Frigate, Brig, Galleon, or Sloop?

Which ship?

• Total voters

Henry Smidget

Buccaneer
Hello everyone, I recently started player pirates online about 3 weeks ago.
I have played before, but I thought I would come back on, one of my friends reminded me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been sailing a lot, and been saving up for a War class ship. I just can't make up my mind on which one I should save for.

Instead of going on my own and buying a War sloop (which I have enough for), I would like to hear everyone's opinions about their experiences with the war class ships. I was first onto the War Galleon, but soon started shunning it because I was told to buy the next ship. After looking at the wiki, which shows armor, sails, cannons ect - I have been leaning towards the War Frigate that I notice has the most armor of all of them. But, I am still unsure.

I'm excited to hear everyone's opinion on this topic.

Sincerely,
Henry Smidget

brig. all the way. its got te perfect package. it has speed, armor, guns, and space. its like all the other ships had a baby 0_o

War Brig for sailing - Light sloop for svs
Yezzzz.............

brig. all the way. its got te perfect package. it has speed, armor, guns, and space. its like all the other ships had a baby 0_o

It has too much, actually... way too easy to hit, way too high to accurately gun from. I'd say it's doing better than the Frigate, but I don't really like it that much .-.

...Anyone have any thoughts or concerns about War Galleons?

War Galleons are so "tempting!" It's as if Disney is teasing us to take a bite of the apple from the forbidden tree (or 'evil witch' concoction).
3058279900_2e578a7ca7.jpg

While there exist positives about the War Galleon (i.e, large cargo hold, broadside cannons, beastly armor), I do no suggest you rely upon this ship to do your initial material runs. It's just too slow, mate. By the time you catch sight of a Hunter/War - class ship, you may very well be spending more gold than receiving it (in the form of repairs made at the local shipwright).

Of course, this is just my opinion! *I would be willing to listen to othes concerning the War Galleon as someone's "initial" material runs ship :xbones:

Back when I first started POTCO in 2008, my plan was as follows:
War Galleon to get the loot to save up for my War Frigate and then a War Sloop.

As I played more, SVS came out and we all discovered that the War Sloop was ideal in SVS because of speed, making it harder to hit. So, my War Sloop became my SVS ship.
I also discovered that the War Galleon was the hardest and slowest to sail, and also the biggest target out there for anything to hit. My War Frigate then became my cargo ship.

I sold my War Galleon for the Bill Ironskull tribute and bought a second War Frigate. Had it until the new ship came out. I had to have a War Brig! It has the speed of a War Sloop and the cargo of a War Frigate. Of course the customization is here as well. This will help you to make your decision, I'm sure.

So, here is what I've done with my ships:
War Sloop - Streamline upgrade, SVS ship
War Frigate - Cargo upgrade with Take Cover rigging, used for plundering runs
War Brig - Leaning toward Hull upgrade with goal of having the Skull and Cross bones. Plan is to use it for Fleets and some plundering, maybe the occasional SVS run.

Good luck in your choice, but remember with the customization, you can design your ship for your needs. ;)

War sloops are too weak - you'd die in an instant against bountyhunters. Fast, yes, but low on cargo and armor.

War galleon is slow, huge - but good for cargo. If you're a good sailor, and know to use take cover, you should be fine against rank 3 bountyhunters with a crew. Wouldn't recommend rank 4 using a war galleon, you'd be a sitting duck with that slow speed.

War brig is big, hard to sail - and it only has the same speed as a war frigate. It is also 20k more than a war frigate, o_o.

War frigate has good armor, good speed, and good cargo - It's not too big, and it has enough cargo for plunder runs. A war frigate with cargo upgrade would be your best bet for plundering, and for the final rank, Fortune Hunter.

I'd say war frigate. I'm not a big fan of war brigs, because I've always had a war frigate.

I have a war sloop and a war galleon. The sloop I mostly use for getting around the ocean quickly (mostly for quests on wild islands). I use my galleon for plundering. I would recommend getting a war frigate (probably gonna get it next). Back to the war galleon, I have a level 1 streamline upgrade, because it's just sooo slow.

War brig is big, hard to sail - and it only has the same speed as a war frigate. It is also 20k more than a war frigate, o_o.
War brigs are same speed as war sloops-- 10 knots without windcatcher. With 5 points on windcatcher, 12 knots.

As for my vote, Sloops. I will put it up against anything as long as i got me mateys with me.:cannon:

I prefer the war frigate because it is faster, more armor, and it has 4 front cannons perfect for coming in the back of a ship and shooting at it.
The war brig and war galleon are to big and slow for me the brig only has 2 front cannons and the galleon has none
The war sloop is perfect for svs or just sailing for fun because it is fast, and easy to turn.

War frigate has good armor, good speed, and good cargo - It's not too big, and it has enough cargo for plunder runs. A war frigate with cargo upgrade would be your best bet for plundering, and for the final rank, Fortune Hunter.

I'd say war frigate. I'm not a big fan of war brigs, because I've always had a war frigate.

I personally chosen War Frigate as well, over the War Brig :D. I say this because I am a HUGE fan of the War Frigate's bow (or 'front') cannons. Let me explain to you why.

When you position the bow/front of the War Frigate with the "nose" of another ship you can...
  1. drop anchor,
  2. give orders to your crew to jump on the front cannons,
  3. press/engage the DOWN arrow key on your keyboard,
  4. sit back & relax as you watch your ship go in reverse suffering very little (if any) damage at all!
This sailing technique is especially helpful in the beginning of your plundering runs as you begin to sail against high reputation ships (such as EITC Behemoths, Death Omens, Harbingers, & EITC Corsairs).

"Yes," the War Brig does has front cannons as well but each is set at an angle to where the cannoneer is unable to shoot directly ahead of the ship towards enemy ships sailing straight at you.

Although the War Brig's advantages are impressive, I do not consider these "extras" as reason enough (yet) to justify it's enormous cost. Afterall,, I am just a poor pirate who buries me gold & NOT some King or Queen of England :p

The war brig and war galleon are to big and slow for me the brig only has 2 front cannons and the galleon has none
The galleon has 2 as well because the top cannons can aim towards the front of the ship though idk if their range is a good as the brigs

War brigs are same speed as war sloops-- 10 knots without windcatcher. With 5 points on windcatcher, 12 knots.

As for my vote, Sloops. I will put it up against anything as long as i got me mateys with me.:cannon:
Not on ram. Only 20 knots, even with 2 points boost on windcatcher.

Back