Freedom of Speech

I like how the mods handled thread, such as one I created, "Wow" it was a very factual thread, and provided good information, unfortunately drama did eventually break out and they (rightfully) closed the thread.

The other part while, yes somebody was SWATed, TLOPO's staff was never involved, and I fully guarantee any real follower of TLOPO would not wish this to happen to anybody. Sure, there are some bad apples among the community, but no staff member was behind this.
Well, I agree with you, but I must point out the glaring No True Scotsman fallacy in that post

Last edited by a moderator:
...of it being released, which unfortunately, pushed back the said date.
May I ask you; why is there even a said date in the first place? What good does an actual date serve and to whom? If things go wrong, wouldn't the natural/human tendency be towards someone trying to come up with an excuse as to why the dead-line wasn't met? :confused:

What are your own thoughts on this, my friend?

I would like to remind everyone, and specifically the OP, that you are not entitled to freedom of speech on an online forum, whatsoever. This site and many others like it are private services, which means they have no obligation to allow you to freely speak your mind. That said, our staff are very gracious and give us that right 90% of the time. The only time they ever disallow totally free speech is when they feel that a subject is either prone to spur off into some kind of flame war or they feel they've already answered all the questions anyone could ask making any further discussion rather pointless. Or, of course, when it violates their Terms of Service which they are certainly entitled to since it is, once again, their own private service that you aren't required to use.

Furthermore, there is positively no evidence that TLOPO or any of its staff/affiliates have taken any aggressive action towards another remake or its staff/supporters. To claim that such an attack has occurred is extremely immature and flat-out irresponsible. The culprit of these attacks will most certainly be found and if this truly did happen to a another remake staff member or someone they know, I'm very sorry for them. But when people definitively blame TLOPO for these kinds of things - not even considering the idea that some other unaffiliated party is responsible - with basically no evidentiary basis, of course they're going to get defensive and shut down some threads. Those accusations are completely absurd and obviously leave people on edge. So if you want this type of free speech to continue, OP, you and any others who wish to accuse TLOPO of these attacks are going to need to comply, and really, to realize that TLOPO is by no means responsible.

I would like to remind everyone, and specifically the OP, that you are not entitled to freedom of speech on an online forum, whatsoever. This site and many others like it are private services, which means they have no obligation to allow you to freely speak your mind.

You are absolutely right my friend. My apologies; forgive me.

So if you want this type of free speech to continue, OP, you and any others who wish to accuse TLOPO of these attacks are going to need to comply, and really, to realize that TLOPO is by no means responsible.

I have never accused TLOPO of the attacks on another remake. Again, may the best emulator win.

...I have never accused TLOPO of the attacks on another remake. Again, may the best emulator win.
I understand this gesture. It's commendable.:) However, saying that someone will WIN also implies that someone will LOSE. Last time I checked, this wasn't a contest...

To keep from embracing the mindset of winner versus loser, how about embracing first the mindset of what a positive emulator/private server can bring to people. I know very little about such things. However, I can share with you that where someone's intention lies that is where their own motivation (and their heart) remains as well.

It makes absolutely no sense to me why someone would publicly embrace the blame game when there is so much more they could do to publicly prove themselves. *If there's something there worthy to respect, let's see it! Let's see the end result and let it not come from just someone's wide-opened mouth (or further 'stolen' code). As such, Jack Sparrow's lips sputtered out this familiar quote: "In the end, the only thing which matters is what a man can and what a man cannot do."
If it were myself circumventing that particular quote, I would have added as well,"...as long as your intent is fair, sincere, and true!"

Let's see the end result

Yes, let us see the end result indeed. Hopefully by then, everyone will stop being a bunch of babies and start forgiving each other and to eventually become as a one big happy family just like 3 years ago; a reunion if you will; for this is what we all truly want, Just thinking about POTCO being separated by factions makes me sick.

An undivided POTCO community, that is peacefully thriving onwards into the future with a long period of prosperity, is what we all need.

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with the discussion of either, it is when you pit the two against each other that there are various disagreements. If anything, this situation is much different from the usual veering away of political and religious talk. This is simply because, unlike the previous two topics, another remake v. TLOPO is being spoken on sites that are very dedicated to the reconstruction of POTCO. It is much more personable, and it can easily be something that blows up in everyone's faces. It is a delicate topic.

The discussion is allowed, no harm there. But when it comes down to making it something of competition or unnecessary rivalry it is clear that it heightens tensions in our greater community. The mission of this forums is not just to promote TLOPO, that is why it still is the Pirates Forums and not TLOPO's Official Forums (TLOPO does list it as their official forums, and by agreement it is their official forums, but it is not solely their forums).

Discuss another remake, but adhere to the terms and conditions. Discuss TLOPO, but adhere to the terms and conditions. Discuss both in the same thread, but adhere to the terms and conditions. It's a website, not a place directly subject to the United States Constitution. It is a virtual space. I am not trying to promote the ultimate censorship of the century (believe me I am one of the most passionate people against censorship) but there is a stark difference from discussing two emulators very close to the community in a calmly manner, and unleashing all of hell loose unto the community simply because "Freedom of Speech" and "Murica" because that just simply is not going to hold up.

I applaud the efforts of the moderators and staff to keep another remake a topic of discussion.
What is this? Kindergarten
It's keeping the peace in the greater community. It is a virtual space, where users from across the world meet, thereby meaning it is not bound by laws of a state in the real world. If you truly want to get into the legality of this, you basically said at registration of your account that you agree to abide by those terms and conditions and the fallout of your actions if you violate them. I don't want to sound harsh or anything, it is just an explanation to your question of what this all is.

I challenge you to play and enjoy the game tlopo is developing and recreating for you instead of caring about whats going on 'behind the scenes'. It doesnt concern and shouldnt be worried about by the users here in the least. <3

I challenge you to play and enjoy the game tlopo is developing and recreating for you instead of caring about whats going on 'behind the scenes'. It doesnt concern and shouldnt be worried about by the users here in the least. <3
Problem is, game-play itself is only one half of the aspect which is currently now upon everyone's minds. The other half involves external opinions (outside of TLOPO) which are obviously being posted elsewhere and to which everyone - rightfully so - would like to understand the legitimacy behind.

Other people's curiousities (which have arisen), are not going to simply go away on the basis of game-play alone being accomplished. Those curiousities (and deep-felt questions) are likely going to continue on/fester regardless of the status of actual game-play. I am no expert but it seems to me the only way to defeat the under-toll of said festering is to permit such a thread like this to exist where communication and mutual understanding itself becomes the goal (to where one anti-TLOPO supporter - at a time - walks away better enlightened).

Very well put :)
This decision is and has never been up to me but, I feel the best thing TLOPO could do for themselves is come-out with a Public Service Announcement (PSA) of sorts which addresses the very accusations Retribution and others have claimed against them. Granted, people are going to be biased anyway towards the counter-claims made but then again...people are already biased at this very moment we do speak so where's the harm in at least trying to change other people's minds?
The lesson from Disney is that
silence KILLS :boom: trust! I would have hoped by now that everyone understood that.

Other people's curiousities (which have arisen), are not going to simply go away on the basis of game-play alone being accomplished. Those curiousities (and deep-felt questions) are likely going to continue on/fester regardless of the status of actual game-play. I am no expert but it seems to me the only way to defeat the under-toll of said festering is to permit such a thread like this to exist where communication and mutual understanding itself becomes the goal (to where one anti-TLOPO supporter - at a time - walks away better enlightened).

That's what I'm sayin! ;)

Back