than the alpha/beta testers of TLOPO.
Along the same lines it would be like saying the POTCO staff are the only real and special developers.
In fact some of TLOPO testers are the former POTCO testers, players and all that loved the game and brought it back to life.
We are all real and special and a sight to be seen, old and new alike.

"We can learn from history, but we can also deceive ourselves when we selectively take evidence from the past to justify what we have already made up our minds to do."

In conclusion, I disagree, I am proud to represent both the past and the present and I want to thank again the TLOPO Staff and Testers alike for making all possible so we can all enjoy our beloved game.

:pirate ship:

Last edited:
I was a founder in the original game. I won't lie, I miss the gold.

It was fun to help those new people because they always felt special being helped by a "founder," because they really didn't know what it meant. It just means someone who joined the game super early. And it should still have that meaning. The staff used to have it too, when they came to Islands for events. By the time the game was over, nobody really knew what it meant. I was asked constantly why my name was gold. They didn't know because most of us old timers had stopped playing, and the staff had for sure stopped coming online.

I joined the first day of it's opening. I saw the commercials on TV and counted down the days with my little brother. I even played when I was in the hospital at 14. We played until the last day, with breaks in-between of course.

I should also add that contests can't always be fair. And not everyone who helps out in the game is on this forum. And not everyone is recognized. And this forum doesn't like everyone and has equal opportunities. You guys have kept everything exactly the same, why deviate now? Founder means you were one of the first to play. It should still mean exactly that.

Pilgrims in America mean first European settlers. That title wasn't given to "special" Pilgrims who grow corn better than others. It just means one of the first. Same with Founder. Founders "settled" Pirates Online. Stupid comparison, I know.

Last edited:
I know I have already commented on this thread, but...

I feel like we should be grateful for just having the game that we don't have to pay for monthly or yearly for, like I said before no matter what they do with founder badges one person will always be unhappy. I would rather have all of us as normal players because it will defeat the purpose of FOUNDER badges.

I also feel like people just want the badge to show off to people that they are better than others and that they feel more important, that is also a reason why it could defeat the purpose of having a Founder Badge.

I'm not gonna lie, but the founder badge looks super cool and I would like one, but there will always be pros and cons to this subject.

If any, founder badge could be more used for a special program aimed to help new players find their way in the Caribbean. Since in the end, people will always eventually help each other. With or without a badge, it would also bring a incencitive for people to try and join the program. I am sure the specifics could be worked out one way or another but that's my take on bringing it back or at least attempt to make it so anyone can take pleasure in grabbing this badge.

The founder badge was also more of a special thank you for the people who played in the beta in the original POTCO.

Here with this, getting the game back is a big thank you in itself and I believe that we should not try to bring a new void between people who are currently playing because some got a founder badge and not. (If the special program doesn't get through.)

This is my opinion and idea on the matter and I don't want to see a schism I previously mentioned. Since we're all getting along reasonably well now and it would be a shame to let that go to ruin over who got founder and who did not.

I also feel like people just want the badge to show off to people that they are better than others and that they feel more important, that is also a reason why it could defeat the purpose of having a Founder Badge.
i just do not want (i will say it again)

years form now when i say i was in the closed alpha people laugh at me and say im lieing

I just do not want (i will say it again)

years from now when I say I was in the closed alpha people laugh at me and say im lieing

Why care what others think?

You know the truth so why even bother with people that say you didn't play alpha when you know that you did.

Reactions: Avb
because i do
969e79ab1fbe87ab1829eb450be0cc7a.png

Reactions: Avb
Why care what others think?

You know the truth so why even bother with people that say you didn't play alpha when you know that you did.

Let's not mix apples and oranges, the whole society functions on badges, trophies, medals, awards, diplomas and so on for specific reasons:
1. a device or token especially of membership in a society or group
2. a characteristic mark
3. an emblem awarded for a particular accomplishment
Lets take a particular example, there are medals in the forums, there are titles in the forums, there are likes in the forums, there are admin, moderators, lead moderators. By the same reasoning why do we need any of that? Everyone knows what they did and what they are and shouldn't care what others think about them.

Last edited:
I disliked the founder names for a personal reason. I started playing when I was 10 years old in 2007, early enough to be a founder, but I only got unlimited access a few weeks or so after the deadline ended. Even up to 2013 I used the same account with my old bodies and inventories full of discontinued clothing and jewelry (yes there was discontinued jewelry)

It always made me extremely jealous to see a founder name tag, because I was too young at the time to know about it

How about no founders but a badge for playing in Beta and a badge for playing in Alpha. This way not everybody has a founder badge. At this point i'm sure alpha testers are a minority being that the game blew up after beta started.

You won't be needing it anymore! Previously, Beta Keys allowed players to bypass the queue and session time limits. With Open Beta, all players will have unlimited playtime! Players who had Beta Keys will receive a reward that will be announced later. Don't worry! If you don't have a key, there will be a period of time to redeem any unused Beta Keys we may have laying around.

Back